Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monkeydo

So PV's had a few games to see the personnel.......

294 posts in this topic

Utter rubbish. If we had a bigger squad we wouldn't need dual reg....unless we got beat then everyone would say we were desperate for it. We saw what happened a few year ago when we had a big squad, around 4 or 5 asked to be released so we then had a small squad. You can't have it both ways and that isn't an opinion it's fact based on what's happened in the past. It's impossible to keep a bigger squad happy. Havrn had it last year and when the DR dried up and players went home they were scratching around for amateurs to fill their places as some of their original squad has asked to be released.

Hunslet have a large squad of 28 and intended to resist the use of DR but seven long term injuries and one short term injury to Andy Ballard prior to last week forced them to relent. Whatever the philosophy of Town, the choice of using DR or not is taken away from you if you walk the tightrope of a Club squad of only 21/22.

Derwent , your point is fair . We've said it many times . We made DR a central component of our plans . The second point , when absentees bite , is just fact . I used the word scary . That's all pretty stark . Without DR , we wouldn't compete in this league , what we have isn't good enough . Many teams are improving and the league is levelling out at a good standard .That's a big leap of faith in Wigan and how these guys react to being shipped up here ...Risky business . It's not gone to plan yet .But that's our route now for good or ill . Veivers will use it big I think , which is a view on the quality we have as much as quantity . And what quality we do have getting injured really hurts us , as we can't replace the impact or sometimes even cover the position . And it seems to happen to us a lot , unluckily .

Even with a squad of 50 you'd still want to use them as theoretically they should be better than what you have. If we were dual reg with Wigan and were losing everyone would be screaming to use it so why not use it from the start and skip the other bit where you pi#s people off and cost yourself money?! Haney has already asked to be released and that's in a squad of 22 or whatever it is. If we signed another 6 does anyone seriously believe they'd be better than our existing first choice players? Or has someone found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow?

Let's get real

And if we did sign another 6 that were better would you expect that the ones who moved down the pecking order wouldn't want to go elsewhere?!

Oh for the days of an A Team, when young players could be brought on, injured players could 'gently' return. Saturday and then Sunday Rugby afternoons at Town were so much more enjoyable then ......but I suppose progress is better!

You're missing the point. DR should augment your squad, not be a key component of it. Without DR we would struggle to put a team out, that's bad planning whichever way you look at it.

I agree with you Derwent. I think Wigan are the ones who are dictating too, when they want a player to play from Wigan, he will play!

Mr Vievers has had time to assess the squad and surely he can see what is obvious to fans I.e we are lacking quality and experience at half back and ditto in the front row and centres. The question is what is the board going to do about it? If the last two games are anything to go by we can't rely on DR. If changes aren't imminent in the near future I fear the Town will be facing relegatuon and then what?

If you get 2 superleague props in (they're in superleague because they're better than the props in the championship are they not?) why would you use someone who is of lower quality?

Fully agree with the statement regarding a reserve side but we are where we are.

Question is do we want

a. a large squad where we have lots of players who don't get a game so we struggle towards the end of the season because we get injuries and a number of players who weren't getting a game earlier in the season got struck off - so the club got criticised

b. a smaller squad with DR From a so called weaker club so we lose matches for not getting enough quality players - so the club get criticised

Or

c. a smaller squad with DR from a bigger club who provide more players - so the club get criticised

Answers on a postcard.......

I think that's what you call a no win situation.

I think some owe H4E an apology when he told you this was happening that wane was telling you who was playing and that dual reg would damage your club you all attacked him but all of a sudden your agreeing with what he said.

I don't think he is saying who's playing. The players who have played so far have played because, on paper, they're better than what we have. You'll be able to judge that when miller, carter and Matty are all fit. I bet they all play.

No . An apology is for something factually wrong . Wane dictating who plays is just some peoples opinion . We don't know that , and I don't buy it . And take DR away this season and I tell ya , our club ( team) is much more damaged . Can't you see that from everything we're saying ? Whether we agree with it or not , we're admitting we need it. Concentrate on your own club , you're prospects are no better.

I'm sorry but some of these players aren't better. The likes of lever and Farrell are not better than the lads who are left out, we're moving a top quality second rower in stack to accommodate an average player in Farrell, he could have easliy left stack at 2nd row and use rooney (against keighley) or Morris (against dews) as centres, Murphy was getting a game before carter was injured as he's not good enough even on the wing. Big Callum has shown more heart,determination and grit than dudson ever has for us. I'm all for playing the likes of tierney,Hopkins and James as they show us heart and quality. But if wane is ordering us to play the rest then were in big trouble. And I'm afraid that's exactly what's happening.

I don't think for one minute that Shaun Wane is telling us which Wigan players we have to play. What coach worth his salt would accept a situation like that where somebody else picks his team? Yes, Wane tells us which players are available and after that it's up to our coach to say which players play. At the moment Phil Vievers probably knows the Wigan players better than our own as he is just getting to know them and how they play. How much does he know about Dan Rooney? I'm sure in his own mind he thinks that young Farrell is a better player but he is not necessarily right. The more Vievers sees our lads playing then the more accurate assessment he can make. One thing is for sure this is the squad we have and the only way we are going to make it better is by DR or loans, I think that point is quite obvious, so we have to make the best of it and get on with supporting whichever players pull the Town shirt on.

Murphy has NEVER been picked over Carter. And although Stack isn't a centre I bet he has the ability to be a far better centre than Morris or Rooney, although I personally think he's wasted there. The coach obviously thought that putting stack in the centre and having Farrell in was stronger than the other option but I doubt he'll do it again. And whatever big Callum shows he doesn't have the reputation of Dudson and i bet anyone here (and anywhere else in the country apart from Callum's house) on reputation would rather have Dudson in than Rowlandson.

I think we'll see exactly who's picking the team when we have our better players fit.

Players will be offered .... We will make positional enquiries . We will pick the best on offer in connection also to which holes we need to fill . That would my guess . Months of work went into this link , so the details would be worked out to our satisfaction . We wouldn't give up that level of control .

Did you not think Farrell was one of our top performers at Dewsbury then wonky?

was there a top performer at Dewsbury? What I do know is the second row pairing of stack and Brett are one of the best in the league and have helped us have 2 great years, and is Farrell better than either of them? Not even close.

I didn't say they weren't and I would use him as an interchange but I wouldn't say he was average based on his performance at Dewsbury would you?

You must've been watching a different game then. And he isn't Wigan class - yet - or he'd be in their team and not ours wouldn't he......

A good result this weekend and we can look forward with optimism, a bad result and the vultures will be circling.

Both Barrow and Haven have now signed quality half backs this week, and whether it's via dual reg or otherwise we badly need another Darren Holt to lead us round the pitch with a quality kicking game. I would prefer somebody with experience but surely PV will realise that is our achilles heel and address it before it's too late. No doubt when we are at full strength and have the right DR lads in the right places we can do it, hopefully the new system is bedded in now and we can kick on for the Sheffield game.

Maybe you should get a DVD pal of Sundays game Farrell isn't as good as olstrum!

jack Hughes is wigan class isn't he and in there team most weeks, wasn't on Sunday though!! uote name="GeordieTownie" post="2910055" timestamp="1396509899"]

You must've been watching a different game then. And he isn't Wigan class - yet - or he'd be in their team and not ours wouldn't he......