Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

The Tetley's Challenge Cup - Fourth Round Match Thread

Will you be watching any of these games?   54 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching any of these games?

• I'll watch the BBC televised game only.
    • I'll watch the BBC televised game and attend one other game.
    • I'll watch the BBC televised game and attend more than one other game.
    • I won't watch the BBC televised game but I will attend one other game.
    • I won't watch the BBC televised game but I will attend more than one other game.
    • I won't watch the BBC televised game or attend any other game.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

436 posts in this topic

Depends what you mean. I find 5 drives and a kick before an attempt at goal until someone scores very boring. I would prefer if it was 30 mins extra time.

What about the pressure put on the defense by Rangi before that? He avoided the attempt at a drop goal to put Hull under enormous pressure that caused the error. Great game. The best.

Great commentary on radio 5 live as well. Andrew Henderson superb. Get him on Sky.

That was the best game I've ever listened to on the radio.  The commentary was fantastic.  I loved Hendo when he featured on Premier Sports.  He brings everything you want to a commentary.

Fabulous advert for the Challenge Cup, everything a knock out match could be really, imperfections and all.

Well done to the Devils; commiserations to Hull FC. 

Meanwhile, Nobby lives to see another day!

Tough way to lose it but that was some game.

Felt sorry for Jacob Miller when he missed the late drop goal with Hull leading 36-30. He deserved to be the hero of the hour.

Hull 36 Salford 36, Meli hat trick.

Its golden Point not extra time, as I type chase drops a goal, Salford through to the next round.

when did they stop re-matches at the reverse venue? Its not like it would happen often....I fondly remember salford knocking wigan out in a replay....

Tough way to lose it but that was some game.

Felt sorry for Jacob Miller when he missed the late drop goal with Hull leading 36-30. He deserved to be the hero of the hour.

He certainly did but I thought the drop goal attempt was misguided.

Keep the pressure on, put a kick through along the floor, anything like that.

Whatever you do, don't give the opposition chance to break out from their own half.

Hull did just that.

Why was this on a Thursday?

Doesn't matter what day it is when it was a game and a result like that.

Doesn't matter what day it is when it was a game and a result like that.

You should read the history on the subject on this forum.

Apart from that I agree with you, even speaking as a Hull fan.

You should read the history on the subject on this forum.

Apart from that I agree with you, even speaking as a Hull fan.

I know the history thanks. I've been a Salford supporter since 1967. I just don't understand why a magnificent match like this has to have any negative comments. It was a great game of the greatest of games.

To give Hull an advantage.

Now let it lie!

He certainly did but I thought the drop goal attempt was misguided.

Keep the pressure on, put a kick through along the floor, anything like that.

Whatever you do, don't give the opposition chance to break out from their own half.

Hull did just that.

I felt at the time that Hull should have gone for the try to kill the game off. We were having no trouble opening up Salford's goal line defence and we went for the one option we always screw up, the drop goal. Having said that, it was perfectly set up and would have won the game so it's hard to be too critical of the decision to go for it.

We threw it away playing dumb rugby, Salford scored there final try from a short kick off which we decided to defend with Danny Houghten, the smallest man in our team, well done Salford.

I know the history thanks. I've been a Salford supporter since 1967. I just don't understand why a magnificent match like this has to have any negative comments. It was a great game of the greatest of games.

Mine wasn't a negative comment, I was just 'aving a larf about the Thursday controversy. You didn't need to have been a Salford fan for forty odd years to see that.

Enjoy the result, hope you go well in the cup, who knows?..you might even beat the Wire in a cup semi. It would be fabulous if you do and at least you'd be in with a shout of winning at Wembley.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the comp and cheering on my second favourite team.

An advantage over who?

In case that was a serious question......Huddersfield.

OF....The Wires in the semis....that might just happen, but then you would have to cheer on your 3rd team.

when did they stop re-matches at the reverse venue? Its not like it would happen often....I fondly remember salford knocking wigan out in a replay....

I'd have liked a reply, if only so we could schedule it for a 'suitable' time. 3 a.m. on a Tuesday, something like that.

We threw it away playing dumb rugby, Salford scored there final try from a short kick off which we decided to defend with Danny Houghten, the smallest man in our team, well done Salford.

I thought the lack of experience showed at times in what was a very young Hull team. It was noticeable how much more freedom Chase had with Richard Horne missing for instance.

If they had their own ground, he'd be allowed to take the dog in...

That's the trouble with sport today. When we were kids our dog attended the Boulevard and Boothferry Park and managed to get the game stopped at both venues.

That's the trouble with sport today. When we were kids our dog attended the Boulevard and Boothferry Park and managed to get the game stopped at both venues.

Do you remember Eddie Waring commentating when a dog ran on the pitch once?

He christened it "Hull Kingston Rover"

I sincerely hope that wasn't your dog.

I think you do yourselves a disservice. Fartown will be seriously tough for Saints. I'd imagine Huddersfield will be much better being that it's in the Cup and will be more like the side that won at Wigan and pushed Leeds. It looks likely that Walsh, Walmsley and Turner are back for Saints alongside Amor and LMS so I fancy Saints to be the victors. I'd expect a close one though. Huddersfield are one of the very few sides that could actually compete with Saints' forwards.

I'd go Huddersfield 14 St Helens 24

I hope you are right, but if you have seen much of Fartown this season you will know they are not the side that played so well last season, Saint on the other hand are the best side i have seen this season, pushed by Leeds.

I didn't see Wolves last week and their must have been an element of them playing well in the second half, and while i would not want to take any credit away from them, there must also have been some pretty poor defence to concede 29 unanswered points.

Giants have put in a reasonable performance against Wigan, and a good one against Leeds, the rest have been OK in parts and absolutely dire in others, Nothing to suggest we will be any match for Saints, unless we hit the form we did against Leeds, and that is what i am desperately hoping for. Wardle is a big loss, Cudjo not so much at the moment, IMO.

It's early days yet and the CC can be a great leveller, Last nights game is proof of that, But there's no point coming on and giving a false opinion, I think Saints will be far too good but i desperately hope I'm wrong, I shall be there shouting anyway.

I'll be shouting too. Probably something like 'you rather poor fornicating merchant bankers'.

Now look what you've done!

Now look what you've done!

I feel as though I've missed out on summat... :unsure: