Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

Benji Marshall to the Red Devils?

99 posts in this topic

Sale my the way is a really small place......So I would be interested in seeing just how many Sale born players have hit the big time.......Im reckoning ZERO

It's roundabout the same size as Widnes I'd say. Couldn't tell you who they'd developed though as I've never followed the sport. Considering there's not another pro-club for miles around, I expect they'd have had a couple come through the ranks though.

Based on what? He's struggled since coming over here, I look forward to seeing him against the likes of Leeds and Saints. It works both ways anyway, a plodder like Luke Burgess is considered a superstar in the NRL. 

Luke Burgess is only considered a star in so much that he's one of the Burgess quartet. Sam and George are the stars, He's a decent, steady player and fills the same role as he did at Leeds. Sometimes in the first XVII, sometimes not.

Wilkinson wouldn't suit RL IMO. The latter two would certainly turn heads though.

I completely agree (though he'd make a lot of territory with the boot). But he would certainly be an off-field success with marketing the team. And for a nice house in rural Cheshire, he might even make the switch!

Slater is contracted until the end of 2015 when he will be 32 and has no interest in leaving Melbourne Storm and will go on the staff when he retires. Thurston just signed a 4 year deal til end of 2017 when he will be 33 and said its his last contract. Inglis is also on a deal til the end of 2017. Most of the top players in the NRL are on long term deals. No SL club will sign a current Kangeroo. 

I did say it would be unlikely lol, but I'm mainly saying a top NRL player in their prime, rather than past it. Salford should go for Semi Radradra as he's off contract next year. 

A move for Benji Marshall would bring the law of diminishing returns into play. He really wouldn't attract THAT many new followers to Salford, mainly because anyone in the city who has no idea about RL (which is most) have a clue who he is. Sonny Bill W would be a different proposition, of course.

Personally, if Dr K wants a quick fix and a return on investment in terms of bums on seats, he needs to do something completely leftfield like sign Johnny Wilkinson, Manu Tuilagi, or Chris Ashton. Anyone the upper-middles who populate MediaCity would get excited about.

Whoever that might be, it ain't Benji.

Yes, I completely agree. I'm of the opinion that we should only go after Union players if they are young and would improve over the years or if they are very high profile. Honestly I think we (London) should go after Jonny Wilkinson or Danny Cipriani. Yeah they might not be good at RL, but the amount of coverage they will bring to the team, both locally and nationally, would be huge. Look at the amount of coverage Gareth Thomas brought to Crusaders. 

I did say it would be unlikely lol, but I'm mainly saying a top NRL player in their prime, rather than past it. Salford should go for Semi Radradra as he's off contract next year. 

He may not be a big name to bring the punters flocking but big Semi has cult figure written all over him if he could be brought over. To quote Stevo, 'he's having a wow of a season'.

Parramatta are finally getting themselves up off the mat with players like Semi, you Red Devils fans keep ya hands to yourself.

He's going to be our cult hero.

I completely agree (though he'd make a lot of territory with the boot). But he would certainly be an off-field success with marketing the team. And for a nice house in rural Cheshire, he might even make the switch!

He's retired.

Wish more people would understand this. Structure wins RL games, off the cuff play doesn't.

rangi chase won cas plenty of games with absolutely no structure just off the cuff so thats not entirely true.

So did Steve Redgrave. Several times.

I don't think Redgrave had as many injury problems as Wilkinson. Plus it would be like Redgrave "having a go" at canoeing rather than returning to the sport that he was pretty good at.

I don't think Redgrave had as many injury problems as Wilkinson. Plus it would be like Redgrave "having a go" at canoeing rather than returning to the sport that he was pretty good at.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. I'm just making a point about who'll put more ***** on chairs at Salford for similar outlay. To do so means getting a name most people in the area who haven't been to an RL match before will have heard of (which means, erm, pretty much every current RL player except SBW).

I'm afraid (and loathe to labour the point because it sticks in my throat) that to get more people through the turnstiles, Marwan is going to have to raid "the other place". Benji Marshall won't have them ticking over, but someone like George North, Manu Tuilagi, or even Gavin Henson (perish the thought) would. Big stylee.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. I'm just making a point about who'll put more ***** on chairs at Salford for similar outlay. To do so means getting a name most people in the area who haven't been to an RL match before will have heard of (which means, erm, pretty much every current RL player except SBW).

I'm afraid (and loathe to labour the point because it sticks in my throat) that to get more people through the turnstiles, Marwan is going to have to raid "the other place". Benji Marshall won't have them ticking over, but someone like George North, Manu Tuilagi, or even Gavin Henson (perish the thought) would. Big stylee.

Spent force. North would be good though.

Steve Redgrave.  Now that would get bums on seats.  Him and Dwaine Chambers.

Steve Redgrave.  Now that would get bums on seats.  Him and Dwaine Chambers.

If that Ferres tackle doesn't result in much of a ban, maybe raid WWE for the Undertaker to show him what a proper piledriver looks like in time for Good Friday.

Not sure about Dwaine Chambers but I'd take Edrick Lee from Canberra who has stole his haircut.

Agree these guys would generate a big interest initially but with none of them being familiar with the nuances of playing RL I can't see them suddenly turning Salford into a winning side. Watching Tuilagi or North losing every week in a Salford side would soon lose it's novelty and the crowds would drop off and would be followed by a lot of negative press.

In the good old days when RU was developing lots of fantastic juniors and RL was signing these guys (mostly from Wales) to strengthen their squads it still took a long(ish) time for them to adjust to playing RL. Koukash signing a big name RU player is not going to be a quick fix but simply a short term novelty.

would be followed by a lot of negative press.

You know there's an old saying about publicity. ;)

rangi chase won cas plenty of games with absolutely no structure just off the cuff so thats not entirely true.

They never consistently won RL games. It works at lower levels but it never will at the very top of RL.

A short term fix,Salford sent their best half back on a season long loan to Castleford.Maybe they should be looking at building for the long term,rather than the here and now.

That bit in bold is just plain silly and undermines any credibility this post might have had.

That bit in bold is just plain silly and undermines any credibility this post might have had.

Look, he's been out there and done it, got his coaching badges. He's not an armchair coach. He knows what he's on about!

Look, he's been out there and done it, got his coaching badges. He's not an armchair coach. He knows what he's on about!

I thought you had more about you than to stoop to snide comments.Obviously not.

If you say so.Would you say Sneyd has performed better than Smith or Chase this season?

I thought you had more about you than to stoop to snide comments.Obviously not.

We can all be snide at times. Let's not pretend otherwise.

If you say so.Would you say Sneyd has performed better than Smith or Chase this season?

It's a difficult comparison to make because, as I'm sure you're aware, Rangi has only made three appearances so far (discounting the first game of the season, where he limped off after about 15 minutes). His first game back after injury was against Castleford, where he was up against Marc Sneyd and was - by some considerable distance - the best half back on the field.

I hope Marc returns to Salford as I suspect he might do a better job than Tim Smith (on current form, anyway), but to suggest he's Salford's best half back is, from the limited evidence we have so far, well wide of the mark.