Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WearyRhino

Budget 2014 (Merged threads)

149 posts in this topic

A decade or more ago policy analysts were troubling themselves with all the future implications of an ageing population. To me, it was always a problem that electoral expediency would see solved, whatever party(ies) were in power. Not only are there lots of 'em but a higher percentage of them vote. Indeed, if a 'Grey Power' constituency could be harnessed they could extract a lot more from HMG.

I agree with the points but not the direction of travel.  Were I a young person I wouldn't be voting.  Not one policy to actually help 'me' and craven subsidy of old people cos they're are a lot of them.  Nothing will change that so why bother voting?

There are indeed a lot of 'old' people.  That's why it's helpful to give something of value to them a year before a general election.  And 'old' people tend to exercise their right to vote, unlike many 'young' people.

There are indeed a lot of 'old' people.  That's why it's helpful to give something of value to them a year before a general election.  And 'old' people tend to exercise their right to vote, unlike many 'young' people.

Can you trust them to deliver though/  Cameron promised to keep the OAP bus passes, and tbf he has. He's just removed the subsidy that kept many of the routes running. So we've got the passes, but no bus to use them on - simples!

Recent history suggests that budgets tend to collapse into shambles a few days later when everyone reads the small print so it might get more interesting then.

Ah've just got back from t'bingo and theers some kerfuffle on't twitter abaht t'budget.

Could it be unravelling already?

Soon enough no one will have a pension pot, all of their money will have been spent on mortgages and general living costs. My parents generation don't know how good they had it!

Genuine, not parody:

_73690936_bingoad.jpg

Just remember what Mr May said about the Tories laughing at the working class.

Soon enough no one will have a pension pot, all of their money will have been spent on mortgages and general living costs. My parents generation don't know how good they had it!

Anything you might have for a pension pot will have been spent on the pension pot for the current lot.

Remember that every time you hear any government saying they're capping the welfare budget.  The one bit they're not capping is anything which goes to pensioners.  They fought in the war y'know.  All of them.  Even the ones under 70.  And their bit of the budget is comfortably over half of the total spend.  And it's getting bigger.

Genuine, not parody:

_73690936_bingoad.jpg

And the RFL didn't even have the wherewithal to ask for a tax break for rugby league clubs. Shambles.

And the RFL didn't even have the wherewithal to ask for a tax break for rugby league clubs. Shambles.

*makes joke about jeopardy being a revenue free option to avoid tax*

*joke doesn't work*

*thinks*

Now a golden oldie, I remember crippling mortgage rates of 15.5% and a real struggle financially. It wasn't all hunky-dory in the 1980s.

As for the annuity change, I truly believe some people will go and blow their pension pot. That said, annuity rates are poor value at the moment and with little other choice for small funds.  

Anything you might have for a pension pot will have been spent on the pension pot for the current lot.

Remember that every time you hear any government saying they're capping the welfare budget.  The one bit they're not capping is anything which goes to pensioners.  They fought in the war y'know.  All of them.  Even the ones under 70.  And their bit of the budget is comfortably over half of the total spend.  And it's getting bigger.

Most of those who fought in the war are dead.  They suffered the disconnection of their pensions from the pay index introduced by Lawson..  Lawson, Brittan, Joseph, Young etc owed them better than that.

My generatioin didn't fight in the war, but we did have to put up with its consequences.  Rationing, poor housing, poor school facilities, life wasn't a picnic in the fifties for kids (or adults for that matter)

Genuine, not parody:

_73690936_bingoad.jpg

So only working class people play bingo and drink beer then?  Oh, ok. 

And who is it who is stereotyping exactly?

And who is it who is stereotyping exactly?

It's the Tories stereotyping 'them'.

HTH.

life wasn't a picnic in the fifties for kids (or adults for that matter)

Excellent.  Better make sure that none of your benefits, free bus passes or council services are allowed to be touched.

It's the Tories stereotyping 'them'.

HTH.

Aye, but it would seem that lots of people of a certain political hue are assuming 'them' refers to, well, them! 

Aye, but it would seem that lots of people of a certain political hue are assuming 'them' refers to, well, them! 

Well, for the Tories it's clearly not 'us'.

George Osborne doesn't think people will squander their retirement pots. From my dealings with former clients, it will happen. 

George Osborne doesn't think people will squander their retirement pots. From my dealings with former clients, it will happen. 

It doesn't matter if they squander them or not.  If they invest and the market tanks (or whatever variable) then they're screwed.

But it'll be their own fault because poverty is a punishment not a circumstance.

Some will, some won't, but at least now people have a choice.

Well, for the Tories it's clearly not 'us'.

Using 'us' would have been grammatically incorrect.

Says something really when the only response to the budget Balls and his followers can come up with is bluster over a daft PR gaff.

It seems that most commentators think this was a rather dull, steady as she goes budget so I can't be bothered looking into it much.

Recent history suggests that budgets tend to collapse into shambles a few days later when everyone reads the small print so it might get more interesting then.

Recent history suggests that budgets tend to collapse into shambles a few days later when everyone reads the small print 

Not just recent history, either, but yes, you are right.

Some will, some won't, but at least now people have a choice.

Yes, let's sacrifice the misguided, misinformed, vulnerable, disadvantaged & unintelligent at the altar of choice.

Using 'us' would have been grammatically incorrect.

Says something really when the only response to the budget Balls and his followers can come up with is bluster over a daft PR gaff.

They didn't use 'them' either.  But to keep with the grammar police, "we" (as opposed to 'they') would have been appropriate if the Tories really did share a love of bingo n beer, eh?  Or maybe Tories just aren't hard working.

Of course, it's not the only response.  It's one of many.  But it's a useful lightening rod as it focuses us on the sheer out-of-touch-ness of what passes for the government's brains trust and how they think the great unwashed can be appeased.

eh up, sithee, , I think you need to apply Healey's "First Rule of Holes"

Yes, let's sacrifice the misguided, misinformed, vulnerable, disadvantaged & unintelligent at the altar of choice.

It will also affect the well guided, well informed, protected, advantaged and smart - because if something goes wrong it'll likely be out of their control anyway.