Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Place your bets early for lowest ever SL crowd

56 posts in this topic

No reason to doubt the announced figure.....I'd hazard a guess that a few of them were there to celebrate the departure of the CEO.

Can I ask something stupid?

I listened to the latest RL down south and heard of the growth going where no teams were playing 3 seasons ago and now they have all age groups covered some with 2 teams in the same age group and so on ..

My question, what are the London Broncos doing to get these and other children (mostly) and there parents along to the Home games?

My question, what are the London Broncos doing to get these and other children (mostly) and there parents along to the Home games?

Persuading people to spend hard earned money to take themselves or their families to see a team that is arguably one of the worst in the SL era is a tough ask, if not impossible. On Sky the other night, Phil Clarke was confidently predicting that they would win at least one game this year. One game. How the hell can you sell that to the people of London?

You wouldn't want to use what's on offer at the moment at the Hive to promote anything - would do more harm than good.

In fact, a bold administrator might ditch the Broncos at this point and bring the other teams down to the Hive to fill out their fixtures - but by playing each other. Better matchups to promote TGG in the south, and probably would attract better crowds too.

Would be a shame for the local lads who are in the London squad - but to be honest, what's a season of batterings going to do for them, development-wise?

Persuading people to spend hard earned money to take themselves or their families to see a team that is arguably one of the worst in the SL era is a tough ask, if not impossible. On Sky the other night, Phil Clarke was confidently predicting that they would win at least one game this year. One game. How the hell can you sell that to the people of London?

That's true no one wants to watch rubbish, but they haven't always been so rubbish.

I listened to the latest RL down south and heard of the growth going where no teams were playing 3 seasons ago and now they have all age groups covered some with 2 teams in the same age group and so on ..

Even if there was a decent team at the Broncos it would still be a difficult sell given the distances involved. It's one thing to get kids playing the game, and their parents to help out, but to expect them to travel to The Hive from Medway or Brentwood or Elmbridge on a regular basis is just not practical.

Also, there is very rarely much of a cross-over between people playing a game and going to watch it. It's usually two different sets of people, and that applies to most sports.

Further to previous replies, I understand a lot of these junior teams play on Saturdays, making it even more tricky for the youngsters and their families to subsequently get to a Broncos game.

1036 according to the bbc website

15 home games now for clubs in danger (jeopardy) of going down.

Average crowds this year under relegation 5092, same games last year under licensing 6111.

Average crowds this year under relegation 5092, same games last year under licensing 6111.

Which clubs are you calculating that with? What would be the figure taking out the Broncos, who would have collapsed whatever the scenario?

Even if there was a decent team at the Broncos it would still be a difficult sell given the distances involved. It's one thing to get kids playing the game, and their parents to help out, but to expect them to travel to The Hive from Medway or Brentwood or Elmbridge on a regular basis is just not practical.

Also, there is very rarely much of a cross-over between people playing a game and going to watch it. It's usually two different sets of people, and that applies to most sports.

Indeed. In terms of travel times, it's like calling into question the crowds at Widnes because there's juniors playing the game in Fev.

Previously they have given free tickets to Greater London juniors including schools they had links with. The practice was stopped due to the lack of response. Through one of the most widely read newspapers in Greater London they were giving away thousands of free tickets, that had little impact on the attendances. The problem is getting the parents/guardians to come along.

Because most of the development work isn't really happening in London, it's mostly Medway, Hemel, Elmbridge and Staines. There's only really Feltham in London, but that's on the outskirts. In terms of inner London, there is very little RL. In fact, I would say not many of the fans travel from London, but from outside of London and it's a big ask to get them to travel to every game. Also the constant moving is having an effect, especially as the club have never tried to put roots in the local community and just tried to target Aussies constantly. I said we should look at giving free tickets to local primary schools, young children aren't as attached to winning at that age as older fans would. I used to see loads of school kids when we first became Quins, but in the last few years there's been very little. 

Which clubs are you calculating that with? What would be the figure taking out the Broncos, who would have collapsed whatever the scenario?

Wakey, HKR, London, Bradford and Catalans.

No I'm not taking anything out like the Broncos collapse, or the 4,000 extra fans that turned up for the opening of the revamped HKR ground.

The figures are the figures and the five strugglers have not attracted more fans because of the "excitement" of relegation four pointers and the scrap for every point.

No I'm not taking anything out like the Broncos collapse, or the 4,000 extra fans that turned up for the opening of the revamped HKR ground.

