Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

"Pom" watch

290 posts in this topic

In whose eyes is Matty Bowen a world class superstar? Nobody in the NRL rated him enough to give him a decent contract - that speaks volumes.

Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess, Sam Burgess etc all had strong/stand-out debuts.

I remember them.

Okay I'll take your word for that. Bit different taking 15 one-out hit ups and making a bunch of solid tackles than trying to control a side you've never played with, getting peppered with high balls and asked to create magic in a well-beaten side. The guy must have been nervous and would have been targeted by a Parra side with a massive lead-in time to this game. My prediction is that ST will be killing it in the NRL within 3 months.

When has Bowen been classed World Class? He never made the Australian team and rarely the Queensland team. He WAS a fine attacking player, but sadly the injuries have caught up and he is not the same played he was 3 or 4 years ago. Its probably why the Cowboys didnt offer him a contract and why nobody else from the NRL stepped in. There a number of good Fullbacks in the NRL.

The production line that rolls out these fullbacks in the NRL is pretty scary, how good is Ben Barba and Anthony Milford.

Agreed. I have watched every televised game this weekend, and Widdop's performance was the best of all the stand-offs on show.

Really you must have missed Thurston and the Cowboys then. 

His try was absolute class. He is still at the very top of his game.

:lol:

Where have CGD and I said we want Tomkins to fail? I want him to succeed down here. I watched the game tonight just to see how well he went on.

I was passing comment on what I was watching in front of me. Hayne massively outplayed Tomkins.

Since when does that mean I don't want him to play well though?

As for the stupid comment about why he plays for the worst team in the NRL, over here it's different. Parra would make our 8 in SL. Teams aren't far apart, although Parra have been poor the last few years.

By that argument though you could say that JT isn't the best 6 in the world because he plays for the Cowboys who haven't really been anywhere for years.

You really underestimate the strength over here.

Didn't get this far before posting. Great minds hey :)

Well Simmo got on the ultra defensive for no reason :lol:

Look, I live in Australia but am English and want to see English players succeed down here. I think Tomkins will go well too. All CGD and I did was pass comment on tonight's game. After all, isn't this thread called pom watch?

The sooner English people accept that the NRL is vastly superior to the Super League the quicker we will catch up. That's not to say our top teams aren't of a decent standard though. Leeds-Hudds on Friday was as good as anything in the NRL this weekend, both entertainment and quality wise.

Tomkins wasn't great but he wasn't poor either. He was playing in a pretty poor side, especially the pack who were pretty woeful to be honest. He made 2 errors but then again he set up 2 tries so not that bad a day at the office. He's obviously going to scrutinised much more than any player due to the hype about him in SL.

Tomkins will probably take 10ish games to adjust. He's played 2 games against NRL opposition one he was absolute quality the other he was average.

On other note Widdop was world class.

Okay I'll take your word for that. Bit different taking 15 one-out hit ups and making a bunch of solid tackles than trying to control a side you've never played with, getting peppered with high balls and asked to create magic in a well-beaten side. The guy must have been nervous and would have been targeted by a Parra side with a massive lead-in time to this game. My prediction is that ST will be killing it in the NRL within 3 months.

Hopefully. He looked potent in the trial against the Broncos and still managed to play a role in two or the Warriors tries against the Eels. Warriors were all round, for the most part. 

:lol:

Where have CGD and I said we want Tomkins to fail? I want him to succeed down here. I watched the game tonight just to see how well he went on.

I was passing comment on what I was watching in front of me. Hayne massively outplayed Tomkins.

Since when does that mean I don't want him to play well though?

As for the stupid comment about why he plays for the worst team in the NRL, over here it's different. Parra would make our 8 in SL. Teams aren't far apart, although Parra have been poor the last few years.

By that argument though you could say that JT isn't the best 6 in the world because he plays for the Cowboys who haven't really been anywhere for years.

You really underestimate the strength over here.

No, I don't. I know it is a good comp, but generally it is not half as good as people like you make it out to be.

