Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Bradford Bulls takeover complete

154 posts in this topic

If he didn't honour the season tickets, that would be about the stupidest thing he could do at this stage. You'd alienate a heck of a lot of the fanbase

Have any lessons been learnt from all this? Doesnt look like it with things still not clear and lots of mistrust involved.

Well he's only been in 48 hours, so it's a bit early to tell...!

Rebuilding of the Bulls has to be done properly and that may mean taking a´step or two backwards like being relegated.

What are you talking about, how is being relegated a great way to grow your club. You do remember Halifax being relegated many years ago don't you?

Anyway they aren't falling for it, Mr. Green has already set a target of "Superleague Survival"

What are you talking about, how is being relegated a great way to grow your club. You do remember Halifax being relegated many years ago don't you?

Anyway they aren't falling for it, Mr. Green has already set a target of "Superleague Survival"

Which in the circumstances is realistic,  and i would think the majority of Bulls fans would be reasonably happy with.

What about all the examples of clubs that are now doing well who have been relegated in the past?

As far as I know, only Warrington haven't been relegated, so just quoting Halifax is once again very selective.

If a club can't afford to function at SL level, then they will drop to their relevant level.

Relegation didn't mess Halifax up, they were a mess in SL. Same with Oldham and Workington.

1. What about all the examples of clubs that are now doing well who have been relegated in the past?

2. Relegation didn't mess Halifax up, they were a mess in SL. Same with Oldham and Workington.

1. Like who and how did being relegated help them?

2. Now that IS strange logic. perhaps you can explain why Mr. Green thinks staying up is his preferred option? After all he can get a parachute payment if the club goes down this year.

2. Now that IS strange logic. perhaps you can explain why Mr. Green thinks staying up is his preferred option? After all he can get a parachute payment if the club goes down this year.

Could it be that he sees a short way down the road, A SL and a lot of lesser clubs, ( much the same as we have now really ) Also he might think that for the Bulls to come back from relegation could be harder for them than most, I can see sense in that simply because their expences ground wise must be a lot heavier.

he (Mr. Green) might think that for the Bulls to come back from relegation could be harder for them than most, I can see sense in that simply because their expenses ground wise must be a lot heavier.

So where's the logic in the idea that it's a good idea to be relegated because somehow it allows you to come back stronger?

So where's the logic in the idea that it's a good idea to be relegated because somehow it allows you to come back stronger?

i dont think anybody reckons relegatiin is a good thing, however a good club will take that in their stride and bounce back.

The reality is if you cant afford SL then you shouldnt be in it. If you cant afford Championship, then you shouldnt be in that either.

Artificially keeping clubs above what they can afford is not good for anyone.

dunno, this has nothing to do with what I said.

again, you go off at a tangent and make up your own argument. I didnt say relegation helped them, my point is relegation isnt the death sentence people believe, otherwise there would only be Warrington in SL.

Huddersfield bumped along at the bottom of SL for several seasons being exempted from relegation for one reason or another. When they were finally relegated, the club reorganised, got the structures sorted, won promotion and started on the path to SL success and top echelon billing that they enjoy today. Before that the club was a perennial cellar dweller.

i dont think anybody reckons relegatiin is a good thing, however a good club will take that in their stride and bounce back.

The reality is if you cant afford SL then you shouldnt be in it. If you cant afford Championship, then you shouldnt be in that either.

Artificially keeping clubs above what they can afford is not good for anyone.

How many clubs need to be kept artificially in the elite division? Those franchises (dirty term?) should be ring fenced.

What about all the examples of clubs that are now doing well who have been relegated in the past?

As far as I know, only Warrington haven't been relegated, so just quoting Halifax is once again very selective.

If a club can't afford to function at SL level, then they will drop to their relevant level.

Relegation didn't mess Halifax up, they were a mess in SL. Same with Oldham and Workington.

Don't think Saints or Leeds have ever been relegated either. Neither have Bradford, strictly speaking. The only time they spent in Div 2 was one season when the change from one division to two was made. That was a straight split, top 16 to div 1 bottom 14 to div 2, not really 'relegation', unless all 14 were classed as 'relegated'.

Don't think Saints or Leeds have ever been relegated either. Neither have Bradford, strictly speaking. The only time they spent in Div 2 was one season when the change from one division to two was made. That was a straight split, top 16 to div 1 bottom 14 to div 2, not really 'relegation', unless all 14 were classed as 'relegated'.

