Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vikingstorm

Robbie Savage- Football and Rugby

39 posts in this topic

I do enjoy Five live .

Robbie was today describing the difference between Rugby and Football saying that Football was almost tribal in its rivalry and in comparison Rugby was Boring with everyone shaking hands and taking photographs

He could not possibly have been talking about Rugby League which has more passion and rivalry than any sport I know

this is the same football where every game in the top flight you see tourists taking photo's of opposition players taking throw ins?

He was describing his experience at England Vs. Wales in the Six Nations, and then using that to pronounce on all Rugby.

I do enjoy Five live .

Robbie was today describing the difference between Rugby and Football saying that Football was almost tribal in its rivalry and in comparison Rugby was Boring with everyone shaking hands and taking photographs

He could not possibly have been talking about Rugby League which has more passion and rivalry than any sport I know

I'd say there's a lot more 'rivalry' across soccer than across rugby in terms of what Savage is no doubt thinking of.

And they're welcome to it.

Sorry but soccer beats rugby league in every aspect of that statement.

I do enjoy Five live .

He can never have been to a Fev - Cas game is all I can say

I wish we had a Savage equivalent in our game. On the 606 phone-in, he takes on all-comers and challenges even  the most one-eyed chippie downtrodden  ref-hating soccer fans. Imagine the fun he'd have with Leigh and  Fev fans!!

I am like a lot of people on here I take an interest in association football through the media Last live game I saw was boxing day 1978 at ER.However I have mates who are passionate football fans and they tell me since the start of the FA prem it has evolved into a pale imitation of what it used to be 30 -40 years ago.They tell me the tv people are trying to manufacture somekind of atmosphere.At O T its all Japanese tourists asking to have their pics taken under one of the Munich clocks.Has any of the soccer watchers on here noticed this?

He can never have been to a Fev - Cas game is all I can say

Do the fans have to be segregated and is there fighting before, during and after the game - along with an alcohol ban, major police presence, road closures etc?

If someone walked down the street in a Fev area wearing a Cas shirt how likely would they be to be stabbed?

Do the fans have to be segregated and is there fighting before, during and after the game - along with an alcohol ban, major police presence, road closures etc?

If someone walked down the street in a Fev area wearing a Cas shirt how likely would they be to be stabbed?

And there we have the differnce.

RL has passion verging on hatred. But realising that sport is a glorious insignificance.

Thats not passion and rivalry though, it's any excuse for violence wrapped up in a football scarf!

RL has passion verging on hatred. But realising that sport is a glorious insignificance.

That's my point.  When someone like Savage is praising rivalry he's praising a culture in which, at professional level, can be much, much darker than anything we have in league.

Thats not passion and rivalry though, it's any excuse for violence wrapped up in a football scarf!

Indeed.  But it's a part of the world that Savage is praising.

(And I'm not tarring all soccerball fans, incidentally, before anyone suggests I am).

I am like a lot of people on here I take an interest in association football through the media Last live game I saw was boxing day 1978 at ER.However I have mates who are passionate football fans and they tell me since the start of the FA prem it has evolved into a pale imitation of what it used to be 30 -40 years ago.They tell me the tv people are trying to manufacture somekind of atmosphere.At O T its all Japanese tourists asking to have their pics taken under one of the Munich clocks.Has any of the soccer watchers on here noticed this?

I was a keen follower of MUFC as a yoof (when it cost 10 bob to get in!). The atmosphere at the games was electric and there were plenty of occasions when the noise in the ground was akin to standing next to a Harrier on a full power ground run - your whole body resonated. They were good days.

I last went to watch them play Chelski a couple of years back, with my son, whom I had regailed of the great days when United were sh1t3 but the crowd and atmosphere was a pure adrenalin rush and told him this day would be something to remember all his life. Anyhoo, to say we left that game slightly disappointed with the decibel levels is an understatement! 74,000 people watching a match through the lens of an I-phone!   These are bad days.

A better atmosphere is to be had at an RL ground with 10,000 trully passionate fans any day of the week. Fans who appreciate the efforts of both sets of players!

How the hell has savage got a job on the radio.

How the hell did he play top level football for so long,average at best same as Steve Claridge.

And now according to the BBC they are experts

Is this robbie savage the elite athlete that couldn't make it up that mountain chris moyles and cheryl cole climbed? I think abramovich made it further than him!

I would like to see him actually attend a derby match before making damaging off the cuff statements!

Here is the Difference....I hate Warrington Fans, but I would die next to them

In his defence Robbie is a league fan.

He's been to a 6 nations game and compared it to soccer.

His mistake is he called it rugby, no need to slate him for that.

Not sure how you measure passion, true football has an ugly side, but in my experiences thats very much contained to a minority. 

One noticable difference for me is football fans willingness to put in the leg work to follow there club, played alot of midweek fixtures at the DW this season and its noticeable how many fans make the trip when we'd be finding excuses not to because the M62 is a bit of a bind of similar.

What the hell does Robbie Savage know about Rugby League or Union, the blokes an over privileged buffoon who stole a career as a footballer and is doing the same as a pundit.

He was describing his experience at England Vs. Wales in the Six Nations, and then using that to pronounce on all Rugby.

Correct, he and Joey Barton were interviewed at half time at Twickers during the England v  Wales game. He has been on Five Live for many years now as a pundit and is obviously basing his views on his his experiences on RU rather than 'proper' rugby !