Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

central park

A lions tour is it folly?

116 posts in this topic

The France tour to NZ in 2015 is a definite (or at least as definite as anything in RL is). The NZRL is quoted as confirming this, the only unknowns are the make up of the 2 other games France will play alongside the Test with the Kiwis. 

So France are going all the way to NZ and are playing just one test?! What a joke. Let's hope they play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region. 

So France are going all the way to NZ and are playing just one test?! What a joke. Let's hope they play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region.

What's funny about that?

Peru are playing at Wembley at soccer soon are you lol'in??

Should they not bother at all?

Also didnt iestyn say he wanted to take wales on tour?

Dave T s tournament idea based in France sounds interesting. Toulouse, Albi, Avignon, Carcassonne and Perpignan all capable of drawing five-figure crowds. Wouldn't mind as an aside seeing Wales at Avignon this Autumn. They've had crowds of 14,000 (Ireland), 16,000 (England) and 17,000 (NZ) up in Vaucluse in the last three years. Need to build on that.

Re-2015 I thought that France have already arranged to undertake a three-match tour of New Zealand next year. May be that though depends on GB tour going a head. With the union WC thing taking place across the Channnel could work with strategic planning; the Top 14 suspended could create a window.

I would play one home and one away game

england vs france

france vs wales

wales vs england

and rotate each year, only 1 game for each country to sell and because of the regular rotation plenty of notice for travelling fans....

also if NRL players wasn't selected these games could be played through the season maybe august? Which would give players a rest in the off season

What's funny about that?

Peru are playing at Wembley at soccer soon are you lol'in??

Should they not bother at all?

Also didnt iestyn say he wanted to take wales on tour?

What on earth on you on about? Where did I say it was funny?  :blink:

I said it's a joke that they're going all that way and playing JUST one test, why not more? Why not play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region?

Peru are playing at Wembley, then a few days later they're playing Switzerland in Switzerland, exactly my point. 

I don't see why they can't have a Championship spread over the year. For example:

2015:

April: France v England, England v Wales

July: Wales v France, England v France

Oct: France v Wales, Wales v England

Team top of the group at the end wins the title. Yes, 95% of the time it will probably be England, but so what? England haven't won a Four Nations title either, doesn't stop us having them. 

I don't see why they can't have a Championship spread over the year. For example:

2015:

April: France v England, England v Wales

July: Wales v France, England v France

Oct: France v Wales, Wales v England

Team top of the group at the end wins the title. Yes, 95% of the time it will probably be England, but so what? England haven't won a Four Nations title either, doesn't stop us having them.

a mid season test series would give a break in the season..... one the community game is crying out for... win win

I would play one home and one away game

england vs france

france vs wales

wales vs england

and rotate each year, only 1 game for each country to sell and because of the regular rotation plenty of notice for travelling fans....

also if NRL players wasn't selected these games could be played through the season maybe august? Which would give players a rest in the off season

How about playing this series on the same dates as State of Origin ,it will make it hard for the NRL not to release players as QLD and NSW players are takin out of comp before SoO.

Les

I have always thought we should have the GB tours and alot of the posts have reinforced my views, they were amazing specticles in the past and the R U have shown they work in the present. You have to make sacrifices as a game for the greater good and i feel a mix of european games along with a vibrant international fixture list would do a hell of alot for the game as a whole!

I have always thought we should have the GB tours and alot of the posts have reinforced my views, they were amazing specticles in the past and the R U have shown they work in the present. You have to make sacrifices as a game for the greater good and i feel a mix of european games along with a vibrant international fixture list would do a hell of alot for the game as a whole!

4 European games every year would do far more for British RL than a three match losing series every 4 years.....

Of course and Union also announce their tours well in advance, so fans know where they'll be going years in advance. RL will wait until June next year to announce the dates, meaning fans will have very little chance of making it and thus completely scuppering the idea of a tour.

What's wrong with having a NH tournament next year? Now I know the stadiums will be booked for the RUWC, but then why not have it in France instead?

I mentioned something similar in a different thread. There could be a NH 4, 5 or 6 Nations with more regionalised competitions underneath for the less established nations. The NH competition could be used to qualify for the 2016 4 Nations with World Cup qualifiers running at the same time as the 4 Nations.The finishing positions for the WC could be used to determine the teams for 2018 4N which starts the cycle again.

The SH could mirror the NH competition so both Hemispheres would have regular competitions.

The teams that aren't involved in the 2014, 2018 etc 4N could maybe play in a 2nd tier 4N or play test series/tours against some of the other non qualifiers

Listen to a lot of Aussie commentries when GB have been on tour in Oz, they invariably refer to GB as England, they don't know the difference, probably because there isn't much to difference to notice.

GB is dead, let it rest in a long peace.

