Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Scott

Brett Ferres incident

123 posts in this topic

There's a lot of Saints fans shrieking about this on Twitter and other places for no other reason but deflecting the other events at the Galpharm.

You mean the bit about us winning?

If we are 'shrieking' on Twitter it will be because our player who has already suffered serious head injury in a rugby game involving time spent in intensive care and the removal of parts of his skull was tipped on to his head during the match.  That'll be why.

I thought it was unlucky but pretty innocent. I'm prepared to concede a red card but I think that's harsh. Given the card, he's clearly facing a ban but eight matches would be utterly ridiculous.

There's a lot of Saints fans shrieking about this on Twitter and other places for no other reason but deflecting the other events at the Galpharm.

The tackle was disgusting and should be outlawed. Eight games for whoever the perpetrator is justified. Lomax is a lucky lad, he could have been permanently damaged by this physical assault. I like Ferres, he's a good player but hopefully he will have learned from this moment of recklessness.

The tackle was disgusting and should be outlawed. Eight games for whoever the perpetrator is justified. Lomax is a

Lucky boy?

Angel?

Badger?

I like this does the winner get a prize.

Given what has recently happened in the NRL the game as a whole need to look at players tackling techniques. They are being 'coached' to use wrestling technicques, and many of these are designed to put massive pressure on an opponents body or to put them into dangerous positions.

I'm sure Ferres never went into the tackle with the intention of picking Lomax up and driving head first into the ground, but he did. This happens in plenty of tackles but usually there's 2-3 other players in the tackle and in these instances its easier to manage how they put the opposition player down. 9 times out of 10 they are put down safely on their backs with no harm done. This time Ferres was on his own and the onus is completely on him to ensure he doesn't put the opposition player into a dangerous position.

I've given up trying to second guess the disciplinary these days as they're so inconsistent but I do feel that Ferres may be in for a lengthy ban.

I thought it was unlucky but pretty innocent. I'm prepared to concede a red card but I think that's harsh. Given the card, he's clearly facing a ban but eight matches would be utterly ridiculous.

Are you serious?

It was a horrific tackle and in my time I've seen first hand such tackles result in neck injuries and broken collarbones. It was luck or more accurately the absence of bad luck that saved Lomax from serious life changing injury. If that tackle happened again next week and the attacking player ended up paralysed you would not be surprised.

It's a game wide issue and the RFL should start by banning Ferres for 8 to 10 games and then be consistent with that level of punishment for future incidents.

It has nothing to do with deflecting attention from a 50/50 call on Broughs Drop Goal

Lucky boy?

Angel?

Badger?

I like this does the winner get a prize.

yep, a night on the tiles with Brett !

Innocent????

post-29972-0-35859700-1396861169_thumb.jpg

horrible tackle and previous good conduct no defence 

red card totally justified and so would be a 6-8 match ban 
RFL should now bring an instruction banning a lift in tackles , they arent needed and serve no purpose , if the defender has enough strength and control over an attacker that he is able to man handle him into a lift, then he isnt going anyweare and tackle is complete

Unlucky for Ferres that there weren't two more defenders in the tackle. They'd have all escaped with a caution.

There were two involved, with Kopczak also having a lesser part in the tackle. It was an awful tackle,  - end of, and one of the very rare cases of a true 'spear tackle' where the head is actually driven into the ground. In mitigation, and it's difficult to find much, I don't think Ferres is a "dirty" player and whilst he clearly got carried away by the adrenalin I can't believe what actually transpired was deliberate.

There were two involved, with Kopczak also having a lesser part in the tackle. It was an awful tackle,  - end of, and one of the very rare cases of a true 'spear tackle' where the head is actually driven into the ground. In mitigation, and it's difficult to find much, I don't think Ferres is a "dirty" player and whilst he clearly got carried away by the adrenalin I can't believe what actually transpired was deliberate.

I'd have to agree with that, and Nathan Brown said as much in his post match comments, while also urging the match-review committee to take his good track record into account.

I'd still like to see a hard stance taken against this though, not out of any spite or hard feeling towards Ferres, but because challenges of this nature simply can't continue to exist in the game.

the elima tackle against hull this season was far worse for me because elima deliberately tried to injure herremaia 

the elima tackle against hull this season was far worse for me because elima deliberately tried to injure herremaia 

Was that the one where he twisted his ankle in tackle? Elima is a jerk.

That was utterly disgraceful, but the worst that could have happened as a result was a compound leg fracture for Heremaia. While that's bad enough, it doesn't compare to a lifetime in a wheelchair.

Yes and no on that for me. Worse because of the intent but also not as a potential broken ankle is one thing, a potential broken neck is whole lot more serious. 

I don't believe for one moment that Ferres intended to cause serious injury to an opponent but the way he lifted and turned Lomax looked deliberate to me.

I don't know why but i was sure Viking Warrior will be writing about a Frenchlad. I think that if it was Elima putting down a Widnes player like Ferres did, you'd be saying that he's the grubbiest player on earth and should be banned forever.

But meh, this is a Saints getting his head crushed down, that's innocent and not so bad!

I don't know why but i was sure Viking Warrior will be writing about a Frenchlad. I think that if it was Elima putting down a Widnes player like Ferres did, you'd be saying that he's the grubbiest player on earth and should be banned forever.

But meh, this is a Saints getting his head crushed down, that's innocent and not so bad!

Viking Warrior doesn't like Saints either! 

I've seen that. Guy hating on Catalans and Saints whenever he can... Poor lad.

