Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

"Pom" watch

290 posts in this topic

He's got the best tip on I've seen.

I don't think Raiders getting raped is a spoiler. Seriously, if it is then the game is spoilt after 8 mins anyway. Stupid decision to read this thread, you deserve it.

We were terrible today, again. Made it easy for the Warriors whole game.

Milford has a long, long way to go before he's Tomkins level or other top fullbacks.

I think saying Tomkins defeated Dugan is a bit far I think they were evenly matched. Both played very well over the two games.

Tomkins today was very very good today. His ball handling and passing game is the best of any full back by some distance IMO. The passes he did for a few of the Warriors tries Hurrell on the right and I think Vatuvei finished two off on the left from Tomkins brilliance although I may be wrong.

He's been on top form these last 4 games. I think he is finally starting to look comfortable. I think for the first 5 games he was very good in attack but shaky in other aspects in the game. Now I'd say he is very good in attack but comfortable in other aspects of the game.

Hopefully his form continues.

Dugan was very good Agreed that secound game V the Dragons ( Dugan was out injured in the first game ) I would have given a a close points decision to Dugan till Tomkins scored a one on one try beating Dugan with a step.

My post was partly tongue in Cheek.....certainly Sams competing against the Biggest pool of talented Fullbacks in the NRL's  history......It's a long list of quality names......he still has to get his own back V Hayne.....play Barba  and the formidable challenge that is Greg Inglis....then there are veteran Champions Like Miniciello the list goes on.

Giving Tomkins a player like Hurrell is dynamite.....the Warriors have been dreadful this year.....now that they have changed coaches ( McFadden really is changing the core problems at the Warriors at the source ) Sam's decision to play with them and not some of the other teams will be making sense to him.

Tomkins suits their style of play..

Had Manu butter fingers Vatupies caught two of Sams passes.......Tomkins would have ended that game on something like Six try assists  , one Try,

He's got the best tip on I've seen.

I don't think Raiders getting raped is a spoiler. Seriously, if it is then the game is spoilt after 8 mins anyway. Stupid decision to read this thread, you deserve it.

We were terrible today, again. Made it easy for the Warriors whole game.

Milford has a long, long way to go before he's Tomkins level or other top fullbacks.

Tough game to watch for Canberra fans CGD.

I felt sorry for Bill Tupou tonight.....I really did.....he looks like he is well out of his depth in the NRL. I couldn't understand Canberra signing Bill....they just gave the Warriors a known game plan ( target Bill ) to use every  time he plays against them.

There was a risk that the Warriors would come out flat after a bye ( they always do )  but having the players mums flown in from all over the place was a smart way to tap into their psychie....McFadden is doing a remarkable job.

I think saying Tomkins defeated Dugan is a bit far I think they were evenly matched. Both played very well over the two games.

Tomkins today was very very good today. His ball handling and passing game is the best of any full back by some distance IMO. The passes he did for a few of the Warriors tries Hurrell on the right and I think Vatuvei finished two off on the left from Tomkins brilliance although I may be wrong.

He's been on top form these last 4 games. I think he is finally starting to look comfortable. I think for the first 5 games he was very good in attack but shaky in other aspects in the game. Now I'd say he is very good in attack but comfortable in other aspects of the game.

Hopefully his form continues.

He might have acclimatised to NRL quicker, if the Warriors hadn't been playing so badly in those early rounds. We'll never know now, but I'm looking forward to more and more from him as the season progresses.

Jordan Baldwinson scored his first try for the NZ Warriors yesterday in the u/20's.

I was pleased for him, he and Mason Tonks have struggled to make that side.

Jordan doesn't get the ball much from his team mates...he's always looking to work off the ball.

I say it often, but ut's been at least 2 weeks, so... The pity is that the NRL are not seeing the full early era Sam repertoire. For a few years he was so fast he would regularly run the length and leave trails of defenders behind him. I fear that explosiveness has gone. Looking good, though, with a lot more to come, as he adjusts to the players around him. Give him another 10 games and then the Warriors runners will be hitting gaps all day every day.

