Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Place your bets early for lowest ever SL crowd

56 posts in this topic

London v Cas on Thursday night in front of the Sky cameras will do well to break a thousand. 

###### planning, terrible for the away fans and a complete farce

London v Cas on Thursday night in front of the Sky cameras will do well to break a thousand. 

###### planning, terrible for the away fans and a complete farce

Sky sometimes seem to go out of their way to show the game in a bad light.

I presume you'll be in attendance KT?

The record low is 500 for Paris once. London Vs Castleford will just beat that but later in the season London Vs Catalans probably won't

The perfect time to push the match, tv, no other competitive fixtures. 

What about from a commercial sense? Hospitality?

Be positive, maybe this could be good for the club.

The perfect time to push the match, tv, no other competitive fixtures. 

What about from a commercial sense? Hospitality?

Be positive, maybe this could be good for the club.

You would think so, but the club won't do anything about it and then no doubt claim that there's no interest in RL down here after the game. If I was in charge, then I've give away free tickets to local primary schools and get new potential fans watching the sport. 

You would think so, but the club won't do anything about it and then no doubt claim that there's no interest in RL down here after the game. If I was in charge, then I've give away free tickets to local primary schools and get new potential fans watching the sport. 

Would be a starting point.

The RFL have a database of all the fans who attented a world cup match from London, this is the perfect opportunity. 

I want London to be successful, I really do. Good luck to you.

The RFL have a database of all the fans who attented a world cup match from London, this is the perfect opportunity. 

Thanks, but it's very frustrating supporting the club, knowing the same mistakes will be made over and over again. The Wembley database would be a start, but I think we missed out on the momentum of that, with all the hoohah over whether the club would be around or not. I guess it doesn't matter to the club, given all the money goes to Barnet FC anyway.

You cannot just give all the names in your database to someone else.

Unless people agree to their details being passed on then you are in breach of the data protection act.

I suspect the crowd will be terrifyingly low.

If London play for 80 minutes the way they did in stretches last night though it should at least be a competitive game.

Thanks, but it's very frustrating supporting the club, knowing the same mistakes will be made over and over again. The Wembley database would be a start, but I think we missed out on the momentum of that, with all the hoohah over whether the club would be around or not. I guess it doesn't matter to the club, given all the money goes to Barnet FC anyway.

It does matter to Barnet FC though - they make more money if the crowds are bigger

I suspect the crowd will be terrifyingly low.

If London play for 80 minutes the way they did in stretches last night though it should at least be a competitive game.

Also doesnt the camera point at the small "stand"? If Barnet close off both terraces it will look empty

Well the RFL haven't given the names on their World Cup database to Broncos, but as I have received an e mail directly from them promoting a two for one offer, then they are doing their best to get a crowd for the game.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking up the offer as I have to be up for work the following morning and wouldn't get in from the match until about 11.30.  What maybe people who don't live in London fail to understand is the sheer size of the place.  The Hive is easier for me to get to from home than the Stoop, but, and I've just checked on AA Route Finder and National Rail Enquiries for road and rail timings, I could get to the John Smith's Stadium from my mum's old house in Warrington in less time than it takes to get from Leyton to Edgware. 

Nope, I have to go to Vegas on Wednesday

Cas Vegas?  :huh:

Seeing as dwindling sport is de regueur in various parts, like Bradford. I predict a record dwindlers crowd of 301 v Catalans. One reason being the mega heatwave predicted two weeks earlier in the Express.

I got an email from Sky on Friday which offered, amongst other things, half price tickets for the Broncos v Cas game - £11.50 IIRC. 

There's two points about London Rugby League crowds that never feature in internet debate 

One - Since most Southern fans do not grow up with the sport, you will find people have a portfolio of sports they are interested in, for me it's Cricket, Rugby League, Rugby Union and American Football. What tends to happen is this,your pecking order of sports changes over time and according to how well the sport is going in the UK. For example, i was a London Monarchs Season Ticket Holder in WLAF days and am an International series ST holder. In recent years my level of interest in American Football has gone back to early 1990's levels. For other fans say a soccer - Rugby League fan who finds London doing badly and his / her soccer team doing well you will find that that fan has a greater interest in soccer than previously. It does not mean that people are giving up on the game of Rugby League and heading off to the Golf Course - that's a championship fan thing y'know -  it simply means that people develop a greater interest in those other sports they already follow,

Two - The decision by Barnet FC to have HIve Memberships as opposed to season tickets actually broke the link between fans and club, In the last few bleak seasons I suspect many of us went because of the social aspect or like me becuse they had already paid for their ticket and were going to get their money's worth . Taking this Castleford game as an example, Last season i wuld have gone. this season I will pick and choose when it suits me and given the choice of a past midnight return home and work the following morning or watching indoors on SKY. I think I will do the latter and I am sure I am not alone. Even if Barnet FC - whose money it is - relents and allows a half-season ticket I wuld not buy it now nor would too many others I suspect.. 

Although I have been to  the HAC trial game and have my (discounted) Challenge Cup and Grand Final Ticket's its probably the case that the 9 (WCC, Queensland Cup and NRL) League games I saw in Australia are going to be more "live" games than I see in the UK this season. Before anybody tries the "loyal suypporter" angle, I have always wanted to attend a TRL gathering pre-Grand final simply tro see which ones of you actually say "i have seen HIM before" at Internationals, Finals, representative matches and when Millenium Magic meant something.

With no credible international programme to 2016 and there being no Super League rugby south of Wakefield next year, although I am not giving the game up where RL will stand in my sporting pecking order come 2016 is a question I currently cannnot answer.

Governing bodies that were pro-active would identify games like these that are allocated to sky (on an awkward day/night) and work with London to target it. For example, a SL road show or a special package of entertainment. They could even target getting a couple of hundred more Cas fans to the game through incentives. They could even wine and dine a couple of hundred potential sponsors through a RL grant or offer schools £200 worth of sports equipment if they could get 50 people to the game.

I think it is called Public Relations (i.e. working hard to put a club and a sport in a decent light to potentially attract investment or sponsorship). We all know how the AFL (Australia) or NFL (USA) would handle a situation like this. This is the first televised fixture in London since the 2013 WC SF.

Our game just buries its head in the sand and people take great pleasure from freezing the tv pictures and counting the attendance. For me, seeing 750 souls there will be very sad sight.

This is a bad date. A friend of mine worked in sports marketing and always maintains that you can never make a bad date good but can make a good date better. Just have to swallow it. Kleanthous is out of his depth here.

This is a bad date. A friend of mine worked in sports marketing and always maintains that you can never make a bad date good but can make a good date better. Just have to swallow it. Kleanthous is out of his depth here.

Kleanthous may well be out of his depth, but he's quids in, regardless.

He's on a few grand in ticket sales, a few bob from the RFL for marketing (I'd call it what it is, as in a bribe but I suppose that might be seen as Libellous), a few bob in pie and ale sales and some pennies in the shop......it costs him little to open his facility, even less when he shuts the terraces.

It amazes me that 6 weeks on from the fans forum, which was "hailed" by some as proof that the club were contrite but now knew what needed doing, we are holding our collective breath in fear of either the Castleford game this week, of the Catalans one in April being the lowest attended SL game in 19 years.

I must admit, I'm not surprised.  However, I was told I was being too cynical.  I think we've agreed on this one before, this is essentially grave-robbing.

I must admit, I'm not surprised.  However, I was told I was being too cynical.  I think we've agreed on this one before, this is essentially grave-robbing.

Grave Robbers get paid for the corpse......this ones been rotting for too long to be worth anything.