Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Scott

Brett Ferres incident

123 posts in this topic

Yeah about right. What I would like to see though is for the RFL to come out and say they will be doubling all the tarriffs for tackles that put players in a dangerous position.

Ferries pleaded guilty,5 game ban and £300 fine.

Fair enough. 

Ferries pleaded guilty,5 game ban and £300 fine.

Probably fair. I watched the McKinnon tackle after recording the game and his reaction was probably one of the most unsettling things I've seen in my life hence why I said 8 games.

The RFL need to be consistent with this though.

Probably fair. I watched the McKinnon tackle after recording the game and his reaction was probably one of the most unsettling things I've seen in my life hence why I said 8 games.

The RFL need to be consistent with this though.

And there you have one of the main problems with League, I have no problem with the  ban, Lets just see if they keep it going across the board.

Been away and saw the tackle for the first time tonight. Read all the hyperbole first of course...

Very surprised at the tackle considering what I'd seen on here, I was expecting something close to a Tim Street style pole axing.

Looked like Ferres got himself all mixed about face and ended up planting Lomax whilst falling backwards. No intent, no malice,he probably can't explain it properly himself. Hand up, take what's given and end of.

you can only be consistent if you have two exact situations , most arent hence the guidelines for min and max games ban for different charges

People saying that it wasn't a send off are deluded. IMO it was worse than the McKinnon tackle as Ferres actually drove Lomax head first into the ground. McKinnon's was more a result of an unfortunate circumstance.

I think Brett Ferres and the Giants reaction said it all too. No arguing, no questioning, nothing. He just jogged off with his head down knowing he'd let his team mates down.

I love Ferres as a player too and think he's probably the best English second row we have at the moment and I know he's not a dirty player for a second but that tackle was inexcusable.

Is the fine not a joke? How much would a player like ferres be on?

Back in time for the Magic Weekend vs Bradford.

Therefore, FARCE!

:biggrin:

Is the fine not a joke? How much would a player like ferres be on?

I think the fine is just a standard sum since everyone is fined the same regardless of ban. 

Been away and saw the tackle for the first time tonight. Read all the hyperbole first of course...

Very surprised at the tackle considering what I'd seen on here, I was expecting something close to a Tim Street style pole axing.

Looked like Ferres got himself all mixed about face and ended up planting Lomax whilst falling backwards. No intent, no malice,he probably can't explain it properly himself. Hand up, take what's given and end of.

You're missing the point.  Malice or not was irrelevant.  He was charged with a dangerous throw, not a malicious throw.  And it was a dangerous throw.  Er, end of.

I think 5 matches is pretty lenient to be honest. He didn't at any point in the tackle try to pull out and it was extremely dangerous. Lomax was lucky to come out of that with no injuries.

Ferres has taken to Twitter to publically apologise to Lomax for the tackle, and to his team mates, club staff and fans for undermining their chances in the match by being sent off.

Fair play to him.

Was definitely a red. I'd have put it as reckless rather than dangerous (though that's my interpretation of the meanings of the words rather than any basis in the definitions).

I also wouldn't say he drove Lomax into the ground, that seemed to be gravity that did that (ie, once he'd ended up in that position, Ferres couldn't keep him held up)

The ban seems fair.

Was definitely a red. I'd have put it as reckless rather than dangerous (though that's my interpretation of the meanings of the words rather than any basis in the definitions).

I also wouldn't say he drove Lomax into the ground, that seemed to be gravity that did that (ie, once he'd ended up in that position, Ferres couldn't keep him held up)

The ban seems fair.

Saying that, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a reckless tackle (other that for a high tackle), so dangerous it is

The ban seems fair.

I think by not letting go of Lomax suggests the element of driving him into the ground. Often when oplayers are lifted once they go into a dangerous position the tackler will let go or try and lower them - Ferres didn't do this and kept tight hold and it looked to me he let himself fall to bring Lomax down. That was dangerous imho.

Irrespective of whether Ferres got himself all mixed up the tackle was an extremely dangerous one and the ban, if not punishment, should at least serve as a catalyst for Ferres to sort his tackling style out and as a warning to other players.

Disciplinary reasons:

The tribunal note that the player accepts his culpability in this matter and has pleaded guilty. The tribunal feel this is a lift from the start with the player having a grip around the opponents chest. It is accepted there was no deliberate intention by the tackling player to cause injury to the opponent. The tribunal have been impressed by the submissions made by the player and his coach and their concern for the welfare of the opponent in these circumstances. The tribunal also note the player has a disciplinary record of two similar lifting offences in 2012 but in his favour he has not been involved in any incidents of a similar nature for 18 months. The player was dismissed from the field of play. This was an additional penalty for the player and also subsequently for the club who did not progress in the competition. In deciding the appropriate sanction the tribunal take into account the players guilty plea and his genuine remorse shown. However as this type of tackle has the potential for serious injury this tribunal feel that a 5 match suspension and a £300 fine are appropriate

Not the best description tbh, they are often better.

People saying that it wasn't a send off are deluded. IMO it was worse than the McKinnon tackle as Ferres actually drove Lomax head first into the ground. McKinnon's was more a result of an unfortunate circumstance.

I think Brett Ferres and the Giants reaction said it all too. No arguing, no questioning, nothing. He just jogged off with his head down knowing he'd let his team mates down.

I love Ferres as a player too and think he's probably the 2nd best English second row we have at the moment and I know he's not a dirty player for a second but that tackle was inexcusable.

Having watched both incidents I totally agree with your comments Harrigan............but have had to edit your final point as, in its original form, this may have lead the reader to believe that Mr B Ferres may actually be superior to Mr B Westwood in the art of Second Rowing.  ;)

I think by not letting go of Lomax suggests the element of driving him into the ground. Often when oplayers are lifted once they go into a dangerous position the tackler will let go or try and lower them - Ferres didn't do this and kept tight hold and it looked to me he let himself fall to bring Lomax down. That was dangerous imho.

I would have thought it would be worse to actually drop him though. Then there's absolutely no semblance of being able to control it (successful or otherwise)

Irrespective of whether Ferres got himself all mixed up the tackle was an extremely dangerous one and the ban, if not punishment, should at least serve as a catalyst for Ferres to sort his tackling style out and as a warning to other players.

Agreed. Though to be fair, he's been cited for this type of tackle in the past and has mostly cut it out of his game (as far as his disciplinary record shows, anyway)

You're missing the point.  Malice or not was irrelevant.  He was charged with a dangerous throw, not a malicious throw.  And it was a dangerous throw.  Er, end of.

I'm not missing any point. The factual content of the tackle is relevant to the judgement and starting point of the punishment. This can be adjusted according to circumstantial evidence eg perceived intent.

Malice, intent etc are relevant to this discussion and the reaction to the tackle on this forum.

It was a bad one for sure, and I think we can read a lot into how Ferres reacted to it both immediately afterwards and in the disciplinary process. Thank goodness Lomax is ok.

Agreed.