Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Sean O'Loughlin v Paul Sculthorpe - which one was better?

69 posts in this topic

Both would have succeeded downunder. Neither played in the best league in the sport. If only.

The Yorkshire Sunday league?

Sculthorpe was a much better player, but SOL a much more honest one. I'd have SOL in a Bulls shirt before Sculthorpe.

What does that even mean, more honest?

For me it's sculthorpe by a distance. O'loughlin is a very good player,very solid and rarely let's his team down. But he's quite "functional" when compared to sculthorpe.

For me it's sculthorpe by a distance. O'loughlin is a very good player,very solid and rarely let's his team down. But he's quite "functional" when compared to sculthorpe.

Well Scully did try and hide from the referee after giving Mark O'Meley a bit of a pasting in the 2004 Three Nations :)

I'm guessing that's probably not what was meant by that post though...

Now, you'd be truly insane to disagree with that. The best of the best. Hanley, then daylight.

Karalius?

Now, you'd be truly insane to disagree with that. The best of the best. Hanley, then daylight.

Yep. I'd also add that people forget, or are too young to know, what a great loose forward Phil Clarke was. If his career hadn't been ended at just 24 by injury I reckon he'd have gone on to outshine both of the subjects of this thread.

Yep. I'd also add that people forget, or are too young to know, what a great loose forward Phil Clarke was. If his career hadn't been ended at just 24 by injury I reckon he'd have gone on to outshine both of the subjects of this thread.

was he really so young when he retired?

was he really so young when he retired?

Yes he was 24 when he got his neck injury, was a real shame.

When discussing Britains best over the last 30 years or so the no 13 position stands out against all the rest.

Sculthorpe the more skillful player i would say, with the ability to do something special to change a game. SOL i would say is more comparable to K Sinfield, both very good players  whose influence on their team could be their best quality, Farrell is another i would put in that bracket.

Too long since the Wild Bull played to compare him, it was a complete different set of skills,

What was the question again, who do you support Wigan or Saints was it?

I don't support or favour either over the other

What was the question again, who do you support Wigan or Saints was it?

It seems to be whether you support Wigan or whether you support anyone else.

It seems to be whether you support Wigan or whether you support anyone else.

No, it doesn't.

I like the idea of loose forward death match. Lockers beats Langley, but how would Reilly fare against Knocker? Price versus Pearce? We've seen some greats.

andy farrell or vinty karalius 

No, it doesn't.

I like the idea of loose forward death match. Lockers beats Langley, but how would Reilly fare against Knocker? Price versus Pearce? We've seen some greats.

The non Saints or Wigan fans have overwhelmingly gone for Sculthorpe, so it is Wigan vs Everyone really.

I guess what I mean is that Sculthorpe was a niggler, an aggravator, always pushing the rules, trying to influence the referee, sneaky trouble casuer, a bit like Graham Bradley for us. In many ways I sometimes thought that the behaviour of some of the players in that great Saints side was nearer to soccer than RL.

SOL is a lesser player than Sculthorpe was, but I prefer his attitude. The OP question wasn't who was the best player. If it was then I don't think there would be much of a debate.

I guess what I mean is that Sculthorpe was a niggler, an aggravator, always pushing the rules, trying to influence the referee, sneaky trouble casuer, a bit like Graham Bradley for us. In many ways I sometimes thought that the behaviour of some of the players in that great Saints side was nearer to soccer than RL.

SOL is a lesser player than Sculthorpe was, but I prefer his attitude. The OP question wasn't who was the best player. If it was then I don't think there would be much of a debate.

I liked that part of his game tbh. He was the sort of player that you love when he's playing for you and hate when he's playing against you.

I liked that part of his game tbh. He was the sort of player that you love when he's playing for you and hate when he's playing against you.

Absolutely. See James Lowes for details...