Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greavesy

Missing supporters

64 posts in this topic

I have seen Muslims at the games. There are more white folk that don't goto games than there are Muslims in Batley. And what has Batley done to get them to come to games? - Nothing.

To me saying all people of Pakistani origin do/don't like/respect/understand something is racist. It's like saying all English people are football hooligans.

Let's face it too many of our own fans aren't very welcoming. I got my grandad (one that doesn't come very often) to come to the Cas game last week and a Batley fan made a comment that he was ###### off at "people call themself fans and only come to the odd game every year". Not very welcoming. He did enjoy the game and is coming again today. I think the comments got to me more than him. But with comments like that which are all too common when we get better crowds. Is it any wonder why we don't get new fans or even old fans return.

I'm a Fev fan but have never met such friendlier fans in general; So nothing wrong there;

Batley fans are very friendly towards opposition supporters. But when our own occasional supporters turn up for the odd game they don't get the same reception from our regular fans. That is my point.

Pakistanis dont respect/ uunderstand/ like rugby league so why would they have any time for little batley.

This old chestnut crops up annually on the forum, am I the only one bored of it, plus saqib murtaza was garbage

You might be bored with it, 9'oller, but people whose ethnic origin is Pakistan, Gujarat and Bangladesh are the fastest growing segment of Batley's' population, and if they cannot be enticed to support the Dogs then we will probably suffer long term decline.  It is reasonable to argue that we might struggle to attract such support, but nevertheless it remains a sensible topic for discussion on this forum.

Meanwhile, I guess that the best that the individual fan can do to attract support is to be welcoming to visitors to the Mount, bring a friend if we can and be positive to others in discussing games at the Mount.  Other ideas welcomed!

Look at post office road where featherstone play.

The adjoining streets of terraces will be brimmed with flat cappers. Leighs old ground was surrounded by corronation street'esque roads with a real sporting ccommunity.

The mount is merely in the wrong place at the wrong time

It wouldn't matter where the Mount was situated.Things are changing rapidly in population make up and are certainly not going to improve.

The argument about the location of the Mount would stand if it weren't for the number of Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield supporters jumping in their cars and leaving the town to go and watch SL clubs.

I don't think the area is the problem I think it's the dominance of close by SL clubs with all the glitz, advertising, TV and big names that come with them.

I'd be interested to see how the birth of SL affected our attendance figures. 

Anyone got access to such info?

The argument about the location of the Mount would stand if it weren't for the number of Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield supporters jumping in their cars and leaving the town to go and watch SL clubs.

I don't think the area is the problem I think it's the dominance of close by SL clubs with all the glitz, advertising, TV and big names that come with them.

I'd be interested to see how the birth of SL affected our attendance figures. 

Anyone got access to such info?

Of coarse the area is a problem all the houses surrounding our stadium house people who will never attend games fact. We are not talking hundreds there are thousands and as Batley becomes more and more muslim our attendances will continue to fall. That is not racist it is fact . What also is a problem is our ageing fan base we have very few young fans as you say they would rather go to watch super league on the TV or go to the occasional game. I worry for our club in the long term just look at the pathetic turnout on Sunday 650 . We will probably take more to tiprat stadium on Friday.

Of coarse the area is a problem all the houses surrounding our stadium house people who will never attend games fact. We are not talking hundreds there are thousands and as Batley becomes more and more muslim our attendances will continue to fall. That is not racist it is fact . What also is a problem is our ageing fan base we have very few young fans as you say they would rather go to watch super league on the TV or go to the occasional game. I worry for our club in the long term just look at the pathetic turnout on Sunday 650 . We will probably take more to tiprat stadium on Friday.

Come on greavesy - you know it's the lure of those mouth watering burgers that attract the dogs fans in numbers to the Tetleys - and of course the ground is  near the stable that was piggys birthplace (it has a plaque on the wall). ;) Hopefully it will be Rams in Fev match mode against dogs in Rochdale match mode, but if you include anybody in the side who can limp twenty yards at jogging pace you'll probably win. :(  

I will say again. What have we actually done to encourage people who live local to the mount to attend games. As far as I can tell we have done nothing. Just because its there doesnt mean people will attend. 99% of the batley fans who attend games now got into the game through family. Going to games with Parents/Grandparents. I am one of them. To be honest if it wasnt for them I would still be going to watch the Rhynos instead.

If it was up to me I would offer the local people free Season Tickets for 2015. They would have to sign up name and Address and would only be able to have a free season ticket once. Lets face it it wouldnt cost the club to do this and it could get people to the games who have never watched Rugby League (You've got to start somewhere). Any loyal fan who would not feel hard done to by having to still pay the £150 for their season ticket as they would be able to see the bigger picture. and hopefully the club would benefit with more paying fans in the following seasons.

This could even be done for the remainder of this Season?

I will say again. What have we actually done to encourage people who live local to the mount to attend games. As far as I can tell we have done nothing. Just because its there doesnt mean people will attend. 99% of the batley fans who attend games now got into the game through family. Going to games with Parents/Grandparents. I am one of them. To be honest if it wasnt for them I would still be going to watch the Rhynos instead.

