Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graham

Storm v Newcastle - R3 Game - Alex McKinnon Injury News & Discussion ... follow link

54 posts in this topic

Steve Mortimer reckons  terrible accidents such as Alex's could be avoided by a rule change.

What he has suggested is pretty dramatic:

Scrap the 10 metre rule - Click Here

Such a tragic accident has shocked the RL community to the core.

Thankfully such serious accidents are relatively rare.

Is this proposal over reaction?

The more news of Alex that comes out, the more upsetting it gets - he's in intensive care in an induced coma following his operation.

Steve Mortimer reckons  terrible accidents such as Alex's could be avoided by a rule change.

What he has suggested is pretty dramatic:

Scrap the 10 metre rule - Click Here

Such a tragic accident has shocked the RL community to the core.

Thankfully such serious accidents are relatively rare.

Is this proposal over reaction?

The more news of Alex that comes out, the more upsetting it gets - he's in intensive care in an induced coma following his operation.

There's a thread on the main forum about the call for a change to the 10 metre rule.

Roy Masters seems to think the rule against the cannonball tackle led to the injury.......................

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/alex-mckinnon-incident-unfortunate-consequence-of-cannonball-tackle-rule-20140325-hvmkn.html

Nobody can accuse the NRL of being complacent. If anything some complain that they change the rules too often.

Two good reasons to change rules:

- to help prevent injury any more than is possible in a full body contact sport

- to try to improve the game for either players or the viewing public.

I've looked at what Ray Masters has said.

I can follow his line of thought but am not fully convinced by his argument

It's a tough, risky sport, nobody denies that.

What happened to Alex was a tragic accident which does make me reflect our game, its methods and objectives in today's highly competitive and pressured set up..

Roy Masters, as I understand it, is steeped in our game having himself been in coaching.

When the dust has settled and hopefully we have some kind of positive news of Alex there should always be room to listen to the voices of reason when trying to make RL as safe as is possible, certainly taking on board analysis of injuries and the effects of rules, especially new rules, when it is clear what their effect has been.

Yes, taking one course can have unexpected consequences.

IMO the cannonball rule Masters refers to is one that was right to be brought in.

There are other rules that try to protect players from landing on their head/neck.

Whatever rules there are can't completely rule out serious injury due to accident when there's a field full of powerfully strong blokes playing head to head.

To somehow condone the cannonball tackle as perhaps the lesser of two evils doesn't help or move our game forward.

To be sure I'd be in favour of any rule that lessened the risk of injury, especially serious ones.

Any serious and well reasoned idea anyone of experience and understanding of our game brings to the managers and rule-makers of RL must be heard at the highest level.

It has been  ruled that Jordan McLean can play ahead of a judiciary hearing into the tackle that injured Alex McKinnon.

Some news on Twitter to say that Alex McKinnon will be quadraplegic.  That isn't necessarily the final word as I've heard of other cases when doctors have given such prognosis and the person has gone on to regain movement in limbs but how devastating that news must be to Alex and his family.  All because of one tackle.

Some news on Twitter to say that Alex McKinnon will be quadraplegic.  That isn't necessarily the final word as I've heard of other cases when doctors have given such prognosis and the person has gone on to regain movement in limbs but how devastating that news must be to Alex and his family.  All because of one tackle.

Oh no, that's so sad if true.

I hope it's not.

Let's hope the official news when it comes eventually  is towards the more positive aspect of your post Saintslass

hmm ? Now the news service that dropped that,(Channel 9) are backpedalling

"Unconfirmed report that Alex McKinnon Could become a quadraplegic"

Considering the serious nature what they had in their previous rush to post :fie:

The show that follows the Titans game in Oz will be covering what seems like sad news regarding Alex's future.

They've just trailed the programme without giving the details.

Telegraph.au does use the paraplegic word.

(edit: factually incorrect - used word quadriplegic)

Telegraph.au does use the paraplegic word.

At that level he will be quadriplegic. The Telegraph have used the wrong term.

No Gav, it was me who made the error.. Now I check back I see they did use the word quadriplegic.

My apologies.

That is a truly inspiring blog Gav.

Can I ask everyone on here to make sure you read it.

Gutted for the lad and his family but also the Storm players involved as they in my opinion will be gutted as well. But life changes rather than it being over and am sure people with more knowledge will confirm that.  But I am also sure the League community will do its best for Alex and his family both short, medium and long term. You see many similar tackles and no injury. Alex seemed to have his head in the wrong place thats all rather than it being a dangerous tackle. Rugby League is a tough physical sport that 99.9% of the time is a safe sport. But due to the way it is, the small 0.1% will see players seriously hurt. I personally dont think any rule changes are needed and want the media often headed by Ex League players like Matty Johns, Matt Geyer etc to keep out of it and stop creating hysteria like they did recently with the head damage scenario. 

Let's hope that NRL will make the best decision on rule changes.

Hopefully too this is the last we will hear from the "Bring back the Biff" Brigade

Gav's blog is a cracker, well worth putting on the main forum as few will see it on here.

7 game ban for McLean.

In my mind this seems harsh compared with the bans imposed for previous similar incidents. I understand the outcome is tragically different but there have been worse tackles than that before.

I will be happy if this is the start of much tougher punishments for lifting tackles in general, I can agree with it then, but if the next one doesn't get a similar ban then to me its wrong.

Very poor decision and I presume we will see a load of people now getting 7 match bans, because I saw a number of similar tackles across various games the past 2 weeks. The Decision is based on injury and fear of the media instead of what actually happened. Its a accident gone wrong and I am afraid Alex Mckinnon has a large part to play in his injury rather than Mclean or the Bromwich Brothers. I am all for punishing dangerous tackles and preventing injury. But I fail to understand this decision and how they can justify saying its worth 7 match ban. The NRL have made a right mess of this and made Mclean a Scapegoat. The NRL at the moment are pushing fans away with decisions and how its running things. And this decision has been rightly criticized by many people. 

It was a tragic accident,but 7 matches for the kid,no way,I am sure McLean was in bits before this decision,Christ knows how he feels now.There has been worse lifting tackles in nearly every NRL match I've watched this season that have gone unpunished,If there is any consistency a lot of players are gonna be sitting out large chunks of the remaining season from now on.

There have been far far worse lifting tackles with much less severe punishments. They have graded this on the injury and not the tackle which is wrong in my eyes. Like I said, if they want to eradicate it then as long as all tackles like this get 7 weeks then fine, but Id be surprised if that's the case.

The NRL were on a hiding to nothing.

It's a terrible tragedy for all concerned.

The NRL were faced with a choice of applying standard practice ( which would have seen a light penalty or no penalty ) or protecting the image of the game.

For every reaonable argument that it was a common place tackle that lead to the tradgedy , there are parents who have kids playing Rugby league and financial backers who demand the NRL take a strong line versus the accepted past practice of judging an incident in isolation of the injuries sustained.

The potential damage to the sports profile is a real variable in weighing up whether a ' fair and reasonable outcome for the player ' is bigger than the game itself.

It was a one in four hundred game type freak occurance.

Will the NRL change the way the game is officiated ? Will they review the role of wrestling in the sport ? 

Count on it.

The Punching has been removed from the game , the Cannon tackling outlawed........three man Lifts will go. 

How about a ban on the "trainers" who introduce the dubious practices, e.g. Chicken wing, Crusher, spear, cannon?