Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chairman LMAO

New signing announced

29 posts in this topic

The Bulldogs confirmed the capture of prop/second-rower Charlie Martin from Castleford Tigers on Friday.

The 22 year-old has been released by our Super League neighbours to link up with John Kear's squad ahead of Saturday's Challenge Cup tie with Kells at the LRL.com Stadium.

Martin made his Super League bow with Castleford on Easter Monday 2013 at St Helens and then joined up with both Featherstone Rovers and Keighley Cougars in order to get more game time, as well as racking up 6 appearances for the Tigers.

Possessing deceptive pace and power, Martin is expected to make a big impact at Batley.

we have a winger and centre suspended for the season,a fullback and centre potentially injured for tomorrow and we sign a prop or secondrower?

am i missing something?

I think this is a good signing, but we do need one or two more in areas where we are shall we say more exposed!

I think he is more of a second rower/centre than a prop. Calm down peeps... It seems like the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the moment.

For the record I agree that we could do with an out and out centre/winger.

I agree that Batley need backs urgently but the pack also needs better players if Batley are to finish in the top nine. Brennan's not fit/good enough, Leary is not big enough to play on a regular basis and Aspinwall is going to need time to adapt to Championship standard Rugby League. 

I would assume this signing will be the first of at least three new signings.

Good signing for the team but why oh why are we signing forwards when we have no threequarters. The teams in our division will soon learn that if they spin it wide we are in trouble as Doncaster did via Paul Cooke. Or is it all part of a master plan ? As they say trust in Kear but this one had me scratching my head.

I think he is more of a second rower/centre than a prop. Calm down peeps... It seems like the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the moment.

For the record I agree that we could do with an out and out centre/winger.

No one is having a go at the club for making signings. But if the plan is to play him in the centre then again it is putting a forward into a key position. We need a out and out centre and a winger to replace our absent freinds

Chandler to centre and martin on bench with scott and davies in second row kear aint daft there..

I agree about Chandler moving to centre.

I think he is more of a second rower/centre than a prop. Calm down peeps... It seems like the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the moment.For the record I agree that we could do with an out and out centre/winger.

he plays prop and 2nd row not centre

Chandler to centre and martin on bench with scott and davies in second row kear aint daft there..

The last time i looked Chandler was a forward i may be wrong. By all means try him there on Saturday we should be OK, no disrespect to Kells. But it does not solve our problem. If we are to challenge the best we need PACE.  

The last time i looked Chandler was a forward i may be wrong. By all means try him there on Saturday we should be OK, no disrespect to Kells. But it does not solve our problem. If we are to challenge the best we need PACE.

second row centre/wing

A very pacey young man with similar mental attributes to the half back who went to Featherstone. Played a couple or three games for Keighley on loan and their fans were mesmerised.

Good signing for you,he was one player that stood out for cas when we played them in pre season friendly!

Its backs we are despirate for, what the hells kear thinking

If there are no affordable backs of sufficient quality currently available, Kear can't sign them, can he?

Surely its not only kears responsibility to bring lads in. What if the funds arent being released. Nobody likes agents but money talks and more time on the motorway for a player will probably be compensated in the wallet

saw a lot of charlie at under 18s and he looked like he was gonna be something special, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. he's a good athlete and i hope does well at Batley.

If there are no affordable backs of sufficient quality currently available, Kear can't sign them, can he?

he's had since nov 2013 to find replacements for our two banned players, and there's been ample players out there & players that we could of kept so yes he could of

he's had since nov 2013 to find replacements for our two banned players, and there's been ample players out there & players that we could of kept so yes he could of

??? go on then,who could we a kept. i rather have players who WANT to play for us and fight for a shirt.

Yes we are all aware we need back replacements.

Have we got a large budget....no

Are there many free agents around with the season now a month underway....no

Can we afford to pay club's transfer fees as well as player wages....no

If a coach with JK's reputation can't find suitable players at this level, then I suspect it's because there's few out there within our budget.

Yes it's frustrating for fans, me included, as we are only a couple of players off a very decent side again IMO, but people constantly saying the same things every day and arguing with each other isn't going to change that.

Let's back the players we have and cross our fingers that we can find some three quarter cover in the next few weeks.