Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eldujo

So who is the Salford coach?

79 posts in this topic

"Basket case club, trying to do it all at once instead of building" oh dear and Really!

"I told you so...."

"You never listen....."

"You want to get to t'Top six? Well, I wouldn't start from here!"

Now,now, Marwan.No need to be like that!

He is due to be on the BBC too - at the match on Sunday and on the Superleague Show.

Yep (5 Live is the BBC too by the way), but Fighting Talk is a bit "pull no punches" rather than standard punditry. Thinking about it, he'll certainly be on the proper coverage but maybe not in the morning.

I suppose winning a Challenge Cup tie in golden point extra time just didn't excite him enough.

It was probably more to do with the 36 points they conceded on the way to the extra time win that didn't especially excite him!

At the end of the day you need to give people time. Rome wasn't built in a day. For Noble to be given the elbow is classic short term thinking, as he hasn't disgraced himself so far. Harris will do no better a job and will probably do worse because he hasn't got the experience and had no hand in building the team. Noble is a proven coach who knows the game and in time we all expected the Salford team to click. Not right away but eventually they would be a decent team. Right now they start again and the eventually is up in the air as to whether they will ever be a good team.

I've been cautious on Koucash although I've tended to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least believed his passion but this is unprofessional. It's all a bit too Vincent Tan.

At the end of the day you need to give people time. Rome wasn't built in a day. For Noble to be given the elbow is classic short term thinking, as he hasn't disgraced himself so far. Harris will do no better a job and will probably do worse because he hasn't got the experience and had no hand in building the team. Noble is a proven coach who knows the game and in time we all expected the Salford team to click. Not right away but eventually they would be a decent team. Right now they start again and the eventually is up in the air as to whether they will ever be a good team.

I've been cautious on Koucash although I've tended to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least believed his passion but this is unprofessional. It's all a bit too Vincent Tan.

This looks a tad political....

Nobby wants to bring in iestyn but iestyn wont move unless hes head coach (and why would he)?

So iestyn is head coach, coaching the team.... and nobby director of football....in charge of youth, signings etc...

At crusaders Nobby was head coach in charge of signings youth etc... his assistant was in charge of coaching the team......

doesnt look much different in job description to me (other than job title)......

This looks a tad political....

Nobby wants to bring in iestyn but iestyn wont move unless hes head coach (and why would he)?

So iestyn is head coach, coaching the team.... and nobby director of football....in charge of youth, signings etc...

At crusaders Nobby was head coach in charge of signings youth etc... his assistant was in charge of coaching the team......

doesnt look much different in job description to me (other than job title)......

Except Koukash said himself it was his own decision to remove Noble, rendering your reading between the lines totally irrelevant.

Except Koukash said himself it was his own decision to remove Noble, rendering your reading between the lines totally irrelevant.

Dr K is a media player, he wants it to be controversial, no good saying "as agreed when Brian was given the coaching role that when we found the right man he would move on... blah blah blah"

Better when you can get Manchester Radio using its Wigan listener power to attract attention to announce a controversial change. 

BANG everybody wants know whats happening.

How can they bring Flanagan in? Isn't he under suspension from the NRL? Don't the RFL have a policy of applying suspensions incurred in other leagues - especially in relation to alleged banned substances offences?

Fool and his money springs to mine

it worked for man city and Warrington to a lesser extent!

As a Crusaders RL fan at the time that Iestyn took over the reigns from Nobby; all I can say is good luck Salford. Expect to see the skills you have been signed for coached right out of you. Expect despondency, a lack of leadership and nobody there to provide support when the going gets tough. Iestyn is NOT your man

it worked for man city and Warrington to a lesser extent!

which bit here compares to Wire?

Cullen was given a long time, Lowes took over, was a disaster and replaced by a top coach.

Koukash is looking like 'Abramovitch-Lite'. Should fit a revolving door at the AJ Bell for when the results don't happen instantly.

Or maybe it's the yin and yang to the other red Manchester side holding on to their manager for too long. (apologies for putting two round ball references in the post!)

I've been mostly positive about Dr K., but this seems premature, to say the least.

I love Marwen !

Hope he has a brother. Harris is a shrewd recruit, young experienced and ready for his first head coach role

No chance he will make a good head coach, trust me.

