Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Methven Hornet

Never forget that England is, at heart, a progressive nation

123 posts in this topic

As is, of course, Wales.

For the first time in history, same sex couples will be able to make the ultimate commitment to each other. To all those who will take advantage of the new equal marriage legislation tomorrow, and in the future, CONGRATULATIONS!

And well done to all who helped make it possible; Scotland will be there soon.

Absoutely, congratulations to all the couples who can now get married because they love each other.

I don't, and never have, understood the big push for gays to get married. Have they all suddenly started believing in god and now want approval or something?

NB I have been with my other half since 1986, have 3 kids and we aren't married. I couldn't care less what I *should* have done but hey, I am a rule breaker ;)

As is, of course, Wales.

For the first time in history, same sex couples will be able to make the ultimate commitment to each other. To all those who will take advantage of the new equal marriage legislation tomorrow, and in the future, CONGRATULATIONS!

And well done to all who helped make it possible; Scotland will be there soon.

Where are NI on this issue ?

The Catholics and Protestants are still arguing about which one of them is going to be for gay marriage and which one is going to be against it. They've agreed to have talks about having talks. Theresa May is due to fly in next week for the photo-opportunity.

I don't know what the fuss is about, me and the missus have been in a same sex marriage for nigh on 20 years. The sex has always been the same.

The Catholics and Protestants are still arguing about which one of them is going to be for gay marriage and which one is going to be against it. They've agreed to have talks about having talks. Theresa May is due to fly in next week for the photo-opportunity.

Sinn Fein are in favour as they are a leftist party. The SDLP are a party of conservative religious minded Catholics and are against it as are the unionists.

I don't, and never have, understood the big push for gays to get married. Have they all suddenly started believing in god and now want approval or something?

NB I have been with my other half since 1986, have 3 kids and we aren't married. I couldn't care less what I *should* have done but hey, I am a rule breaker ;)

Since when was marriage about anything about god? 

Since when was marriage about anything about god?

Since it is a religious ceremony maybe?

And when and where was that?

The fact is, you don't really know, do you. But don't let anyone from voicing your ill informed opinion.

The 'big push' for equal marriage has come from people who were previously denied the right previously. I don't think there has been a mass conversion to a belief in God, but then God isn't really the issue. There are planty of people who have no religious faith who are married, or are in favour of marriage.

Why the big push at this time? Well, I suppose if you've been campaigning for de-criminalisation, equal employment and pension rights, parity with the heterosexual age of consent, and against homophobic bullying, violence and legislation, marriage rights have to wait their turn.

I am a great believer in marriage for a number of reasons, but I understand that not all  people share that belief. I know plenty of people who have stable and successful relationships, with and without children, and their choice is as valid as mine. The point here is that people are no longer denied the opportunity to marry solely because the person they love and want to commit to is of the same sex.

And before we know it the Irish have new 'excuse' to kill each other.

Marriage hasn't been religious for about 150 years.  There was a spell when it was entirely religious - during this time most people did not get married.

The people I feel sorry for are those who shelled out for a civil partnership ceremony who will now get earache from their partner until they get "properly married".

Or is it only heterosexual relationships that run that way?

Marriage hasn't been religious for about 150 years. There was a spell when it was entirely religious - during this time most people did not get married.

And don't forget originally it had nothing to do with religion, but rather alliances and property.

I genuinely feel sorry for those that do not even realise that their objections really come down to homophobia. The main objection is basically a semantic argument over the word 'marriage.' In reality many of them think that this will somehow lead to more homosexuals which they don't want. 

It is often religious people that are so against gay marriage which some people think makes it OK. However, when you see how clear Jesus was about the issue of divorce and how little they campaign about that, this argument falls apart. The majority of Christians in this country are in churches which allow divorce. What exactly is it about this specific issue of marriage that they take such a firm stance against? 

It's like they suspend their logic when it comes to this issue. On Question Time there was a woman from Christian Voices who started on about how their voice has been ignored despite a petition of 600k people. Firstly, they would only be classed as having listened to them if they gave in to them and secondly that amount of people isn't even 2% of the population. 

Marriage isn't a word.

.Its a sentence.

And when and where was that?

The fact is, you don't really know, do you. But don't let anyone from voicing your ill informed opinion.

I like it. I am ill informed because a troll on TRL says so. I don't need anyone to stamp my gay friendly credentials because I had them stamped many years ago - ask anyone. If you like, I will go out of my way to prove how gay friendly I am by mindlessly agreeing with any issue. Because as you know all homosexual people have little else to do besides wander round the house all day watching Larry Grayson.

Personally I don't think churches, mosques, synagogues or whatever should be licensed to carry out weddings.

People should get legally married in a civil ceremony at a registry office. If they want to have a religious service as well that's fine by me, but it should have no legal standing.

I am heterosexual and got married in a church ceremony thirty odd years ago. I paid the penalty and have regretted it ever since.

Why should gay people be allowed to get away scot free.

;)

Personally I don't think churches, mosques, synagogues or whatever should be licensed to carry out weddings.

People should get legally married in a civil ceremony at a registry office. If they want to have a religious service as well that's fine by me, but it should have no legal standing.

Isn't that basically how it works though?  Only the Church of England can actually marry you, the rest need the presence of a registrar?

I think it's because Catholics can't be trusted.

Marriage hasn't been religious for about 150 years. There was a spell when it was entirely religious - during this time most people did not get married.

Yes but it is still basically a religious ceremony for all that. ...man and woman. .eyes of God and all that. I have heard more than one gay person say the same thing as Brian Sewell.

People who don't actually see gay people as just, well, people, often feel the need to speak for and be offended for them. If they knew any they would discover that agreeing with everything they say or do is ludicrously patronising.

Yes but it is still basically a religious ceremony for all that. ...man and woman. .eyes of God and all that. I have heard more than one gay person say the same thing as Brian Sewell.

People who don't actually see gay people as just, well, people, often feel the need to speak for and be offended for them. If they knew any they would discover that agreeing with everything they say or do is ludicrously patronising.

The Tories recently exposed themselves as patronising by using the word "they" to homogenise a group of people, I fear you've done the same.