The figures are the figures and the five strugglers have not attracted more fans because of the "excitement" of relegation four pointers and the scrap for every point.

Some of those clubs were doing very well last year. Why didnt you use the worst 5 teams from last year for the same part if the season?

With regards to using stats, why are we not using the top teams as a benchmark - ie. Warrington's crowds are way down this year based on the games we have had - they were also down last year - as a team expected to avoid any thoughts of relegation, surely the safety net they have will allow them to continue to build their club and grow their crowds?

Or maybe we should stop trying to use crowds stats to prove a structure doesn't work when that structure isn't even in place yet - one of the strangest bits of logic I have ever seen on here.

Because most of the development work isn't really happening in London, it's mostly Medway, Hemel, Elmbridge and Staines. There's only really Feltham in London, but that's on the outskirts. In terms of inner London, there is very little RL. In fact, I would say not many of the fans travel from London, but from outside of London and it's a big ask to get them to travel to every game. Also the constant moving is having an effect, especially as the club have never tried to put roots in the local community and just tried to target Aussies constantly. I said we should look at giving free tickets to local primary schools, young children aren't as attached to winning at that age as older fans would. I used to see loads of school kids when we first became Quins, but in the last few years there's been very little. 

Aren't the Skolars in London?

Some of those clubs were doing very well last year. Why didnt you use the worst 5 teams from last year for the same part if the season?

If the straight stats don't suit you, then why don't you fiddle about with them until you get the answer you want?

Yeah, there's some development in outer London

They are, I did forget them. However, they have their own fan base and so do we. 

You are Eric Olthwaite.

Can anyone here speak French?

Previously they have given free tickets to Greater London juniors including schools they had links with. The practice was stopped due to the lack of response. Through one of the most widely read newspapers in Greater London they were giving away thousands of free tickets, that had little impact on the attendances. The problem is getting the parents/guardians to come along.

This was during the short-lived Paul Brown era when 1,000 season Tickets were given to local clubs, the take up rate in terms of attendance was 1 in 10. PB even allowed some of them to play a match at the Stoop prior to the main game and I remember the players stroling out of The Stoop kit slung over shoulder not to return for the main event.

Because most of the development work isn't really happening in London, it's mostly Medway, Hemel, Elmbridge and Staines. There's only really Feltham in London, but that's on the outskirts. In terms of inner London, there is very little RL. In fact, I would say not many of the fans travel from London, but from outside of London and it's a big ask to get them to travel to every game. Also the constant moving is having an effect,

For those not familiar with London geography, this rather compounds the stupidity of going to a Non-RL area of London in Canons Park near Edgware as Elmbridge (Surrey), Staines and Feltham are close to the Stoop in West London. All the development work down there will now go to the wall with Blake Solly's offhand "development officers will do what they can" at the recent fans forum.

Canons Park is a longer and more inconvenient journey for many like myself than The Stoop or other options would have been.

They are, I did forget them. However, they have their own fan base and so do we. 

And that is another thing forgotten about on RL Messageboards, there is liittle or no crossover between the two fan bases. The idea when Broncos fold at the end of the season that the fanbase will simply add to that of the Skolars is no more credible than making the assumption that if Bradford folded all their fans would go to Huddersfield or Halifax.

There may be merging of assets and a sharing of the ground at New River in the championship, which I have advocated, but unless the club became a joint venture like St George - Illawarra. I would not be watching the Skolars, It would be like going out with the wrong girl on the rebound so to speak.

The lowesat ever super league crowd will be on Thursday 17th April for the Catalans match when three figures is nailed on. It will also give you an indication of how many Bronco fans are left. The lowest announced "crowd" in recent years was the 652 that watched London v Dewsbury in the Challenge Cup in 2012. Fewer than had watched a pre-season friendly v Halifax a couple of years earlier.

Whether this will beat the suspiciously round total of 500 for Paris St Germain v Salford in 1997 remains to be seen

The record low is 500 for Paris once. London Vs Castleford will just beat that but later in the season London Vs Catalans probably won't

PSG v Salford on a Wednesday night

London v Cas 1036, 19 more than Wakefield could take on a Saturday

If the straight stats don't suit you, then why don't you fiddle about with them until you get the answer you want?

Worked for me when I was a statistician with the Royal Mail :D

YET...........Wait until nearer the crunch time then id guess the figures may rise some.