As I said, I have watched every game that Premier Sports has shown this weekend, and some of it has been absolutely dire.

It's not my fault that people like you can't look at it objectively.

No, I don't. I know it is a good comp, but generally it is not half as good as people like you make it out to be.

As I said, I have watched every game that Premier Sports has shown this weekend, and some of it has been absolutely dire.

It's not my fault that people like you can't look at it objectively.

Objectively? Some has been dire? Wests were dire, so were the Warriors. Again though, put those two in the SL and they are still top 8 material. I don't love the nrl more than the SL. I watch both leagues and see the football in front of me. Put London, Catalan, Bradford in this weekends games over here and you would see scores of 60+.

Oh, and if by dire you mean boring, don't confuse entertainment with quality.

Objectively? Some has been dire? Wests were dire, so were the Warriors. Again though, put those two in the SL and they are still top 8 material. I don't love the nrl more than the SL. I watch both leagues and see the football in front of me. Put London, Catalan, Bradford in this weekends games over here and you would see scores of 60+.

Oh, and if by dire you mean boring, don't confuse entertainment with quality.

I'm not confused by anything. I watch each game with both eyes open, and see what is in front of me.

Try it, and we can talk again next week.

Warriors had no edge defence,especially there right side,misreads,falling off tackles.tomkins missed 1 bomb under pressure from 2 eels and slipped for there first try,but had 2 try assists,hardly a nightmare debut and a lot better than his replacement at Wigan,NRL legend Bowen had.

I remember Brett Hodgson making his debut for Huddersfield.  First touch of the ball was an absolute howler.   Well, I say touch.  I mean "comical knock on under a weak high ball with no chasers"

He did okay after that, as I recall.

I'm not confused by anything. I watch each game with both eyes open, and see what is in front of me.

Try it, and we can talk again next week.

So you think I am somewhat favouriting the NRL over the Super League?

So you think I am somewhat favouriting the NRL over the Super League?

Yes, I think you are. Do you not think that you are?

Yes, I think you are. Do you not think that you are?

Not at all. I'm a realist. I'd love it if the SL was anywhere near as good as the NRL but it's just not. English fans get too much of an inferiority complex when it comes to this sadly and it clouds their view on the matter. The drop to 12 teams will bridge the gap slightly though as there don't be as much dilution lower down.

Tomkins wasn't great but he wasn't poor either. He was playing in a pretty poor side, especially the pack who were pretty woeful to be honest. He made 2 errors but then again he set up 2 tries so not that bad a day at the office. He's obviously going to scrutinised much more than any player due to the hype about him in SL.

Tomkins will probably take 10ish games to adjust. He's played 2 games against NRL opposition one he was absolute quality the other he was average.

On other note Widdop was world class.

The Warriors are this type of team, they are either switched on or switched off. They seem to be switched off at the moment and Sam Tomkins will be eaten alive if he cant produce some sort of magic. 

Poor Sammy is going to have bigger units running at him for another 25 weeks. He will become the whipping boy if he is not careful, he might end up wishing he went to union come september. 

I'm sure Hayne is on a pretty decent contract but I also think half the reason he's still at the Eels is loyalty. It does still exist for some. I can't think of any team over there who wouldn't want him bearing in mind how many positions he can play in, so the fact he played for last years wooden spooners means nothing in relation to his ability versus Tomkins. You can't tell me Thurston couldn't go to another team than the Cowboys for more money or a better title chance if he wanted.

Hayne had the better game but Warriors were beaten across the park, their forwards couldn't hold onto the ball at all second half so Tomkins didn't have anywhere near the same chances to attack as Hayne did and he still set up two tries, give the lad more than one week before you write his whole NRL career off, many an Aussie has come over here and started poorly before doing well, so while you're at it give Bowen a chance too

I'm sure Hayne is on a pretty decent contract but I also think half the reason he's still at the Eels is loyalty. It does still exist for some. I can't think of any team over there who wouldn't want him bearing in mind how many positions he can play in, so the fact he played for last years wooden spooners means nothing in relation to his ability versus Tomkins. You can't tell me Thurston couldn't go to another team than the Cowboys for more money or a better title chance if he wanted.