Dont know how Ricky Stuart keeps getting jobs as he is useless! Canberra have had over 100 points put past them in 2 weeks. Tomkins and the warriors played well but the Raiders gifted them the game. Widdop needs a decent halfback to take the pressure of him. I am not sure benji will do that as Benji likes to be boss and play unstructured while Gaz Widdop is more structured player. 

Slightly ? off thread the Guardian website has a table with the latest Sats on the popularity of the 4 football codes in Australia.

The TV viewing figures are the most heartening from a League perspective and the participation figures for Association Football the most surprising or may be not ?

The viewing figures surely tell us ,when it comes to entertainment the winner is The Greatest game.

Thanks Bob. When I try to create a link it goes off into outer space. 

Sams got some attention on the Aussie league talk shows this weekend:

Peter Sterling mentioned how they rave about Sam Burgess , but it's becoming obvious Tomkins is another special English player, he rated Tomkins tip on passes as among the greatest plays he has ever seen.

Matty John's started his Warriors R.V by saying it's good to see Sam Tomkins catching on Fire in the NRL.

Thought I'd bump this up.

I've only really been watching the Warriors games recently and the highlights on YouTube's for all the other games but the Tomkins has been playing absolutely superb recently. Was really frustrating the eels today got some rough treatment for it aswell and scored a try he had no right to score. It seems he has got his confidence back also as he actively looked to take on the line making a couple of breaks.

Any reports on Widdop, Graham, Burgess clan, Cooper ect who are also plying their trade in the NRL.

He's playing with a more confident team, too, so he can attempt more and let the talent around him benefit from his play.

widdops been looking fantastic

jammer his usual self

tom burgess has been running with a lot more agression and is playing more like george with every game....which can only be a good thing

Sam was great in the Warriors game today, scored a couple of good tries and looked solid throughout, with a few glimpses of the magic he showed so frequently when at Wigan.

The Warriors favourite pet play seems to be the split/lead play down the right edge, with Tomkins as the split and getting early ball to a rampaging Konrad Hurrell. Worked well in various guises throughout the game today. 

Think Tomkins picked up MoM also.

Just watched the Warriors v Eels game again but mainly focused on Tomkins' game and you can see the differences in his game and has adapted to the NRL.

One major difference between the NRL and SL which Tomkins has had to learn is how to approach a gap. In SL you hit gaps as fast as you can and if you have enough pace you will generally get through the gap. In NRL with the tighter defences you have to hit gaps with more aggressive and be prepared for impact - you only make a break in the NRL untouched if it is a huge gap against a stretched defence. The evidence of this is in Mannerings try where he put his foot down and powered through the hole rather than tried to just get through it. Not many players in the world would of made it through the gap so it was a great effort from him. He is also now outstanding under the high ball. The past few games he has had so much confidence under it. In wet conditions yesterday he was unbelievably good and looked extremely solid.

Another aspect which I think is slightly coming into his game is winding the opposition up and winning penalties (like in 2011). He won 3 penalties today which just seemed to be the opposition getting agitated by him. I'm not sure if it was due to his play or was he saying things in the tackle i'm not sure.

Both of his tries he showed a lot of strength and determination to get the ball down. The first one he stepped 2 players and then muscled through 2 players to put the ball down which was a great effort and as the commentators said he had no right to score. He's still elusive as ever nearly every time he touched the ball he beat a man, he was referred to as untouchable which seemed to be the case.

Tomkins does seem a little bit lightweight but apart from that he seems to be there or there abouts as a world class full back. He gels the Warriors backline together and gives the Warriors than structure to compliment the hard running forwards they have in the side. I do believe they will be a threat come the end of the season in the play offs.

On another note Hurrell is scary, I don't get how you can defend against him close to the line. He knocks someone over every time he has the ball. If New Zealand have a right hand side attack of Hurrell and Tuivesa Sheck we are in deep trouble.

