Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longboard

Widnes go for class

12 posts in this topic

Widnes have appointed Brett Hodgson as a full time coach starting next season. As a player he looked like he had the attributes to make a good coach. He has been doing some consultancy work at Widnes and other clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/26936909

The Chemics seem to be moving in the right direction and building as a club.

Looks like a good signing for the Vikings staff. You'd expect he has plenty to pass on and having won pretty much everything bar a SL grand final, should get plenty of respect from the players. I would've thought Warrington would have looked to keep him on at the end of last season but with Lee Briers retiring at the same time, maybe they didn't want two players going straight from the first team to the back room.

Talking of Briers, I could have sworn I saw him sat in the Sydney Roosters dugout at one of the games earlier in the season. Can anyone confirm that?

Looks like a good signing for the Vikings staff. You'd expect he has plenty to pass on and having won pretty much everything bar a SL grand final, should get plenty of respect from the players. I would've thought Warrington would have looked to keep him on at the end of last season but with Lee Briers retiring at the same time, maybe they didn't want two players going straight from the first team to the back room.

Talking of Briers, I could have sworn I saw him sat in the Sydney Roosters dugout at one of the games earlier in the season. Can anyone confirm that?

He did spend three weeks in Australia visiting NRL clubs and coaches. I know he spent time at Manly and Newcastle. Not sure about Sydney, though.

Things looking good for Widnes at present,but unless they can improve their fan base can,t seem them challenging the top 4 or 5 unless they get other substantial backing.

As a matter of interest is their support mainly local or do they attract numbers from other areas.

Although the Vikings are progressing well, there is a huge glass ceiling they have above their heads.

As a player he looked like he had the attributes to make a good coach.

Can you explain this?

It dont make sense

I walk my dog every night but it does'nt mean I'm a dog trainer

He did spend three weeks in Australia visiting NRL clubs and coaches. I know he spent time at Manly and Newcastle. Not sure about Sydney, though.

Cheers for jogging my memory. Thinking back, he was sat next to one of the two Stewart brothers so it was Manly.

Can you explain this?

It dont make sense

I walk my dog every night but it does'nt mean I'm a dog trainer

If a player is a good organiser, leads by example, rallies the troops when things are looking grim and is vocal, those could be seen as good attributes for being a coach. Doesn't mean he will be of course but you only find that out for sure by doing the job.

He's an intelligent player who has years of experience and always struck me as the kind of guy who would be an asset on the coaching side of the game.

Although the Vikings are progressing well, there is a huge glass ceiling they have above their heads.

Was it manufactured at Pilkingtons? :ph34r:

Back on topic- Brett Hodgson will be a brilliant addition to the Vikings. I'm upset that he isn't at the Wire but the comment on Briers staying on may have some weight. Total respect for Brett's courage and commitment plus his reading of the game is first class