Hayne had the better game but Warriors were beaten across the park, their forwards couldn't hold onto the ball at all second half so Tomkins didn't have anywhere near the same chances to attack as Hayne did and he still set up two tries, give the lad more than one week before you write his whole NRL career off, many an Aussie has come over here and started poorly before doing well, so while you're at it give Bowen a chance too

Oh yes, i tend to agree with what you have said, but the moot point is this,

1/ Sam Tomkins came to the NRL as the highest paid NZ player for the warriors, at 750 thousand. 

2/ He started talking about rugby union before even a high-ball was kicked in his direction. 

You want to get league fans in Australia off-side, mention union or moving to union.  

You can only kick sand in the face of fans for so long, and this has now got to the point where fans are voting with their feet, and eyeballs. 

And 3/ He is not that good, he has no weight on him, he will get monstered every week for the next 25 weeks, and until he gets a proper pre-season under his belt he will be a turnstile for the Papalii's, the Taomololo's and the Tamou's Kasiano's and Sims, Williams, Junkyard Dogs, T-rexes and Bulldozers and Freight-trains to come at him, even the Semi Trailer that scored 3 tries against him yesterday. (Randradrah)

4/ he has no kicking game.

That is only the start of his nitemare. 

The Warriors have a huge problem, Mannering is not captain material.

They reverted straight back to one-out footy because they lost their way again. 

Every year is the same. Why would this year be any different,. They will use Vatuavie as a battering ram, as they did yesterday, the smart teams will just kick behind them or run em ragged, as the Eels did yesterday with big powerful Fijian backs.

What is the worst thing that could come out of all this, the fact that Union wont touch him now with a ten-foot pole.

No, No, the Warriors have to turn this around and fast. They have to beat the Dragons or the season is gone again, because they have never beaten the Cowboys in Townsville ever, and probably never will. They cant take the heat of a tropical summer in Queensland.

So that will mean 3 losses on the trot, goodnite Irene, and Tomkins wont recover.  

That is the bare faced facts. 

1/ Sam Tomkins came to the NRL as the highest paid NZ player for the warriors, at 750 thousand. 

2/ He started talking about rugby union before even a high-ball was kicked in his direction. 

You want to get league fans in Australia off-side, mention union or moving to union.  

You can only kick sand in the face of fans for so long, and this has now got to the point where fans are voting with their feet, and eyeballs. 

And 3/ He is not that good, he has no weight on him, he will get monstered every week for the next 25 weeks, and until he gets a proper pre-season under his belt he will be a turnstile for the Papalii's, the Taomololo's and the Tamou's Kasiano's and Sims, Williams, Junkyard Dogs, T-rexes and Bulldozers and Freight-trains to come at him, even the Semi Trailer that scored 3 tries against him yesterday. (Randradrah)

Every year is the same. Why would this year be any different,. They will use Vatuavie as a battering ram, as they did yesterday, the smart teams will just kick behind them or run em ragged, as the Eels did yesterday with big powerful Fijian backs.

What is the worst thing that could come out of all this, the fact that Union wont touch him now with a ten-foot pole.

No, No, the Warriors have to turn this around and fast. They have to beat the Dragons or the season is gone again, because they have never beaten the Cowboys in Townsville ever, and probably never will. They cant take the heat of a tropical summer in Queensland.

So that will mean 3 losses on the trot, goodnite Irene, and Tomkins wont recover.  

Bare faced or not, there are not many facts in that diatribe.

I am convinced you have never seen Tomkins play before.

Not at all. I'm a realist. I'd love it if the SL was anywhere near as good as the NRL but it's just not. English fans get too much of an inferiority complex when it comes to this sadly and it clouds their view on the matter. The drop to 12 teams will bridge the gap slightly though as there don't be as much dilution lower down.

Looking at the scorelines from the NRL this weekend and I'd say there's hardly any difference really, except that we don't use golden point for league games.