Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

Aussies at it again - wanting their cake and eating it!

131 posts in this topic

I know they're miniscule, but these countries are being given automatic entry to the WC, so I think it's unfair on other countries who don't qualify, if they're not doing any leg work. I think there's far too many Pacific teams in the WC if I'm honest and it should be cut down by two. 

To be honest that argument could be used for a few non-Pacific nations as well - Ireland springs to mind. Not sure we need to cut down on teams from the Pacific yet, but I am hoping we get a proper qualification tournament for 2017. 

To be honest that argument could be used for a few non-Pacific nations as well - Ireland springs to mind. Not sure we need to cut down on teams from the Pacific yet, but I am hoping we get a proper qualification tournament for 2017. 

Yeah, I agree about Ireland. I just think having half the teams from a 14 team WC from one area is a bit much, but yeah I'm hoping we see proper qualifying and regional qualifiers if possible. 

Whilst I agree that there are nations in the pacific that aren't pulling their weight, there is too much talent available for the half a dozen or so pacific nations to deny the majority of them a WC berth.

Would lessen the quality at a WC

Indeed, Fiji have made the semi finals in the last two World Cups. In each case a step too far, but still, we can hardly ban semi finalists.

Indeed, Fiji have made the semi finals in the last two World Cups. In each case a step too far, but still, we can hardly ban semi finalists.

Fiji and the Cook Islands are not the same country you know.

Fiji and the Cook Islands are not the same country you know.

1. I think I know that. Captain Cook was a Yorkie after all

2. The post was talking about banning Pacific island Nations. Both the Cooks and Fiji come under that banner. The Cooks beat Wales so they are hardly underperforming seeing as how the total population is around 20,000.

3. I don't know exactly what point you are making here.

I didn't say ban, I just said there's too many from one area in a 14 team competition. Yes, CIs beat Wales, but they were a team of Kiwis and Australians, not locals and they were the only nation not to pick any players born or developed in the country. It's nothing to do with the development work in the Cook Islands, which was my point to begin with.