Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarefrith

John Bastian

129 posts in this topic

Don't no old rover prob someone with a bit more experience any ideas

no mate. i'll leave it to those that pay the wages. if those people think Bastian needs to go, then he'll go. until then he's our coach.

Have to say that was appalling today, even worse than the Dewsbury game

We had no backup plan when Donny had us worked us early doors - We look and play like a poor Warrington side at the minute - I fear thats who we have been moulded on when we should be moulded as Featherstone Rovers

All this talk of 'looking forward to playing on Donnys wide pitch so we can play expansive rugby' yet we trundle it down the middle for 75/80 minutes! The wingers didnt even feed on scraps today, abysmal

I do fear for us if there isnt some drastic changes, be it with the coaching or playing staff - the stats man and basing teams selection on things like that is not working in my eyes and doing more harm than good

I look forward to JB's comments at the forum on wednesday, cant wait to hear some of the Keyboard waarriors comments as well when they attend

Something's not right it's a shame p r wasn't 3 year a go now we have buggered it but that's only my opinion

Could say the same when Powell left, OR.

Everyone new who was replacing Powell weeks before he left......

I'm no coach and nor do I profess to be so will leave that bit to those who are no doubt handsomely paid to do their Job.... As a supporter and volunteer what I do feel is that as a club we seem to have lost our warm family feel...the smiles have gone....the regime has changed and for whatever reason our on the field performances seem to be slipping...yes we can say when other teams play us it may well be their cup final...yes we can say other teams are improving....but realistically Leigh apart no other club has changed personnel or signed the number of players we have.

Good luck and all the best to John and his coaching team....there will no doubt be twists and turns along the way but from where I see it we have just lost the last game we can afford to lose if we realistically want to finish in the top 2 and compete next year at the top level....hang on folks the ride is gonna be bumpy but should we really be shouting about any other team being favourites  ??? maybe John can say I told you so looking at the result but if we go into games thinking we are second best then I fear for our S.L ambitions......Destination.....unknown at the moment for me.

The players don't wanna play for him everybody noes that are people so blind unbelieveble get a grip . He couldn't train my 13 year old rubbish

Whatever happens going forwards JB needs to deliver the goods with these players he has brought them in and let players go that he didn't want and loaned one out I believe the pressure is on now more that ever as if we are to get the big prize at the end of this season we cannot lose another game

The players don't wanna play for him everybody noes that are people so blind unbelieveble get a grip . He couldn't train my 13 year old rubbish

Please expand on your " the players don't want to play for him, everybody knows that" because I for one haven't heard that. You appear to know some things that others on here don't!!!!

He appears to know it all

To be fair we are under achieving at the moment and for whatever reasons it takes time for a new coach to address and solve any problem areas , JB has also had to do it from the start under a certain amount of pressure from the daryl powell can never be replaced supporters club ,

The thing is no coach player is bigger than any club but when you replace an coach because one has left he will be judged against that one especially when he did so well I hope JB sorts it out quick and we achieve our goals because I like to go to a match thinking this will be close or we will be ok today and watch our team perform well but I cannot do that at the moment because something is just not right

Like all sports,it's a results based industry,jb has brought many players in and he must live by his decisions,team selections and the results these bring.Then it is up to the BOD as to what happens if those results are not right but remember these are the same people responsible for the departure of Daryl Powell and although that water has passed under the bridge,I think IMO ultimately it was a move that will come and bite us hard on the backside with our SL ambitions.

Forza Fev

It was disappointing today, but nowhere as disappointing as the number of major finals, play-off matches, and NR cup games that we have gone into as red hot favourites but come out second best. You can hardly blame the BOD, they have done everything possible to ensure they had the best, most expensive, squad available. I can see why they wanted a change from Daryl, who is an outstanding coach who just couldn't raise the players' game that extra percent when it really mattered, although bad luck had a lot to do with it.

JB will be given time, its early days yet, but if he doesn't succeed his successor will still have the resources to turn things around, as long as we all stand by the club and don't drift away.

blame it on me lads, I backed you at 1/5 to win the game, you had one man to stop, Paul Cooke any fool can see that and yet it seems from reports you let him play in a dinner jacket - incredible! Your missing Finn though big time.

true  why  someone  didnt  man  mark  cooky  and  make him  have  to  make  plays  under  pressure is  bad  coaching. he  murdered us at  fev  last season .legs  may  have  gone  but  he is  aproper  rugby  player  who  plays  more  as  it  happens  on  instinct.at  the  moment  we  always  seem  to  be  playing  for  three  tackles in  advance  rather  than       straight running backing  up  the ball carrier and playing  what  one  sees  in front  of you i  honestley  think  most  rugby  players  dont really  understand  the  game  they just  performe  likke  animals  in  a  circus probably  why  we  can't  produce  good  half  backs  any  flair  is  coached  out  of  them  at  an early  age  .rant  over .

You're right it is early days and I agree that JB should be given time,as said previously,winning is not a devine right you have to earn it.The last thing I want to see at Featherstone and RL in general is the fickle nature of the BOD we see in football,as stability is the key at any club,as long as there is an upward trend of improvement with it.

The problem is,not just at Featherstone,will the big money men coming into the game see it that way or will they want instant success for their investment,I suppose only time will tell on that one,lets hope they have the vision to play the long game,but now these people are being attracted to our sport lets embrace them as they are the people we don't want to see drift away.

As for Featherstone,you only have to look at the total number of replies on this forum to see how much Fev fans have to say for themselves.I think we outnumber other clubs by 4/1 on this fantastic platform for debate and I'm sure disappointment is what sparks us up but I'm also sure we will all stand by the club.

Forza Fev

Well said ,agree with Steve Slaters post 100 %

calling for the coaches head after two narrow defeats ?....whilst I am disappointed like everyone else I am realistic enough to realise that this is a much stronger competition than last season, there are bigger rewards for all teams to aim for as well as the so called lesser clubs fight for survival. Every game has real meaning to each and every team. look at keighley who you would usually class as whipping boys, they were 3 seconds away from beating leigh...... batley beat halifax and then lose to rochdale.....barrow going to sheffield and winning......last year would anyone have expected some of these scores ??

dewsbury last year we sneaked it at the death, doncaster beat us at PO road......its not as if its no feasible that these results happen.

I think the fantastic pre-season that we had raised expectations as it did with me, but reality is that every team we play want to have the scalp of rovers and raise their game accordingly. You could see by the reaction of the doncaster players at the final hooter what that win meant to them.

Don't forget we have lost to Dewsbury (who got thrashed today) and Donny. On this form how the heck can we compete away at Halifax, Sheffield and Leigh? A quick turn around of form ot we are up for a hard time.

Hi James.

Initially, that might have seemed a shock defeat, but Donny seem to be going well this season.

As for worrying how you will compete at Leigh, amongst other places, I wouldn't worry too much! In our last two league games, we have been lucky to win at Keighley, and were highly flattered by the 13 point margin against Crusaders yesterday. (they were in with an excellent chance of a draw until the last two minutes) Maybe your coach should study the video of those two games? What he will see, is a team that is giving away far too much possession, and that has gone back to largely one man rugby, after a very free-flowing start to the season.

I guess the crux of it all, is that standards have improved again, and some of the 'less fancied' teams are going to get amongst the so-called 'favourites.' Looking forward to (hopefully) two more evenly matched games, against you guys!

blame it on me lads, I backed you at 1/5 to win the game, you had one man to stop, Paul Cooke any fool can see that and yet it seems from reports you let him play in a dinner jacket - incredible! Your missing Finn though big time

any  fool can see that, you're right. but stopping him is something else. he's spent his whole career being the man to stop. he's had his problems and he doesn't even look like a rugby player, but what he's got between his ears, most players will never have.

Hi James.

Initially, that might have seemed a shock defeat, but Donny seem to be going well this season.

As for worrying how you will compete at Leigh, amongst other places, I wouldn't worry too much! In our last two league games, we have been lucky to win at Keighley, and were highly flattered by the 13 point margin against Crusaders yesterday. (they were in with an excellent chance of a draw until the last two minutes) Maybe your coach should study the video of those two games? What he will see, is a team that is giving away far too much possession, and that has gone back to largely one man rugby, after a very free-flowing start to the season.

I guess the crux of it all, is that standards have improved again, and some of the 'less fancied' teams are going to get amongst the so-called 'favourites.' Looking forward to (hopefully) two more evenly matched games, against you guys!

Exactly, this competition get stronger and more evenly matched every year.  We have no divine right to win every game and it shows a massive streak of arrogance to think that we do.

We're 5 games in to a long season and we've lost narrowly to two decent teams, we need to chill out a bit. 

Look at 'fax and Sheffield, not looking too rosy there either.  Leigh have been quite lucky to scrape a win in the last two games too.

any  fool can see that, you're right. but stopping him is something else. he's spent his whole career being the man to stop. he's had his problems and he doesn't even look like a rugby player, but what he's got between his ears, most players will never have.

that's correct old rover, but surely your coach should have devised a game plan to counteract Cooke, that's what he gets paid for.Its not rocket science to put a man on him and close him down and give him less room to work on.I  actually believe hes still good enough to play SL and looking at Hull,s result y,day I bet they rue the day he left them.

Jesus christ! We lost 2 games last year playing poor and look what happened! We won the league. It is far too early to be pointing fingers yet. We have to give him this year at least to show us what he is made of. Ok if we arent in top 4 i can understand us been angry. Doncaster played well and baring in mind they are a team who have been together for a while now so the chemistry is going to be better than ours. Need time to gel it doesnt happen over night. Get your Glory supporter heads out of your a**** and support your team through thick and thin.