Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

15/03/14 - London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats KO 3pm

Who will win?   17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Draw
    • Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 posts in this topic

22 - 50

Mathers gets his fourth of the game, kick to come

'sounds like there's a good 400 strong following from Wakefield yet the attendance is just 1,017'

I've always been for a London SL side but they are offering nothing at the moment and are lowering the overall standards both on and off the pitch.

I'm not anti expansion and I hope they can build the club back up from the bottom if/when they get relegated.

The only surprise is that they were able to post a crowd of over 1,000.

The only surprise is that they were able to post a crowd of over 1,000.

"they?"

don't you mean "we"

"they?"

don't you mean "we"

I fluctuate between supporting this ghost club and wanting it to just sod off.

'sounds like there's a good 400 strong following from Wakefield yet the attendance is just 1,017'

I've always been for a London SL side but they are offering nothing at the moment  I hope they can build the club back up from the bottom if/when they get relegated.

Well they offer an increase in crowds due to Jeopardy.

Current relegation battles so far = 10

This years average to date for the 10 = 4993

Last years equivalent crowds = 5771

Decrease, but early yet.....

I've always been for a London SL side but they are offering nothing at the moment and are lowering the overall standards both on and off the pitch.

I'm not anti expansion and I hope they can build the club back up from the bottom if/when they get relegated.

Well, they are further up the ladder than Bradford.  But no doubt you think Bradford, who bounce in and out of administration like it was a bunji jumping festival and whose last crowd was just over 5,000, are offering something?

I think London's solution requires a wholesale change in culture.  There are three people doing the club no good: the coach, the CEO and the owner. 

Well they offer an increase in crowds due to Jeopardy.

Current relegation battles so far = 10

This years average to date for the 10 = 4993

Last years equivalent crowds = 5771

Decrease, but early yet.....

What a silly comparison - Londons, Wakeys and Bradfords crowds this year would have been worse without relegation. Their decreases are already downward trends due to other factors

I'm not against London but this season may do more harm than good for the club as they may actually lose lots of potential spectators/sponsors/investors. I think the game would benefit greatly from a strong London club and hopefully this season may make the RFL realise much more needs to be done if we are going to 'crack' the capital.

As far as Bradford are concerned I don't favour them over London and think that measures need to be put in place to more cosely monitor and help teams to stop them getting into trouble financially

What a silly comparison - Londons, Wakeys and Bradfords crowds this year would have been worse without relegation. Their decreases are already downward trends due to other factors

Wakey's crowds are due to restrictions put upon them by health and safety but the other two clubs are in the same position: both have been enduring poor management and both have seen their crowds decrease.  London simply had a lower starting point than Bradford, but Bradford's last home game only attracted 5,000 fans.  For a club which could pull in 20,000 at one time (something London has not had the chance to do), that's very, very poor.

It was all so familiar, the Broncos defence non existent at times

Within minutes of the game starting it was blatantly obvious what the outcome would be . I wonder what the crowd will be for Cas? Thursday night on Sky....600 would be my guess.Grim times! If the club doesn't get wound up at the end of the season the Hive will be a tidy ground for a Championship club & how refreshing to see some wins.Such a shame, no point raking over everything again.It is what it is, let's hope their demise doesn't impact too much on the RL scene down here. I fear for the youth development. The kids wasted their Trinity counterparts today, all that is going to get trashed.

Wether the Broncos go down or not I think big investment should be made in London. Not the Broncos, but junior, youth and amateur teams. It seems like the last few years has seen quite a few players coming through and it would be a shame if all that went to waste. The RFL should try and increase the amount of schools and junior sides regularly playing as well as helping set up new community clubs and helping existing ones develop and grow. This would not only increase the amount of players across the capital it would also help create more of a RL culture in London. This may then make it easier to market professional teams as they would be preaching to the converted instead of just expecting people to just take an interest in RL because there is a professional team nearby

Reading the score from Sydney It's a depressing return ahead for me but well played Wakefield

Well, they are further up the ladder than Bradford.  But no doubt you think Bradford, who bounce in and out of administration like it was a bunji jumping festival and whose last crowd was just over 5,000, are offering something?

I think London's solution requires a wholesale change in culture.  There are three people doing the club no good: the coach, the CEO and the owner. 

Unfair on Tony Rea, but as a poster put it a couple of months back London and Superleague need a club in the Capital just not this club. David Hughes in the clubs undertaker in much the same way as John Wilkinson would have been Salford's had Marwan not come along.

