Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott

Sheffield game!

162 posts in this topic

Queer set up isn't it ? And Burke was at Bradford but got injured !

I don't think we should panic over who Wigan send to us.we haven't won any games with a team full of them so it's hard to say if we're better off with or without them.

Personnel has only been half our issue at best for a fair while .Good players give you better expectations and chances of course ,but there are structural things which we see over and over again - like consistency in games , errors and ill discipline , game management and cutting edge which shackle us to often whoever is playing . These are the things the coach is trying to smooth out to at least a level where you give yourself a fair shot week in week out . Playing the opposition alone is hard enough in this league . Other sides we see have inferior or similar personnel but get home with a tidier , more clinical and well drilled game .This is the culture PV is trying to bring from what he says . Good execution as much as good teamsheet . We compete with anyone in our good spells , but turning those into a good game tests our coaches .

I don't think we should panic over who Wigan send to us.we haven't won any games with a team full of them so it's hard to say if we're better off with or without them.

I know of 3 games we've won by having 3 or 4 Wigan players in the side this season!

2014 Wigan Warriors First Team Squad

Just an academic exercise:

Props in the Wigan 19 Man Squad

8 Scott Taylor

16 Gil Dudson

22 Eddy Pettybourne

28 Jordan James

37 Ryan Sutton (Academy)

Other Props - thought to be fit but not named in the squad

10 Ben Flower - Rested

38 Ben Austin - (Academy)

17 Dom Crosby - not mentioned as rested, is he injured?

Thanks for the correction David, obviously one will be available in the cut plus Ben Austin if needed. I could never see us getting Dom Crosby.

I would settle for either of the two Academy lads, excellent prospects.

Eddy P is also in that squad . Four will do you'd think .

I know of 3 games we've won by having 3 or 4 Wigan players in the side this season!

My point is we're not exactly ripping up trees wether Wigan lads are in our squad or not. I know we need the props and tierney is a good edition. I just don't think we can say that we're going to win/lose on the basis of who we can get up

Have they definitely released Andy Powell ? He has a squad number. Murphy Hampshire Tierney seem three backs free

Have they definitely released Andy Powell ? He has a squad number. Murphy Hampshire Tierney seem three backs free

Released in January I think.

Wishful thinking I know, but I think Manfredi returns from Salford officially on Thursday.

Really surprised he is not in the 19 man Squad (for Charnley) unless they have extended his loan period.

The bottom line is that some of the Wigan lads are better than our own and some aren't. But what they need to be is better than the opposition are.

So can none of that 19 come on Sunday ... Even if they don't make the 17 . Is that it ?

Duel reg is that much of a farce any playing in the 1-17 could play for Workington as long as they don't play 40 mins in their game.

So if Wigan have a big lead by 39 minutes they can bring Bowen, Green & O loughlin off & then send them to you to play on the Sunday.

Have you  got some reason for posting that on our site dose,nt that apply to every team,surely it applys to your team as well.

Why are we bothering which DR's we get? As long as we get some of our own back on the pitch and fill in with DR's then we will give Sheffield a game. With the right attitude it is a game we can win, like we came so close last year. Up the Town.

Duel reg is that much of a farce any playing in the 1-17 could play for Workington as long as they don't play 40 mins in their game.

So if Wigan have a big lead by 39 minutes they can bring Bowen, Green & O loughlin off & then send them to you to play on the Sunday.

Thanks for the information and viewpoint, I thought the ruling in the RFL Operational Rules was simply:

The Player is not restricted to playing in one fixture per scheduled round of fixtures in any given week.

I wasn't aware of any game time restriction.

I am not sure about the value or committment of DR's but can only be a good thing the Wigan coaching staff putting our players through their paces.

Have you got some reason for posting that on our site dose,nt that apply to every team,surely it applys to your team as well.

Someone was asking a question to the ruling of duel reg & I thought I would elaborate on that rule. Not having a go at Workington as my own team have done it.

Thanks for the information and viewpoint, I thought the ruling in the RFL Operational Rules was simply:

The Player is not restricted to playing in one fixture per scheduled round of fixtures in any given week.

I wasn't aware of any game time restriction.

I found out about the 40 minute rule when hunslet were set to play clarkson but he was called up at the last minute. Then the club made a statement he would still be able to play as long as he didn't play 40 minutes. However he did so he was not eligible to play.

Good luck for Sunday against Sheffield. After seeing Brett carter throughout the years I feel his talent is limited on the wing. However I don't see him in action every week.

What a stupid bloody rule, that is farcical.

I can't really see that rule staying anything but hypothetical , can anyone else ? I'd be very interested to see if a SL club uses and extends an asset like that , and doubly surprised .

Thanks for the clarification MFBA, DR is sadly becoming a necessary crutch for many clubs this year and perhaps we will hate the future consequences come the 'Brave New World' next season.

Referring to Brett, I can only speak for myself in saying that Town is a much better team when players can simply play in their natural positions, regretfully quite a number of players this season have had to step up to the mark and play outside their comfort zones for the good of the club.

I liked that to town blue . We think of DR purely on the playing level , but there's much more to it . The coaching ,fitness and off field benefits could be just as valuable in the link. Good stuff

Nice squad put together by Sheffield, now used to playing on a tight pitch after their recent ground move:

6 Pat Walker. SO

From what little I've seen of him has a very effective long pass he likes to use. May give some opportunities for intercepts?

Ian Mcgregor getting his face on telly ... Match commissioner . They're you go !!!

The highlights of the Hunslet game are on YouTube and it had to be said our defence was very poor, we let in some very soft tries and were exposed a few times on our right flank. If we defend like that against Sheffield it'll be a long afternoon.