They were discussing GB returning briefly on Boots N All yesterday and Terry O'Connor said it would be pointless having a GB team full of England players. He reiterated that it's more important to grow and develop the junior game in the other home nations, so there are more players coming through those countries. 

4 European games every year would do far more for British RL than a three match losing series every 4 years.....

Definitely, we need to grow the sport in Europe and the only way to do that is by having a Euro based tournament. Why would the French care about a GB v Australia series? However, a 4 Nations involving England, France, Wales and Italy (picked them as they will be most competitive with their Aussies and they beat two of those teams last year), would be of far more interest to them and hopefully build the profile of RL in Europe. 

To answer the original question. Yes, it could increase interest in the game outside the North of England and restore the game’s international prestige. I won’t hold my breath.

Edit mis-read 

What on earth on you on about? Where did I say it was funny?  :blink:

I said it's a joke that they're going all that way and playing JUST one test, why not more? Why not play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region?

Peru are playing at Wembley, then a few days later they're playing Switzerland in Switzerland, exactly my point. 

Are you going to finance that trip to the Pacific Islands by the French?

I know that the Great Britain Lions of the past was mention by some as an England team with union converts from Wales and Scotland but a Lions team of today will probably help RL in the UK and Ireland in a big way. A Lions jersey will do wonders for Welsh, Scottish, Irish RL players and also those with Celtic connections who are born and raised in England. 

The success of the union Five/Six Nations and Heineken Cup are all link into that first Lions tours and all the tours after that.

Definitely, we need to grow the sport in Europe and the only way to do that is by having a Euro based tournament. Why would the French care about a GB v Australia series? However, a 4 Nations involving England, France, Wales and Italy (picked them as they will be most competitive with their Aussies and they beat two of those teams last year), would be of far more interest to them and hopefully build the profile of RL in Europe. 

The trouble with that 4 Nations idea is if the Aussie Italians couldn't get released by their clubs for the tournament, if would leave Italy very thin on experience and talent.

Iconic jersey v iconic jersey - the biggest sporting contest in RL. GB Lions v Australia - which fool wouldn't want that.

To answer the original question. Yes, it could increase interest in the game outside the North of England and restore the game’s international prestige. I won’t hold my breath.

What do you mean 'restore' the games international prestige? It has never really had one. Even in this era that people like to wax lyrical about with Hanley etc, the criticism was that hardly any countries played the sport. Having a high standard of teams from Wales or Ireland would do 50x more for the game than satisfying some peoples rose tinted glasses view that pretending England are GB will solve all our ills - it

won't.

Iconic jersey v iconic jersey - the biggest sporting contest in RL. GB Lions v Australia - which fool wouldn't want that.

In the 20th Century maybe, its the 21st Century now and things have evolved. The GB Lions only existed so that we could play our top union imports against the Aussies. We need a different model for a different century.

Yes, it could increase interest in the game outside the North of England and restore the game’s international prestige.

It might be dreaming but didn't we just have the most successful RLWC with sellouts, big crowds in Cardiff and London plus Scotland, Fiji and France doing incredibly well and capturing imaginations across the country?

More competing nations playing more internationals will continue to develop the game's international prestige; the process has already started as the last RLWC proved but it needs to continue with more matches, especially for the smaller nations rather than just nostalgic dreams about GB playing for the Ashes every other year. The game MUST move forward rather than constantly looking to the past... rightly we should remember our history and heritage but we should not utilise it as the default setting as the game and the world has changed dramatically since the mid-90s when GB last had any relevance to modern RL.

The trouble with that 4 Nations idea is if the Aussie Italians couldn't get released by their clubs for the tournament, if would leave Italy very thin on experience and talent.

If it's an official International, then unless I'm mistaken under RLIF rules the clubs must release them for it.

What do you mean 'restore' the games international prestige? It has never really had one. Even in this era that people like to wax lyrical about with Hanley etc, the criticism was that hardly any countries played the sport. Having a high standard of teams from Wales or Ireland would do 50x more for the game than satisfying some peoples rose tinted glasses view that pretending England are GB will solve all our ills - it

won't.

Well said!  I look at things this way:

Tours where the same countries play each other over and over again = a small-time game that very few countries play, and consequently doesn't have any prestige

Such thinking goes totally against what is needed to build on last year's World Cup.

Wow, another excellent comment by you. :ok:

Yes I'm going to pay for something that the FFRXIII can quite clearly afford themselves. So you think going all the way to NZ and playing one match is good enough? That attitude is why IRL will continue to struggle. 

Just a reality check mate, the FFRXIII isn't really awash with cash to make such expensive trips to the Pacific Islands. I agree with your point on playing more games while in NZ and it should be against NZ provinces and NZ Maori.