I'm amazed that anyone with even the barest sporting knowledge would expect to change everything overnight. For sure, there are limits, but firing a bloke half a dozen games into the season and before his squad have even played anything like sufficient games together comes across as knee-jerk and not the actions of a rational man.

Seems a crazy decision ousting a decent experienced coach and replacing him with the inexperienced Harris. I think Koukash is having one here, panicking because the team aren't meeting his unrealistic expectations. Noble needed time, they've had a lot of new players and injuries haven't helped.

I disagree....some coaches...like Noble lose their hunger and desire...they become media persona's and this is what has happened to Noble.

He has lost sight of the Hard graft mentality (which Shaun Wane clearly has), and this is an excellent move for Harris despite the failure of Wales at International level.

I disagree....some coaches...like Noble lose their hunger and desire...they become media persona's and this is what has happened to Noble.

He has lost sight of the Hard graft mentality (which Shaun Wane clearly has), and this is an excellent move for Harris despite the failure of Wales at International level.

It's an excellent move for Harris but I'm not sure you could say the same for Salford. I don't think he's ever given any indication he's head coach material. It seems just like a rash, impulsive decision at a time when Salford finally seem to be moving in the right direction.

Nobbys success at the Bulls was built on a huge pack and huge backs, and a game plan of 5 tackles and kick trying to tire out the opposition, He hasn't been able to replicate that any clubs where he has coached since.

I've been mostly positive about Dr K., but this seems premature, to say the least.

While on the surface it does seem premature, there may be more to it than meets the eye. A few days ago, before any of this became known, someone - a Wigan fan, apparently - came on to the Salford subforum of RLFans to tell us he's heard "from a reliable source" (isn't it always?) that Nobby had lost the dressing room and would be replaced in the not too distant future. Normally, you take rumours like this with a pinch of salt the size of Siberia, but susbsequent events do lend some credence to this one.

Maybe there was a hint of things not being entirely right in the coaching set up a few weeks ago when they brought Sean Long back. Our attack has improved beyond recognition since (although the return of Rangi may go some way to explaining that).

Replacing him with Iestyn Harris, though, is unexpectved to say the least. Only time will tell if this is a mess or a masterstroke.

Judging from Nobles talk on radio 5L, ' jobless' he doesn't look to be taking on any other job at Salford any time soon .

He seems far more comfortable being media friendly on radio & tv.

Done a great job establishing a decent set up at salford and helping recruit a reasonable set of guys with the Drs cash.

Now we just need to get someone to make them play as a team and Darrell Powell's not available. ?..

Nobbys success at the Bulls was built on a huge pack and huge backs, and a game plan of 5 tackles and kick trying to tire out the opposition, He hasn't been able to replicate that any clubs where he has coached since.

To be fair, Nobby did do pretty well at Celtic Crusaders with a small budget and a fair selection of Welsh players. He got them to the play-offs which was quite a feat.

While on the surface it does seem premature, there may be more to it than meets the eye. A few days ago, before any of this became known, someone - a Wigan fan, apparently - came on to the Salford subforum of RLFans to tell us he's heard "from a reliable source" (isn't it always?) that Nobby had lost the dressing room and would be replaced in the not too distant future. Normally, you take rumours like this with a pinch of salt the size of Siberia, but susbsequent events do lend some credence to this one.

Maybe there was a hint of things not being entirely right in the coaching set up a few weeks ago when they brought Sean Long back. Our attack has improved beyond recognition since (although the return of Rangi may go some way to explaining that).

Replacing him with Iestyn Harris, though, is unexpectved to say the least. Only time will tell if this is a mess or a masterstroke.

Well something had put a spring in the players' step between Friday and Thursday. Maybe the news had cheered them up.

If he's lost the dressing room and Marwan feels it's time for a change, I get that, bring someone new in, no problems. I don't know what the mood in the camp is and he does and he's the man providing the cash. But as he likes to go for big names that make a splash in the news and (hopefully) bring in more punters, Iestyn Harris does not come anywhere near fitting that bill. If anything, judging by the reaction on here, it's an underwhelming appointment and that was the point when I first posted, it just didn't seem like Dr K's cup of tea.

Here was a chance to spend a bit and not worry about the salary cap. I wouldn't expect Wayne Bennett to drop what he's doing and fly over to take the reins but I would've thought there was a bigger, more proven name out there if a change is to be made.

This isn't to knock Harris, I'll be hoping he can continue the decent start to the season by Nobby. Just seems an odd appointment.