Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSN

Barrow v Town

32 posts in this topic

0 - 6 to Town half time. Both sides evenly matched the difference being Tierney between the two.

Barrow can't complete a set without dropping the ball. Costing us dearly.

Best team won.

How dumb were we today ? A drop goal attempt and then when we had 6 to go another drop attempt.

I think Murray may be trouble the way he spoke to the ref in front of the match commissioner too.

6 - 8 FT Workington scored with a penalty with the last kick of the game.

Was a very good game to watch and thoroughly enjoyable. How we didn't win the game I really don't know. That was a much worse Workington side we have faced in previous seasons. Considering we made 10 - 15 unforced handling errors we did quite quite well to restrict them to 1 try. They had two standout players in 30 and 32 but apart from that they didn't have much about them.

Our lack of experience throughout the side shows up quite a lot. Towards the end of the game we just didn't have any composure. Why Speakman went for a crossfield kick rather than a drop goal with no pressure really does baffle me. We like Workington do not have much threat in attack. With most sides figuring out Harrison and no Haggerty on the right we lack players who can break a tackle and make a break.

Bullock was exceptional today. Our best forward by some distance IMO. Hope Briscoe is okay but by the looks of his injury he will be out for a while. Mort was very good also and his experience at this level shows compared to his team mates. He is much more calmer than other players.

Was a hard defeat to take but I think as the team gets more experience we will turn those sort of games into wins. Hopefully it doesn't comes to late towards the end of the season. Haven winning at Dewsbury was a nightmare result aswell.

Goes back to 0 on their 20 meter line with 2 minutes to go so Speakman attempts a rushed drop goal. What a ######.

Anyone know why the try near the end was disallowed?

Far too many knock ons and mistake, had nothing to offer going forward. Credit to our defence defending 4 straight sets on our line. Thought harrisons work rate was unreal today

6 - 8 FT Workington scored with a penalty with the last kick of the game.

Was a very good game to watch and thoroughly enjoyable. How we didn't win the game I really don't know. That was a much worse Workington side we have faced in previous seasons. Considering we made 10 - 15 unforced handling errors we did quite quite well to restrict them to 1 try. They had two standout players in 30 and 32 but apart from that they didn't have much about them.

Our lack of experience throughout the side shows up quite a lot. Towards the end of the game we just didn't have any composure. Why Speakman went for a crossfield kick rather than a drop goal with no pressure really does baffle me. We like Workington do not have much threat in attack. With most sides figuring out Harrison and no Haggerty on the right we lack players who can break a tackle and make a break.

Bullock was exceptional today. Our best forward by some distance IMO. Hope Briscoe is okay but by the looks of his injury he will be out for a while. Mort was very good also and his experience at this level shows compared to his team mates. He is much more calmer than other players.

Was a hard defeat to take but I think as the team gets more experience we will turn those sort of games into wins. Hopefully it doesn't comes to late towards the end of the season. Haven winning at Dewsbury was a nightmare result aswell.

"Haven winning at Dewsbury was a nightmare result aswell".

not for me it wasnt get in  ;)

Well we have a lot to learn don't we ! starting with a lesson in how too complete our sets which we failed to do on several occasions today just too many unforced errors , we also gave away stupid penalties ! I thought his game was there for the taking as town weren't anything special we just made it easier for them

Goes back to 0 on their 20 meter line with 2 minutes to go so Speakman attempts a rushed drop goal. What a ######.

Anyone know why the try near the end was disallowed?

Forward pass apparently.

Well played barrow. It was a good derby that could have gone either way. Great effort by both teams.

I heard both Murray and Vivers  interviews on RC and felt Murrays interview was far more gracious than Vivers. I wasn't impressed with Vivers comments at all.

As far as the last minute penalty goal is concerned I think that sometimes a referee should use a bit of common sense. I think the rip out was only marginal and if he hadn't given a penalty the result would have been a draw. I think both Raiders and Town fans would have been happy and it would have been a fair result.

On the question of the second drop kick attempt wasn't it Campbell rather than Speakman. If he hadn't attempted it the penalty would not have arise and it would have been a draw. That missed point could be crucial at the end of the season.

by the sounds of it on the radio jambos were very lucky to get any points let alone all 3 think they,ll be found out against stiffer opposition.

I heard both Murray and Vivers interviews on RC and felt Murrays interview was far more gracious than Vivers. I wasn't impressed with Vivers comments at all.

As far as the last minute penalty goal is concerned I think that sometimes a referee should use a bit of common sense. I think the rip out was only marginal and if he hadn't given a penalty the result would have been a draw. I think both Raiders and Town fans would have been happy and it would have been a fair result.

On the question of the second drop kick attempt wasn't it Campbell rather than Speakman. If he hadn't attempted it the penalty would not have arise and it would have been a draw. That missed point could be crucial at the end of the season.

I agree with you about vievers sounded very arrogant and like he didn't care about being interviewed.

The second dg attempt was Speakman,and I can only assume that he did hear back to six so rushed it.