Saints did in the early 1900s although it was as you describe as much to do with the re shaping of the leagues as anything.

again, you go off at a tangent and make up your own argument. I didnt say relegation helped them, my point is relegation isnt the death sentence people believe, otherwise there would only be Warrington in SL.

Again it's not about me.  Clubs could handle relegation when they were all semi pro, but the big financial divide 1996 onwards makes a big difference. Workington relegated - look at them? Oldham relegated and they are rock bottom, Leigh almost fell into CC1, Halifax have had 10 years out.

The only bounce backs were Fartown under Daveys money, Salford's under Wilkinsons money and Cas under Fulton's money.

So that's why I respectfully disagree with you. To drop from Pro to semi-pro is more akin to a death sentence than a little local difficulty. If Bradford don't have a money man to use his fortune to counter the reality that dropping to semi pro is a potential disaster, then I am not surprised the new man doesn't want it.

i knew id get my wording wrong as its a technicality, i think it may be that Wire are the only team that hasnt played in the lower division, i think Cas were the other one until a few years back.

Again it's not about me.  Clubs could handle relegation when they were all semi pro, but the big financial divide 1996 onwards makes a big difference. Workington relegated - look at them? Oldham relegated and they are rock bottom, Leigh almost fell into CC1, Halifax have had 10 years out.

The only bounce backs were Fartown under Daveys money, Salford's under Wilkinsons money and Cas under Fulton's money.

So that's why I respectfully disagree with you. To drop from Pro to semi-pro is more akin to a death sentence than a little local difficulty. If Bradford don't have a money man to use his fortune to counter the reality that dropping to semi pro is a potential disaster, then I am not surprised the new man doesn't want it.

Difficult to argue with a lot of that, which goes to prove even more that big money men are what are needed, Trouble is none of them seem to want Bradford, Which is not that easy to understand. They have proved they can be a big club, they can get big crowds, they can win Cups, The Ground is the only downside.

I don't see what the point of MK getting involved was, if he was prepared to pay so little. unless he's just biding his time, thinking he may get it eventually for nothing.

The only thing about relegation is. If this new system is a success, Ahem !! It doesn't have to be the end of the Bulls, they could be one of the clubs that bouces up and down for a couple of seasons, till they get sorted.

Again it's not about me. Clubs could handle relegation when they were all semi pro, but the big financial divide 1996 onwards makes a big difference. Workington relegated - look at them? Oldham relegated and they are rock bottom, Leigh almost fell into CC1, Halifax have had 10 years out.

not a single club has died since being relegated from SL. Some have found their level, and thats life.

There are plenty of clubs in SL who have played in the lower division in the last 20 years.

not a single club has died since being relegated from SL.

And so you make your own argument up. I said "To drop from Pro to semi-pro is more akin to a death sentence than a little local difficulty" i.e it is more of a disaster than you make out. Lets agree to disagree.....

And so you make your own argument up. I said "To drop from Pro to semi-pro is more akin to a death sentence than a little local difficulty" i.e it is more of a disaster than you make out. Lets agree to disagree.....

that would be easy however you take over many threads banging on about the same points.

You brought death into this with your death sentence point, so my point directly related to yours.

I will just point out, as a proud Keighley fan, that the first time we had two divisions, I think it was 1902 or thereabouts, Keighley won promotion ahead of Leeds, so the Headingley boys have been in Div 2, albeit a long long time ago.

I will just point out, as a proud Keighley fan, that the first time we had two divisions, I think it was 1902 or thereabouts, Keighley won promotion ahead of Leeds, so the Headingley boys have been in Div 2, albeit a long long time ago.

The point is about relegation today, in the SL era. As Matryn Sadler said the relegation of clubs from Superleague can be very damaging to the clubs involved and I suspect Bradford are no different.

Leigh almost fell into C1 because we were carp, not due to relegation

The point is about relegation today, in the SL era. As Matryn Sadler said the relegation of clubs from Superleague can be very damaging to the clubs involved and I suspect Bradford are no different.

As Martyn Sadler failed to point out lack of promotion can be very damaging also, the half way house we have from 2015 eases the pain - SL clubs have never gone down with a £750k parachute as I recall

A clubs very existence is perilously dependant on many factors, regardless of which division they are in. Bearing in mind there is no link between P&R and the situation that exists at Odsal, I'm unsure why it is a topic of conversation.

I'm sure it's interesting to speculate but not to the point of thinking it's a fact.