Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

Benji Marshall to the Red Devils?

99 posts in this topic

Benji to the ESL depends on what a club pays for him.

He will be infifnitely superirior to an up and coming junior in the short term....but in the mid to long term a club should have a succesion plan to ideally replace Marshall inside of year two.

Failing that, he is well capable of 'getting buy' like so many champion players with what's between his ears for several years more...even if the legs are tired.

If you had Chase and Marshall in one team...the solution is obvious.....you release chase for someone else.....Chase at his best is a poor mans Marshall.....Golden Boot World Cup NRL Grand final Dally M candidate.

A short term fix,Salford sent their best half back on a season long loan to Castleford.Maybe they should be looking at building for the long term,rather than the here and now.

you may be right but I often think that building for the long term also includes having experience and maybe ex very top class players that can still perform at a reasonable level that can help the building for the long term.  So maybe its seen as part of building for the long term in having a short term team that can better perform to bring youngsters and other signing into.

Mind you I tend to think it's more about  getting media attention than a serious proposal but good luck if it happens.

Was a class player 5-6 years ago, today he's a busted flush. Salford would be better served in the long run investing that money on junior teams in and around Manchester trying to unearth their own benji Marshall's.

I agree that junior development should be top of any clubs agenda. If Koukash can afford to pay Benji and develop players I think it would be good for the game around the Salford/Manchester region. Creating a higher profile and having a competitive team would give the club's junior development a massive boost.

Meh.. well past his best. Also what about Salford's quota?

If you look at the form of the Tigers in both England and Australia since their maverick half backs have left, I believe a set structure in the halves reap more benefit to a team.

Wish more people would understand this. Structure wins RL games, off the cuff play doesn't.

Wish more people would understand this. Structure wins RL games, off the cuff play doesn't.

I think that's too sweeping a statement. Jonathan Thurston certainly wins games with off-the-cuff play and Marshall did in his prime years. The key is to be able to play in a structured fashion when necessary, which is what Rangi Chase and the current version of Marshall don't seem to be able to do with any kind of regularity.

If Luke Walsh is the new Sterling and Bowen can score long distance tries in the SL, Benji would light up the competition like a great big fireworks display on a v dark night in a place with low air pollution.

I think that's too sweeping a statement. Jonathan Thurston certainly wins games with off-the-cuff play and Marshall did in his prime years. The key is to be able to play in a structured fashion when necessary, which is what Rangi Chase and the current version of Marshall don't seem to be able to do with any kind of regularity.

Everything Thurston does is within a structure. He runs with the ball generally has 3 options too pass to and will do whatever piece of skill to put one of them through a gap or for himself to break the line. Just because he does a fancy flick or a step doesn't mean that what he does hasn't got any structure to it, because his play is dictated by structure.

Chase and Marshall don't know what they are doing and neither do their team mates. They never have any consistent runners playing off them. Although the opposition don't know what they are going to do it's very easy to play against over the period of a game. They make one try with a piece of magic or whatever but in reality it never wins games on a consistent basis IMO. That's why Chase never worked playing for England.

Everything Thurston does is within a structure. He runs with the ball generally has 3 options too pass to and will do whatever piece of skill to put one of them through a gap or for himself to break the line. Just because he does a fancy flick or a step doesn't mean that what he does hasn't got any structure to it, because his play is dictated by structure.

Chase and Marshall don't know what they are doing and neither do their team mates. They never have any consistent runners playing off them. Although the opposition don't know what they are going to do it's very easy to play against over the period of a game. They make one try with a piece of magic or whatever but in reality it never wins games on a consistent basis IMO. That's why Chase never worked playing for England.

Spot on!

Smith is the more likely to be benched as he hasn't yet found himself. Another player without structure? great just what we need

I am surprised that no one has mentioned his amazing performances for NZ against Australia. Maybe no one needs to but he was/is one of my favourite players.

Great player in his day but having watched virtually all his matches from the past two seasons, I reckon he probably had a handful of good games and that might be being generous.

If true, and it probably isn't, would be a huge risk if Dr K were to bring him in on a big contract. The doctor might have money to burn but he hasn't got salary cap space to burn. If that's what the marquee player rule would be used for by Salford, let's not be hasty bringing it in.

Koukash won't be satisfied until he has brought a bonafide ' Marquee ' name  in to the club. if not this season , next

I  doubt it will be Marshall , but as usual the Koukash publicity machine is again in full swing both in the SL press & in Sydney - Auckland.

I  also find it incredible at only 29yrs old people are writing Benji off .(   golden boot  2010. 2011 Dally-M  Standoff , ) yeah I'd hate to see him play SL ....

Koukash won't be satisfied until he has brought a bonafide ' Marquee ' name  in to the club. if not this season , next

I  doubt it will be Marshall , but as usual the Koukash publicity machine is again in full swing both in the SL press & in Sydney - Auckland.

I  also find it incredible at only 29yrs old people are writing Benji off .(   golden boot  2010. 2011 Dally-M  Standoff , ) yeah I'd hate to see him play SL ....

I wouldn't write him off yet but if we're going to throw silly money around, I'd like it to be spent on a current bona fide star who is more of a sure thing.

