Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

"Pom" watch

290 posts in this topic

Big fish in a little pond and all that, does he have a history of whining at refs?

Don't all Australians?

Really? If Hayne is so good, why is he playing for the worst team in Australia?

Your response to somebody saying Hayne was outplaying Tomkins is "why is he playing for the worst team in Australia"? :laugh:

I'll put that down to rush of blood.

Your response to somebody saying Hayne was outplaying Tomkins is "why is he playing for the worst team in Australia"? :laugh:

You can put it down to whatever you like.

I presume we can also put down you dismissing Tomkins after one game to a bout of Cyclops Syndrome?

Hayne was OK, Tomkins did some good things, and some poor things, albeit behind a well beaten pack.

Let's give the lad a chance before we write him off. If I recall correctly, Hayne has had some absolute shockers over the years.

How is the world class NRL superstar Matty Bowen getting on in SL? Dropped in favour of a teenager last week....

As expected for me Tomkins is a good player and will do OK in the NRL. But he is not the superstar some on here think. 

As expected for me Tomkins is a good player and will do OK in the NRL. But he is not the superstar some on here think. 

Then SL has no superstars. I sometimes wonder why anyone watches RL.

How is the world class NRL superstar Matty Bowen getting on in SL? Dropped in favour of a teenager last week....

Its off thread but..

Bowen looks like he may have moved to England just for the money and contract length, early days and he may well come good.

He looks out of condition and not that interested.

You have to be careful paying over the odds for a 32 year old Fullback that has had a history of knee problems and although its not always the case its often the case that Aboriginal players often struggle playing too far away from their local community.

England is a long way from Cairns.

I presume we can also put down you dismissing Tomkins after one game to a bout of Cyclops Syndrome?

Nice one, when did I do that?

I am sure that we could all have a detailed discussion about our memories of the first couple of games of Adrian Morley, Jonathan Davies, Kevin Ward, Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess et al.

What's that?? No, I can't remember them either.

I hope McBanana was watching.

Why? He'd still only play on the bench or at centre anyway.

Nice one, when did I do that?

Your overall commentary on his performance has been super negative, and you know that.

Give the lad a chance, just like I presume you have over the years with Hayne, Slater, etc, etc, etc.

Why? He'd still only play on the bench or at centre anyway.

Since when has a halfback playing outstanding rugby for his club been a reason to get picked for england

Widdop also showed how he can dominate a game. He needs to be given his head for England and we should be building a team around him at 6.

Widdop also showed how he can dominate a game. He needs to be given his head for England and we should be building a team around him at 6.

Agreed. I have watched every televised game this weekend, and Widdop's performance was the best of all the stand-offs on show.

Since when has a halfback playing outstanding rugby for his club been a reason to get picked for england

Since mal Reilly stopped being coach of GB.

Stop talking sense but we're talking about McNamara here, during the world cup the Aussies couldn't believe that he didn't start at 6 for England. If he hadn't chosen to represent England he'd be a shoe in for origin this year or even last year.

Stop talking sense but we're talking about McNamara here, during the world cup the Aussies couldn't believe that he didn't start at 6 for England. If he hadn't chosen to represent England he'd be a shoe in for origin this year or even last year.

If Widdop can keep up the kind of form he showed earlier today, then hopefully we have seen the last of the likes of Sinfield and Chase at Stand Off.

If the England coach can't see how good that kid was today, then all hope is lost. Therefore I look forward to another 5 years of old men and headless chickens at SO.

I enjoy watching players like Myler, Burrow, Chase etc. but they will never ever be able to control a game. International football is about composure. It's about knowing when to run and when to pass. It's about knowing when to chance and when to play percentages. It is about the kick being as important as the pass.

Craig Bellamy is no fool and St George have made Widdop the most expensive signing on their roster.

If Widdop can keep up the kind of form he showed earlier today, then hopefully we have seen the last of the likes of Sinfield and Chase at Stand Off.

If the England coach can't see how good that kid was today, then all hope is lost. Therefore I look forward to another 5 years of old men and headless chickens at SO.

I'd rather have widdop on one leg than chase and sinfield.

Maybe.

Also, I'm just watching it back again, and Hayne's response to the ref when told about the 8 point try is like that of a 4 year old child.

Maybe he is playing for the Eels because the other teams in the league prefer grown ups?

Yeah, I'm sure nobody in the NRL wants one of the best fullbacks in the world because of the manner in which he speaks to referees...

That's what I don't understand. Only recently McBanana was trying to find as many NRL Aussies as possible to play for England, surely he would want an English 6 playing well in the NRL. 

Your overall commentary on his performance has been super negative, and you know that.

Give the lad a chance, just like I presume you have over the years with Hayne, Slater, etc, etc, etc.

What are you smoking and can I have some please?

In whose eyes is Matty Bowen a world class superstar? Nobody in the NRL rated him enough to give him a decent contract - that speaks volumes.

I am sure that we could all have a detailed discussion about our memories of the first couple of games of Adrian Morley, Jonathan Davies, Kevin Ward, Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess et al.

What's that?? No, I can't remember them either.

Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess, Sam Burgess etc all had strong/stand-out debuts.

I remember them.

Then SL has no superstars. I sometimes wonder why anyone watches RL.

SL has Superstars like Ryan Hall for example that would go very well in the NRL. But SL is a inferior comp standard wise. That doesnt make it a comp nobody wants to watch and some games are more exciting to watch than NRL. It doesnt mean that there are no players that would go well in the NRL neither SL, like the Championship below it, has a lot to offer. Even though the standards of SL are alot poorer than the NRL it does offer things that the NRL doesnt and you will often see alot more open rugby played than in the NRL: 

When has Bowen been classed World Class? He never made the Australian team and rarely the Queensland team. He WAS a fine attacking player, but sadly the injuries have caught up and he is not the same played he was 3 or 4 years ago. Its probably why the Cowboys didnt offer him a contract and why nobody else from the NRL stepped in. There a number of good Fullbacks in the NRL.