Was it Joe bullock the big lad? He was class, best player on the pitch for me followed by harrison and dawson.

We seem to be a bit clueless in attack and we lack a bit of flair.

Thought our defence was fairly good all in all.

It was our attack that let us down today.

I heard both Murray and Vivers interviews on RC and felt Murrays interview was far more gracious than Vivers. I wasn't impressed with Vivers comments at all.

a rip out is a rip out I'm afraid. And it's not common sense it's the rules. And to not give it would have robbed town of a penalty that HAD to be given. Think there's a few sour grapes on here, saying town aren't any good it's just barrow were poor on the day. We get it against every team we beat. I'll be the 1st to admit we're not as good of a side as previous 2 seasons, but we've just got a new coach, new link up and from all reports new signings on the way. I know which side I would rather be at this moment in time.

a rip out is a rip out I'm afraid. And it's not common sense it's the rules. And to not give it would have robbed town of a penalty that HAD to be given. Think there's a few sour grapes on here, saying town aren't any good it's just barrow were poor on the day. We get it against every team we beat. I'll be the 1st to admit we're not as good of a side as previous 2 seasons, but we've just got a new coach, new link up and from all reports new signings on the way. I know which side I would rather be at this moment in time.

It wasn't the referee that gave it - it was the touch judge on the popular side, the referee appeared to be allowing play on!

It wasn't the referee that gave it - it was the touch judge on the popular side, the referee appeared to be allowing play on!

it was a still a penalty. The ref can't just ignore a call to make it a fair result

it was a still a penalty. The ref can't just ignore a call to make it a fair result

I know that, but he can overrule the touch judge if he believes he is making an incorrect call. He must have had some doubt in his mind don't you think? So if he wasn't going to give it what suddenly makes him wrong and the touch judge correct?

I know that, but he can overrule the touch judge if he believes he is making an incorrect call. He must have had some doubt in his mind don't you think? So if he wasn't going to give it what suddenly makes him wrong and the touch judge correct?

i would say the touch judge had a better view. It was very stupid of the barrow player to give him a decision to make.

i would say the touch judge had a better view. It was very stupid of the barrow player to give him a decision to make.

Were you there? 

Agree about the Barrow player giving him a decision to make (if he did rip it)

Haven and proud don't make my laugh

4 away there today, what an embarrassment

1500 true Cumbrian rugby fans at today's derby

quote name="havenandproud" post="2895921" timestamp="1394387418"]

by the sounds of it on the radio jambos were very lucky to get any points let alone all 3 think they,ll be found out against stiffer opposition.

Buzzing town got the win it really could have went either way, when town got a large number of repeat sets on your line I was ranting for town for not completing it but credit for you guys stopping us from scoring!

I've never seen Harrison be handled in any game I've seen him play like we did, but tierney was the best player on that field by a country mile, I just hope wigan don't recall him because he is class!!

2 good teams and 34 men who deserve to be I super league 2 with displays like that!!

And a special shout out to the barrow fans afterwards shaking hands and taking that killer of a defeat on the chins to wish the Town the best for the season!!

It was the same with batley for us at home last kick of the game they scored for the win!! Well try in there terms but does make ya feel sick!!

Sorry if it sounded like sour grapes Wonky. It wasn't intended to. I know that a penalty should be given for a rip out. It just seems such a pity that the result of a game like that should be decided by a last minute penalty. Anyway good luck to Town for the rest of the season except when we come to DP.

Over the 80 mins we didn't deserve to win this game, a draw would have been a fair result IMO, but we panicked too much in the last 5 mins when the game was locked at 6 all, and blew it with a silly penalty right at the death.We had plenty of chances to take a one pointer and the wrong option was taken. It hasn't been mentioned yet on here but from where I was sat there was a blatant forward pass which resulted in Shaw's try. It could of course have been the angle where I was at in the ground but it did look forward.

The positives I would take from this game were defensively we were brilliant keeping them out for 4 consecutive sets of 6 took some effort. As has been mentioned Bullock stood out for me along with Dawson again, but the whole pack worked tirelessly the whole game. This young side will get better as the season goes on, I just hope we can get it right before it's not too late.

Sorry if it sounded like sour grapes Wonky. It wasn't intended to. I know that a penalty should be given for a rip out. It just seems such a pity that the result of a game like that should be decided by a last minute penalty. Anyway good luck to Town for the rest of the season except when we come to DP.

its ok mate, I didn't mean you for the sour grapes, just the penalty quote.Other than raiders96 we usually all have good humoured banter. We're all in for a tough season and I think anyone being honest will agree there's probably only going to be 1 Cumbrian team survive if any at all. Who that will be only time will tell. Good luck and hope were both up in super league 2 next year.

its ok mate, I didn't mean you for the sour grapes, just the penalty quote.Other than raiders96 we usually all have good humoured banter. We're all in for a tough season and I think anyone being honest will agree there's probably only going to be 1 Cumbrian team survive if any at all. Who that will be only time will tell. Good luck and hope were both up in super league 2 next year.

Hahahaha think I touched a nerve oops! Did you even go to the game today?