Benji is coming off a bad period at Wests and what sounds like an unsuccessful go at RU. I'd be hoping to get him on the (relatively) cheap, not be throwing bags of cash at him.

For me, he's one of the most exciting players I've ever seen and when he's 'on', he was untouchable and mesmerised the best defences. But after watching two years of him being out of sync with the rest of his team, throwing wayward passes and showing great reluctance to take on the line, he isn't the player I'd build a team around. That's not to say he wouldn't be a great addition to SL but not on a huge salary. He either needs to regain some of his old magic or go the Lockyer route and be a great decision maker late on in his career.

I think he was looking at a million dollars per year when he left Wests. Not sure what that is in sterling but I think it's around £600,000. That's a big old gamble if that's what he's still looking for.

Koukash can't sign Marshall because of the salary cap and he knows it. It is just more publicity seeking nonsense from the dodgy egomaniac.

I thought Koukash had said he wanted to sign a top RU player after declaring war on RU after they signed Burgess. Does Marshall count as a top RU signing or would his signing be in addition to a top RU name?

Marshall would count as a top R U signing as he has shown he can play top class rugby before his semi retirement.

I thought Koukash had said he wanted to sign a top RU player after declaring war on RU after they signed Burgess. Does Marshall count as a top RU signing or would his signing be in addition to a top RU name?

I think Rugby league has led the way in terms of the two sport with youth development. They are light years apart and its only recently- say in the last 5 years that union has started to think about this

Wasting 600,000 a year on Marshall, may attract big news but the money is better placed investing in Youth development around Manchester Salford and that other hotbed Sale

I would rather these 'marquee' signings be someone like Slater, Inglis, Thurston however unlikely, than someone who was dreadful last season in the NRL. I don't think it sends a good message of the standard in SL, that someone who is unable to find an NRL club, would be far and away the best paid player in the competition. Koukash should be spending his money on building an academy and legacy at Salford, rather than publicity stunts. 

I think Rugby league has led the way in terms of the two sport with youth development. They are light years apart and its only recently- say in the last 5 years that union has started to think about this

Wasting 600,000 a year on Marshall, may attract big news but the money is better placed investing in Youth development around Manchester Salford and that other hotbed Sale

Sale my the way is a really small place......So I would be interested in seeing just how many Sale born players have hit the big time.......Im reckoning ZERO

I think that it is probably an accurate reflection of the current respective states of the NRL and SL that Marshall would be one of the best paid players over here. Bowen was released by the Cowboys and he'll be one of the competition's best players and top earners by the time he's through.

Sale my the way is a really small place......So I would be interested in seeing just how many Sale born players have hit the big time.......Im reckoning ZERO

I think Kallum Watkins is from Sale, he went to school there. Salford should look at promoting themselves and RL in places like Wythenshawe.

I think that it is probably an accurate reflection of the current respective states of the NRL and SL that Marshall would be one of the best paid players over here. Bowen was released by the Cowboys and he'll be one of the competition's best players and top earners by the time he's through.

Based on what? He's struggled since coming over here, I look forward to seeing him against the likes of Leeds and Saints. It works both ways anyway, a plodder like Luke Burgess is considered a superstar in the NRL. 

A move for Benji Marshall would bring the law of diminishing returns into play. He really wouldn't attract THAT many new followers to Salford, mainly because anyone in the city who has no idea about RL (which is most) have a clue who he is. Sonny Bill W would be a different proposition, of course.

Personally, if Dr K wants a quick fix and a return on investment in terms of bums on seats, he needs to do something completely leftfield like sign Johnny Wilkinson, Manu Tuilagi, or Chris Ashton. Anyone the upper-middles who populate MediaCity would get excited about.

Whoever that might be, it ain't Benji.

A move for Benji Marshall would bring the law of diminishing returns into play. He really wouldn't attract THAT many new followers to Salford, mainly because anyone in the city who has no idea about RL (which is most) have a clue who he is. Sonny Bill W would be a different proposition, of course.

Personally, if Dr K wants a quick fix and a return on investment in terms of bums on seats, he needs to do something completely leftfield like sign Johnny Wilkinson, Manu Tuilagi, or Chris Ashton. Anyone the upper-middles who populate MediaCity would get excited about.

Whoever that might be, it ain't Benji.

Wilkinson wouldn't suit RL IMO. The latter two would certainly turn heads though.

I would rather these 'marquee' signings be someone like Slater, Inglis, Thurston however unlikely, than someone who was dreadful last season in the NRL. I don't think it sends a good message of the standard in SL, that someone who is unable to find an NRL club, would be far and away the best paid player in the competition. Koukash should be spending his money on building an academy and legacy at Salford, rather than publicity stunts. 

Slater is contracted until the end of 2015 when he will be 32 and has no interest in leaving Melbourne Storm and will go on the staff when he retires. Thurston just signed a 4 year deal til end of 2017 when he will be 33 and said its his last contract. Inglis is also on a deal til the end of 2017. Most of the top players in the NRL are on long term deals. No SL club will sign a current Kangeroo.