Ferris is not a malicious player, but he is responsible for his technique, He deserves a ban , and he will get one, How long he gets is just a pure Lottery, If he takes the bit of Vidio along showing the Whiting tackle he may get  a very short one.  Whatever he gets he has to live with it along with the knowledge he almost certainly cost the Giants the game, The Benson nonesence would not have been relevant, because the Giants were well in controll.

As i have said on here before It's only a matter of time before someone gets a serious injury and brings a case to trial, Much better to come down hard before that happens, Lets just make sure it's across the board, What's good enough for Lomax is good enough for whiting "as it were ". 

Ferris is not a malicious player, but he is responsible for his technique, He deserves a ban , and he will get one, How long he gets is just a pure Lottery, If he takes the bit of Vidio along showing the Whiting tackle he may get  a very short one.  Whatever he gets he has to live with it along with the knowledge he almost certainly cost the Giants the game, The Benson nonesence would not have been relevant, because the Giants were well in controll.

As i have said on here before It's only a matter of time before someone gets a serious injury and brings a case to trial, Much better to come down hard before that happens, Lets just make sure it's across the board, What's good enough for Lomax is good enough for whiting "as it were ". 

I'm not sure why people are bringing the Whiting one into this, they were completely different types of tackles, although they both obviously have the danger of the player landing dangerously on their head/neck.

It is easy to see why the RFL didn't punish the players in the Whiting one, I think there were other factors in that tackle, but unfortunately Ferres doesn't really have any defence as it was a 1 man tackle. Will be interesting to see whether he gets charged for a spear tackle as opposed to dangerous throw, as a spear tackle has a a punishment of 4+ games.

It is easy to see why the RFL didn't punish the players in the Whiting one, I think there were other factors in that tackle, but unfortunately Ferres doesn't really have any defence as it was a 1 man tackle. Will be interesting to see whether he gets charged for a spear tackle as opposed to dangerous throw, as a spear tackle has a a punishment of 4+ games.

I won tickets to the match on Saturday which meant I was sitting in with the Giants fans (and at the end of the game I zipped up my coat and slunk out quietly!!).  Therefore, I was at the best side of the pitch, towards the away end, to see the Ferres tackle.  I have also subsequently watched it back on TV.  I think it came under dangerous throw rather than spear.  I didn't see any actual drive into the ground.  Ferres appeared to flip Lomax over rather than drive him down. 

Ferres came close on two other occasions during the match to doing the same kind of thing.  He seems to have a tendency to lift the legs and needs to address it before he causes someone a serious injury. 

I think Saints fans are particularly upset in this instance because of Lomax's history of rugby induced head injury.

That must have been a tough post to write so soon after such a controversial defeat but good effort for writing it.

I would agree that it is Ferres rather than Bentham who spoiled it for Huddersfield.  You were well in control up to the moment of his sending off.

I also think that Brough did you no favours either.  He may well receive some discipline himself for what he called the referee at the end, and nobody needed to have expertise in lip reading to know exactly what he said.

I won tickets to the match on Saturday which meant I was sitting in with the Giants fans (and at the end of the game I zipped up my coat and slunk out quietly!!).  Therefore, I was at the best side of the pitch, towards the away end, to see the Ferres tackle.  I have also subsequently watched it back on TV.  I think it came under dangerous throw rather than spear.  I didn't see any actual drive into the ground.  Ferres appeared to flip Lomax over rather than drive him down. 

Ferres came close on two other occasions during the match to doing the same kind of thing.  He seems to have a tendency to lift the legs and needs to address it before he causes someone a serious injury. 

I think Saints fans are particularly upset in this instance because of Lomax's history of rugby induced head injury.

I'd sway towards it being a spear tackle tbh. Once he has Lomax in a dangerous position, he doesn't let go or make any attempt to lower him gently, he actually drops his own body down in a wrestling move so actually does drive Lomax into the ground with the force of Ferres' weight behind him, around 16-17 stone I'd expect?

Definite spear, to me. In fact it was a 'classic' spear with the head pointing down and dropping onto the ground. When people [maybe people on boards, rather than the authorities] regard just lifting the legs above horizontal as a 'spear', it seems more than a little dubious to argue that the Ferres tackle wasn't one.

That must have been a tough post to write so soon after such a controversial defeat but good effort for writing it.

I would agree that it is Ferres rather than Bentham who spoiled it for Huddersfield.  You were well in control up to the moment of his sending off.

I also think that Brough did you no favours either.  He may well receive some discipline himself for what he called the referee at the end, and nobody needed to have expertise in lip reading to know exactly what he said.

You may be right about Brough who knows, What i do know is what you see is what you get with him, and if you are honest you will know that a great number of players do it, I'm not condoning it in any way, but for those who it offends particularly, I would say they either never watched Murphy play , or they were prepared to ignore it from him because they liked him, and that applies to many players.

Danny brough is just one of many, unfortunately he has not learned not to be so upfront about his disappointments, and for that reason he is  unpopular with many people, There was someone on here yesterday  wishing him ill because of the trolling that goes on ,on RL Fans , You can't do much about people like that.

He is not his own best friend True , But he doesn't deserve some of the vitterol spouted about him, any more that S Tomkins deserved the dross he used to get from Leeds fans. He is a good player, he has been excellent for the Giants and i somehow don't think what people say about him on here is going to spoil his Golf swing.

If he get's pulled then so be it ,he only has himself to blame,  But once again lets do it across the board.