If it was up to me I would offer the local people free Season Tickets for 2015. They would have to sign up name and Address and would only be able to have a free season ticket once. Lets face it it wouldnt cost the club to do this and it could get people to the games who have never watched Rugby League (You've got to start somewhere). Any loyal fan who would not feel hard done to by having to still pay the £150 for their season ticket as they would be able to see the bigger picture. and hopefully the club would benefit with more paying fans in the following seasons.

This could even be done for the remainder of this Season?

This is a joke isn't it?

You'd undermine the entire support base who actually pay to attend games to attract a few "locals"?

Why should I pay full whack because I don't live near the ground??

Maybe we should just let everyone in for free next season? It would be a wonderful Swansong before the club is consigned to the history books.

What would it cost to have a free game for everyone? Perhaps target one of the Cumbrian games and just open the gates (after bombarding the local are with leaflets and handouts at Tesco's and local press etc)

A nice sunny afternoon, bouncy castle for the kids. The extra food and beer sales would ofset some of the loss. I appreciate the season ticket holders wouldn't be happy but they would be helping their club. You could also have a donation gate where you can pay what you want to help .

I reckon on a poor crowd vs a cumbrian team we would get 600. knock off 250 season ticket holders that's 350. If they are a mix of consessions & adults that's around £4000K

Why not start a fund to raise money for a free open day and see what happens?

And now back to the real world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now back to the real world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: Sadly the real world is seeing a decent product being watched by fewer and fewer people Gary

What would it cost to have a free game for everyone? Perhaps target one of the Cumbrian games and just open the gates (after bombarding the local are with leaflets and handouts at Tesco's and local press etc)

A nice sunny afternoon, bouncy castle for the kids. The extra food and beer sales would ofset some of the loss. I appreciate the season ticket holders wouldn't be happy but they would be helping their club. You could also have a donation gate where you can pay what you want to help .

I reckon on a poor crowd vs a cumbrian team we would get 600. knock off 250 season ticket holders that's 350. If they are a mix of consessions & adults that's around £4000K

Why not start a fund to raise money for a free open day and see what happens?

Good idea PM, although I think £4M is just a bit more than a couple of year's turnover.

What's to lose by giving it a go?

:lol: Sadly the real world is seeing a decent product being watched by fewer and fewer people Gary

Thats sorta what i was getting at, nothing can change that, times move on and so do peoples priorities.

Umm.  Drastic but very thought provoking PM, especially with having a donation gate for those who want the club to survive.

You really think 1 free game will gain new fans? I think not.

I think my point was totally missed. It would seem there is no point trying anything to gain new supporters. On one hand people complain that locals don't come to the games. On the other you need to get them to at least half a season before they will begin to feel like it's their club. From then on you may gain some long term paying fans. It took 2 seasons before I started attending every game in a season and bought my first season ticket. But I guess we shouldn't try anything like that as those same fans who moan about the locals not coming to games would moan more if they were there.

Thats sorta what i was getting at, nothing can change that, times move on and so do peoples priorities.

Other sports (who charge more than double and triple the cost of a trip to the mount) don't seem to struggle getting the crowds in. There's always an excuse. It's easier to do nothing and make excuses or just complain about it.

Other sports (who charge more than double and triple the cost of a trip to the mount) don't seem to struggle getting the crowds in. There's always an excuse. It's easier to do nothing and make excuses or just complain about it.

And i wasn't even talking about cost yet you turn it into a cost thing, well done.

Other people have different priorities wether that includes going to watch the Giants or Rhinos, going to the coast, a day in the Lakes or a day at the dog track, it doesnt matter, what does matter is people choose to do something different with their time, end of.

Youre seriously not telling anybody anything which hasn't been discussed a thousand times before (and acted upon)

Spending up to £80 to take the wife and kids out to watch the Bulldogs isn't very high on many peoples list of priorities be they English born or of Asian background (Cricket is free)

why not put a sale sign up at the turnstyles that might attract the locals it works at tescos

People may not like this but my dad( rams fan)as said this for years now and iv only just started to sort of agree in away... Maybe in the long term dewsbury and batley may need to merge a club to survive??? No offence to batley but I can't see a good longterm future for you as opposed to the rams with the development and bigger crowds over the last few years despite relegation battles. You've been a top 5 club outside superleague for a while now and had some decent success yet you don't get the crowds you'd expect and deserve. If both clubs were merged or one sadly folded, they would be a bigger catchment area to attract supporters. Say one day in the future this did happen, do you think a combined successful club from the heavy woollen district would generate crowds of over 1k every week? I think it would easily. Rams have a hardcore 750, dogs around 550-600. If both merged that would give home crowds of 1300 every week minus away followings and this without been high flyers in the league as the 1300 would be loyal supporters. Put it this way, I reckon if both did merge and had ambitions of superleague maybe then wel start to see the crowds improve and gain them dewsbury and batley born giants bulls leeds fans to our matches. End of day it's a poor supported league and even likes of hull kr and wakey only got 1500 in our league before superleague.. Maybe the rugby league should look at poor crowds at our level instead of wasting thousands of pounds on other development clubs away from the rugby league corridor and help clubs to sort things out because you only have to look at crowds after fev Halifax and Leigh to see how poor the championship is supported. Hope this doesn't cause offence to any dews or batley fans but just an opinion on the long term future of both our clubs..