Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

plug

DR players

33 posts in this topic

Then quite simply they should not be in this league......

Not sure I'd go that far.  Lots of clubs have some sort of injury crisis at some time.

I'd be reluctant to say that that's a criticism of DR.

griff i agree clubs do have injury crisis etc, and always have, but i think to say that because 6 absentees means you carnt field a team is a pretty poor indication from a club who are in the second tier of a profesional sport. and as les tonks sidestep says surely they should not be in it, if that is there prediciment, i bet even amateur teams would have to play regardless.

It must be nice to live along the M62 corridor where teams can pick players up from other clubs including SL clubs very easily. Some of you need to think that many of the players that you and others are able to sign will not sign for clubs in Cumbria because of the travelling involved. Barrow has 26 players (including 3 loanees), Whitehaven have 22 and Town have 23.

Town's 23 includes 3 lads taken straight from the local amateur ranks and we have 18 Cumbrians plus 3 that are not Cumbrian but live in the area. It's sometimes easier to get players from the other side of the world than to get players to travel from Yorkshire.

Cumbria, the hot bed of RL and let us hope it will remain so. This is one of the reasons that finances should be filtering down to such clubs, enabling them to bring on the local talent, of which this area abounds.Never mind the antipodeans, if we cannot encourage our own it is a sad reflection upon the sport in general.

Agree with Saddleworth - we're always being told about Cumbria's strengths.  Are you saying it's all smoke and mirrors, Keith ?

Agree with Saddleworth - we're always being told about Cumbria's strengths.  Are you saying it's all smoke and mirrors, Keith ?

No smoke and mirrors Griff. Below the semi-professional game we probably have the smallest, in numbers, of clubs and players in the amateur game and yet we have the likes of Wath Brow Hornets, Egremont, Kells, Walney Central, Millom, etc, all more than holding their own with the best of amateur clubs in the country.

The problem higher up is that these small number of clubs have to feed 3 clubs in the Championship because as I have said we can't get the players from Yorkshire to travel to play for our clubs. Town have gone down the route of having predominantly local players whilst Haven have more travellers from Lancashire in the main and 2 PNG players. With no reserve teams, again because of the cost of travelling each other week on journey's other clubs moan about doing once or twice per season, having a big squad leaves a lot of disenchanted players not getting games.

Clubs around the M62 corridor just don't realise the problems that clubs in West Cumbria face and on the whole I think the 3 Cumbrian clubs are doing exceptionally well to hold their places in the Championship (for now).

No smoke and mirrors Griff. Below the semi-professional game we probably have the smallest, in numbers, of clubs and players in the amateur game and yet we have the likes of Wath Brow Hornets, Egremont, Kells, Walney Central, Millom, etc, all more than holding their own with the best of amateur clubs in the country.

The problem higher up is that these small number of clubs have to feed 3 clubs in the Championship because as I have said we can't get the players from Yorkshire to travel to play for our clubs. Town have gone down the route of having predominantly local players whilst Haven have more travellers from Lancashire in the main and 2 PNG players. With no reserve teams, again because of the cost of travelling each other week on journey's other clubs moan about doing once or twice per season, having a big squad leaves a lot of disenchanted players not getting games.

Clubs around the M62 corridor just don't realise the problems that clubs in West Cumbria face and on the whole I think the 3 Cumbrian clubs are doing exceptionally well to hold their places in the Championship (for now).

You're building up a very good argument against the expansionists. Those of us along the M62 corridor are indeed very lucky, and we have a head start over bigger towns and cities outside the traditional areas.