Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JM2010

new structure idea

57 posts in this topic

Where from? The gates are a thousand or so down on average across all the bottom clubs.

Now the "clear blue water" is starting to form between London, Bradford, Wakey and the rest do you think any of their crowds are going to go up Griff??

Posters have already pointed to Bradford.v.Wakefield being the likely crunch game which if it happens will be in line with previous P & R seasons when we had the odd game with a bigger crowd.

But it won't be bigger unless Bulls have pulled back some points and to be bigger it would have to beat last years 10,400. Griff you've gone all optomistic on me!

Somebody needs to counter your views. You are PESSIMISM personified.

1. I don't think they'd do any worse than the shambles the bottom 3 SL clubs are in Steve, no. So maybe that's why P & R is back (it's certainly not for bigger crowds as per the totally unfounded KPMG claim already discredited by the facts) because protecting clubs from relegation to enable them to "grow" actually did not work. It's fair enough we have P & R back.

2. From my research not that many kids play the game in Championship areas anyway. Sure if Featherstone Rovers or Leigh got a sustained run in Superleague more kids could be interested in playing but bear the following in mind:-

a. Steve Gill's Castleford have been a superleague side for what? 16 out of 18 seasons now? Steve says less kids are playing RL in Castleford so you have no guarantee a struggling SL club will stimulate fan and player growth.

And that runs full circle back to Ralph Rimmer assertion in 2006 that having a decent run of seasons in Superleague would allow a club to develop the player and fan base. It did not happen for the bottom clubs so we cannot have it both ways. We cannot deride the failure of SL clubs who did not grow fans and players then predict championship clubs taking their place will buck the trend and..........

b. If being in the championship loses fans and players just how many fans and how many kids does the game stand to lose in Bradford if they don't come back after a relegation??  

3. With respoect your perpetuating the myth that getting relegated allows a club to "come back stronger". there is no evidence at all for this and again you are saying that going down means a clubs gets less interest from fans watching and kids playing, yet you tell me that is a springboard to coming back stronger.

I've heard it 1,000 times Steve and posted 1,000 times asking people to give me good reason why this should be so?

All I then get is derision for another 1,000 posts saying the same thing because I never get an answer. Oddly it comes from championship fans who want to argue SL clubs down. "Relegation will be good for them".  Why????

With regards to pint 3. Both Castleford and Huddersfield came back stronger after relegation. Past performance is no predictor of future results either way.

The distribution of new SKY money has also preserved the past. At the risk of saying the same thing again (which we all do really) the success we do have in fan and player growth comes from the Elite (not SL) clubs and there aren't enough of them.

Bigger clubs based on wider populations may not be the answer, but it's the only logical radical plan I can see to remove the current malaise, and if big clubs preserve the TV contracts which in turn preserve the game it's less of a risk than people think.

A number of the big games in SL this year are 1,000 down on last years crowds as well as all the bottom of the table relegation zone crowds. The SKY money papers those cracks, and for the lack of player development I note Koukash has nobody left to buy, until he gets the chance to offer other clubs players more money, so he now wants to employ an Aussie guru to "unearth" missed antipodean talent.

On the other hand crowds at potential promotion contenders like Leigh and Fev and some other Championship clubs are up so swings and roundabouts.

With regards to point 3. Both Castleford and Huddersfield came back stronger after relegation. Past performance is no predictor of future results either way.

Castleford got relegated a second time and did not come back stronger. They relied heavily on Mr. Fulton's monetary input. they are not in any way an example of a club benefitting from relegation.

Huddersfield came back stronger after relegation.

Huddersfield were not strengthened by relegation they were strengthened by Davey's money.

On the other hand crowds at potential promotion contenders like Leigh and Fev and some other Championship clubs are up so swings and roundabouts.

The SL crowd drops are extensive and run into four figures. The CC crowds that are up are only a few and are up only in the hundreds so that is not swings and roundabouts in any way.

No need to reply thank you.

Somebody needs to counter your views. You are PESSIMISM personified.

Will that somebody be you, keighley ?