Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eldujo

So who is the Salford coach?

79 posts in this topic

Nobbys success at the Bulls was built on a huge pack and huge backs, and a game plan of 5 tackles and kick trying to tire out the opposition, He hasn't been able to replicate that any clubs where he has coached since.

That doesn't sound like the team I watched, featuring Robbie and Henry Paul, Shontayne Hape, Tevita Vaikona and Lesley Vainikolo.

Just think how good players they could have been if Nobby hadn't had them spending half the game barging and the other half chasing kicks.

To be fair, Nobby did do pretty well at Celtic Crusaders with a small budget and a fair selection of Welsh players. He got them to the play-offs which was quite a feat.

He didn't do too badly at Wigan either.

What I don't get is Koukash is always banging the marquee signings drum yet signs up Iestyn Harris as coach. There is no salary cap on coaches, he could have head hunted a decent NRL coach if he didn't mind splashing out. Instead he goes downmarket.

Nobbys success at the Bulls was built on a huge pack and huge backs, and a game plan of 5 tackles and kick trying to tire out the opposition, He hasn't been able to replicate that any clubs where he has coached since.

didnt the Crusaders finish bottom the year before and after his year in charge when they just so happened to finish in the play offs? Sounds like a good coach to me.....

He didn't do too badly at Wigan either.

Aye, saves the club from the drop, rebuilt the club, brought youngsters through and then gets replaced by maguire who brings in a few short term aussies ( wasn't it because an aussie team cheated the cap they became available? ) and stole the glory!

What I don't get is Koukash is always banging the marquee signings drum yet signs up Iestyn Harris as coach. There is no salary cap on coaches, he could have head hunted a decent NRL coach if he didn't mind splashing out. Instead he goes downmarket.

nobby obviously agrees otherwise he wouldn't still be at the club? I dont think its as straightforward as the average total RL'er is making out. ...

Is he still at the club though? Dr. K only said he was "offered" the position upstairs. Hearing Nobby on Fighting Talk this morning, it implied that "offer" was not so politely declined.

Another kneejerk decision from Salford's increasingly erratic Chairman. I think Padge is right; he knows how to work the media and enjoys the spotlight it puts on him. Sadly, when he realises that Salford can no longer quench his thirst for personal publicity, he'll get bored and move on.

Those who defend him are having to to further and further-fetched lengths to find method in his madness. Harris will be a classic yes-man.

Really felt for Nobby listening to him talking to Chappers just then. The bloke was clearly very angry and upset.

Dr Marwen gets another 10 mins publicity at start of Challenge cup coverage on Beeb. Can't we kust get him onto celebrity big brother? That should quench his thirst.

It can't be good if chewie lewie is talking about taking legal advice.

I remain unconvinced by Koukash. The one solid, sensible thing he's done was appoint Noble.

Now he's sacked him. God knows why.

Pro-RL is a small world. I think he'll struggle to attract credible people to Salford if he carries on like this.

I think he'll struggle to attract credible people to Salford if he carries on like this.

He already is.  That's why Harris is the coach.

It can't be good if chewie lewie is talking about taking legal advice.

It seems a tad ungrateful to do that when he was given the job in Super League after a fairly lengthy exile.

I remain unconvinced by Koukash. The one solid, sensible thing he's done was appoint Noble.

I think he'll struggle to attract credible people to Salford if he carries on like this.

There didn't seem a long queue of other clubs pursuing Noble.

I seem to recall Wigan enjoyed a period of success since they and Noble parted company.Current double-holders at the moment.

Maguire and Wane give the appearance of being reasonably credible.

And they don't work for Salford do they?

It seems a tad ungrateful to do that when he was given the job in Super League after a fairly lengthy exile.

There didn't seem a long queue of other clubs pursuing Noble.

I seem to recall Wigan enjoyed a period of success since they and Noble parted company.Current double-holders at the moment.

We don't know the whole story as usual from the good doctor,maybe just maybe he hasn't treated Noble that well and that could be why he's seeking legal advice.

the legal advice will be to sort out the contract and how much the doc has to pay nobby probably.  unless there was a clause in there that stated the doc could replace him whenever he felt it.

I wouldn't want to be employed by Dr. Death, that's for sure! One day you have a job and steer your team to a win in a tricky cup tie...........12 hours later you're sacked???????????????????????????????

Many of the posters on here make much of Noble's past glory as a coach, but the style of rugby on display by Salford over the last 18 months hasn't been easy to watch.

Last season he has the excuse of a poor squad. This season he has allowed 2 youngsters with talent to go on loan without the option of recall. The defensive game for which he has always been held in high esteam has been poor in most games. The team has managed to only play for 40 mins in too many games. There has been no attack, results seem to go in our way because the team we are facing made poor calls (Cas)

Some of the signings he has made leave me as a fan wondering what he was thinking. I thought the Doc might have sacked him after Easter if performances didn't pick up but I think the Director of Rugby is a role ideally suited to Noble.

I'm not sure about Harris and it does seem to be a long contract under the circumstances (end of 2016). Long is back full time and I hope to see improvements in the shape of our attacks.

Perhaps the Doc should fire himself as in his view he made the wrong appointment in Brian Noble, let him bring in 14 new players and oversee pre season training. Just not good enough, Marwan.

Many of the posters on here make much of Noble's past glory as a coach, but the style of rugby on display by Salford over the last 18 months hasn't been easy to watch.

Last season he has the excuse of a poor squad. This season he has allowed 2 youngsters with talent to go on loan without the option of recall. The defensive game for which he has always been held in high esteam has been poor in most games. The team has managed to only play for 40 mins in too many games. There has been no attack, results seem to go in our way because the team we are facing made poor calls (Cas)

Some of the signings he has made leave me as a fan wondering what he was thinking. I thought the Doc might have sacked him after Easter if performances didn't pick up but I think the Director of Rugby is a role ideally suited to Noble.

I'm not sure about Harris and it does seem to be a long contract under the circumstances (end of 2016). Long is back full time and I hope to see improvements in the shape of our attacks.

From today's press conference it seems Marwan agrees entirely with what you're saying. The poor performance away at hull (and it was poor) looks like the straw that broke the camel's back, and even the much improved performance 6 days later in the cup match couldn't unbreak it.

They'd already been talking to Iestyn for a couple of weeks with a view to bring him in as assistant coach - so, presumably, Nobby was happy with this - but Marwan has decided to make him head coach and wants Nobby to take up the role of Director of Rugby. He insists this isn't a made up role, and has already identified some things he wants the Director to deal with. If Nobby doesn't accept the role, Marwan will fill it from elsewhere, possibly Australia.

We've gone from a situation of having a chairman/owner who was fiercely loyal to his staff - to the point of being sclerotic - to one who isn't going to die wondering. A real roller coaster ride, but I'm still enjoying it.

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but:

Check out what are ostensibly Mark Bryant's tweets from the 4th and 5th April. Not for the fainthearted.

https://twitter.com/markbryant81

What does it say?

Twitter blocked here