I'm not against London but this season may do more harm than good for the club as they may actually lose lots of potential spectators/sponsors/investors. I think the game would benefit greatly from a strong London club and hopefully this season may make the RFL realise much more needs to be done if we are going to 'crack' the capital.

Your analysis is correct and the HIve deal, heralded by many on this forum, acts as a disincentive for Investors with the club's assets reduced to a CEO and the Coaching and Playing staff.

The RFL do not give the proverbial tinkers cuss about development outside the M62 as evidenced by Blake Solly's off hand comment made at the fans forum that "development officers would do what they could" in respect of the years of work done in SW London  destroyed by the move. Again something that certain posters on here thought "positive"

Development work has virtually ceased with the departure of Phil Jones who was the main driver and I see no way back through "organic growth" proponents of which live in cloud cookoo land which probably has more inhabitants than attend Bronco home games these days.

Once relegated the club should move in at New River with the Skolars and "the conversation" which I posted a few months ago which needs to take place between all of London RL about the future should start (i.e one club or two, do people see the game as progressive with a Super League club at the apex of clubs below or is everyone just happy about playing RL at an amateur level ?)

Will try to attend the Catalans game, paying as little as possible to Barnet FC, if only for the perverse honour of being at Super League's lowest ever attendance. On that cheery note, I do need to mention the Supporters Trust meeting at a pub in the Borough this coming Thursday which I am debating weather to attend. While I think this is a great initiative, it is IMO too late in the cycle of the club's decline and I do not think there are enough people who care left these days for this to be viable :(

It's going to be a very long flight back for me today....

Don't just think about it - do come to the meeting. Maybe it's too late, but we are the only chance to start to turn the Broncos back in to a club.

Don't just think about it - do come to the meeting. Maybe it's too late, but we are the only chance to start to turn the Broncos back in to a club.

The only chance is with a share in a stadium and a drop to the Championship.

Second lowest. An official attendance of 500 was recorded for Paris v Salford in 1997. Definitely the lowest on UK soil though.

Wakey's crowds are due to restrictions put upon them by health and safety

Only if the crowd hits the restriction limit. They aren't doing "all ticket" yet you may notice?

Anyway back to London and their declining crowds are typical of any club in big trouble whether Halifax or Paris. Fans don't rally round big time losers.

Only if the crowd hits the restriction limit. They aren't doing "all ticket" yet you may notice?

Anyway back to London and their declining crowds are typical of any club in big trouble whether Halifax or Paris. Fans don't rally round big time losers.

Our first 2 home matches were Bradford (Thursday night) and Catalans who both bring little away support + our pre season strife and form. I expect a bigger crowd against saints with our recent form and new signings

Probably one for another thread rather than commenting on this game but the same old argument keeps coming about needing Broncos to be supported when what it really needs is for a 2nd Greater London club. Local derbies bring out the fighting spirit and support. Would the Premier League be the same if there was just West Ham in the capital.

A Skolars vs Broncos match would crack the 1000 attendance 3 or 4 times over.

The club won't go anywhere with the people in charge. It needs a complete overhaul. When you've lost faith, you've lost the custom.

Drop to the Championship with an overhaul would be the best thing for London. Get out of the headlines for a bit. Give time for people to forget. Put together a decent plan and try to get back in with some momentum.

You can't keep chucking an injured player on the pitch and expect them to perform.

Personally I think Skolars need leaving out of anything to do with the Broncos as they've been ticking along nicely at the level they're at. Would be better off cutting our losses as Broncos are headed to 3 figure crowds and instead looking to bring in C1 clubs in West London and Medway giving us 5 South East based semi-pro clubs which would be a base to build up from at least to Championship level. If we are to have a Championship SL side next season would actually be preferable for the RFL to invest in Skolars and bump them up a division

You could always disband the club, set up numerous clubs around London and have the Broncos be a regional rep club, similar to Cumbria.

You could always disband the club, set up numerous clubs around London and have the Broncos be a regional rep club, similar to Cumbria.

You wouldn't want the regional rep side to be the Broncos

Probably one for another thread rather than commenting on this game but the same old argument keeps coming about needing Broncos to be supported when what it really needs is for a 2nd Greater London club. Local derbies bring out the fighting spirit and support. Would the Premier League be the same if there was just West Ham in the capital.

A Skolars vs Broncos match would crack the 1000 attendance 3 or 4 times over.

You miss the point that Skolars and Broncos share the same smattering of spectators already, along with Hemel and Oxford. Non of theses clubs are locked in to the civic rivalries that exist in the teams with a history dating back to the late 19th and early 20th century. 

The same faces appear at all 4, very few would fall into the target demographics of a sport looking to grow new support.