Hurrell played for Tonga in the wc so will hopefully stick with them and hopefully not play against us for nz in the 4n! Agree that lad is scary not only from 20 yards but over about 50 has a good turn of pace for someone of his size.

Agree Re Tomkins his game is really adapting to the nrl and he has galvanised what used to be a hit and miss attack for the warriors. Two good tries yesterday and very strong in general play. Still think he needs to work on his defence a bit but generally excellent.

Graham too was again outstanding yesterday think he played virtually the full game against the storm in a really tough encounter. I have to say he is not far behind Sam Burgess as one of the best forwards in the world and has actually changed the way the prop forwards now need to play in the nrl. He is an extra halfback, a leader, and does all the little things almost perfectly. The Aussie commentators can't get enough of him and always give him big wraps.

Also have to say widdop is still blossoming as a very competent halfback even with benji now with the dragon's and cooper continues to surprise me with is solid and sometimes excellent performances, he doesn't look at all out of place in the nrl.

Cooper continues to surprise me with is solid and sometimes excellent performances, he doesn't look at all out of place in the nrl.

I also thought Mike Cooper was under-rated at Wire and never got enough game time. Made of granite and always willing to take the ball forward, I thought he'd do very well in the NRL...

Great to see Tomkins playing very well and adapting to the different style of the NRL, along with all the other lads playing over there; long may it continue.

RE Tomkins, i also think he's had to adapt to not being the superstar in the team and not having the pressure to be THE person who creates the majority of chances, either for himself or for others, this has improved his game a lot too, as an early ball to someone like Hurrell when the defence is on the back foot can be devastating, as we've witnessed with quite a few tries down that right edge. With the likes of Johnson, Townsend, Hurrell, Mautalino and Mateo in the side Tomkins can chip in when its on, and not have to worry about being the one who creates the big plays.

I have caught up now with the Warriors game, and Sam was very good. I think he has adjusted his style not because of the NRL, but because of the new limitations in what he can achieve speed wise. Some of the great things about him are his indomitable spirit and will to win, and footballing intelligence. These are standing him in great stead. It has taken a lot of NRLers a lot longer than him to adapt to SL.

Pleased for Sam.

He hung in there through a form dip, he fought his way back to his comfort zone in the NRL.

The Warriors have been building ever since Mcfadden took over the coaching reigns after round five.

When the Warriors find their self belief they are the most dangerous team in the NRL. In some ways it was good for Sam to have a few off games....that would have won him empathy and understanding among his current peers.

Sam has copped a lot of dirt....NRL coaches are using that ploy to put him off his game.

Sams handled it well....he has had poor to no suport from his team mates when the niggle is on ( direct result of the Warriors being one of the most penalised teams by Aussie Reffs...they play squeeky clean because of it ).

So Sam has been having to suck it up when nobs like Radradradradra ....put a knee on his throat.

As you would have seen lately Sams new friends like Konrad Hurrell come racing in to defend him.

In that regard Sams ability to make it a bit personal for the Warriors is a god send......seeing them fire up for Sam warms the cokles of my heart after all these years of sucking up to Refs

Sam fires the boys up ...this team needs it and will likely go into the finals from nowhere because of it.

For me Widdop is typical of what a Storm Player often is- Consistant and does the Little things right. He is obviously at the Dragons but the Storm influence is there to see. Very much like Cronk with his kicking, Vision and how he controls the side. Tomkins- much like the Warriors is still a bit inconsistant. The Change of Coach has helped him I think as it has the Team. Graham and Burgess are again Quality Players but also very consistant

For me Widdop is typical of what a Storm Player often is- Consistant and does the Little things right. He is obviously at the Dragons but the Storm influence is there to see. Very much like Cronk with his kicking, Vision and how he controls the side. Tomkins- much like the Warriors is still a bit inconsistant. The Change of Coach has helped him I think as it has the Team. Graham and Burgess are again Quality Players but also very consistant

Warriors still abit in consistent yet have won 7 out of there last 9 games. You're right about Tomkins' form reflecting how well the Warriors are performing though.