Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeeValleyDragons

NRL or Super League? Which has the best standard of play?

76 posts in this topic

There has been some really good games - plenty of close games - but I just don't think there's been any really high quality games yet. There aren't many like that over the course of the season anyway, but I just think that there's been a lot of games that have been unduly affected by mistakes, injuries, penalties and even the weather.

I've been to a few NRL games, and I've never had a problem with the atmosphere. It's not the same kind of atmosphere you get in this country with the chanting and so on, but you still get a good atmosphere. Even the games I've seen at the ANZ were pretty good, especially the one where we were sat in with the Bulldogs fans. In fact the games I've been to with the worst atmosphere have probably been Internationals in this country (NZ v Aus at Warrington a couple of years back was one that springs to mind).

the problem there tho is that they are games at neutral venues. It is normal to get an exhibition feel at games with neutral crowds.

Ive only been to a couple of NRL games, but the atmosphere was flat as anything, although the Eels v Bulldogs game at anz wasnt helped by the massive stadium.

I find the atmosphere at some of the nrl games on tv comes across like the early magic weekend games.

NRL is the better standard without any doubt but some will say this professionalism leads to duller games. You're not likely to see a finish like Cas-Saints down under with the ball being tossed around from wing to wing, not that that you see anything like that often in SL either. Some might say that's down to SL teams being more entertaining whereas I'd lean towards NRL defences being a fair bit better so you wouldn't get away with it.

When all SL & NRL + Championship were on last year, I'd quite often enjoy the Championship game more than any of the other offerings so quality doesn't necessarily equal the best game. I'd still say I enjoy NRL the most though. I'd say this is down to it being more competitive than the other leagues with any team capable of beating anyone, particularly this year. There are still routs but they're not guaranteed, see Wigan-London or Leeds-Wakefield this week and compare to say Manly-Wests last week (2nd vs 2nd bottom last year) for NRL's unpredictability.

One of my pet hates from back when I had Sky and I presume they still do this. Whenever someone does something spectacular in a SL game, Eddie will start going on about how everybody would be raving about this play if it was an Aussie doing this. Not sure which people he was on about. I think we all know both leagues have hugely talented players capable of something special, it's just the NRL has more of them unfortunately.

ha I like the way you pretend not to have sky, let me guess a 'mate' watches it and fills you in lol

ha I like the way you pretend not to have sky, let me guess a 'mate' watches it and fills you in lol

I don't have sky, ditched it about 18 months ago for premier sports and a season ticket at salford. Why would I pretend to not have Sky?? Am I missing something here?

The OP Question was Which has the best standard of play?Not who has the best atmosphere.

I'm English born and bred,never been to Aus in my life and have no wish to in the future,but i've been loving ALL the games on Premier,even the so called dour games.

Remember the televised Wakey v Bradford earlier this season or any London game good god poor in talent and excitement.

What i will say though is that the NRL competition are lucky to have such a strong and long pool of players of Fiji/Samoan/Tonga etc islands to their Comp.Take thse away and Maybe the quality/entertainment value of the NRL would be greatly reduced.

The OP Question was Which has the best standard of play?Not who has the best atmosphere.

I'm English born and bred,never been to Aus in my life and have no wish to in the future,but i've been loving ALL the games on Premier,even the so called dour games.

Remember the televised Wakey v Bradford earlier this season or any London game good god poor in talent and excitement.

What i will say though is that the NRL competition are lucky to have such a strong and long pool of players of Fiji/Samoan/Tonga etc islands to their Comp.Take thse away and Maybe the quality/entertainment value of the NRL would be greatly reduced.

Most of those islanders were born in Oz or NZ, so I don't see why you'd single them out. The strength of the NRL is due to rugby league's popularity in Australia which gives it a big player pool, lots of money etc.

conversations develop. If we have to stick to threads so rigidly, perhaps this should just have been a poll with no comments allowed.

Ive only been to a couple of NRL games, but the atmosphere was flat as anything, although the Eels v Bulldogs game at anz wasnt helped by the massive stadium.

You're not talking about the 2009 Prelim Final then. What an atmosphere that was, helped massively by the size of ANZ.

You're not talking about the 2009 Prelim Final then. What an atmosphere that was, helped massively by the size of ANZ.

No it was a regular league game. There was still around 30k there and the fans were making a fair bit of noise, it was very enjoyable in person, but unfortunately it was completely lost in the stadium and when I saw some of it back on tv it looked poor.

It was far more enjoyable than the next day when I went to Manly to be honest, but I do think the challenge around stadium sizes is a difficult one in Australia.

Because it adds to the spectacle of when I'm watching the sport. The NRL may be more physical, but I find it more boring and prefer to watch SL, the style of play and the atmosphere/chanting being two of the main reasons. 

I haven't  watched any NRL games for years but recently decided to take the plunge into Premier Sports. I'm glad I did. Whilst watching so many NRL games highlights the fact that the Aussies are only human, and so, prone to the odd howler and 'unforced error', it also highlights the areas in which their game is so much superior to ours. This doesn't make our own Superleague any less of a spectacle though, just different! ............................................................................................and life without it would be unbearable.

PS. My missus prefers the NRL "Coz the blokes are hunkier". nuff said..................... :(

I like both.

Sorry...

But I do agree that there are too many NRL matches where the crowd rattles around in that huge stadium and not enough clubs making their home ground a feared fortress.

I like both.

Sorry...

But I do agree that there are too many NRL matches where the crowd rattles around in that huge stadium and not enough clubs making their home ground a feared fortress.

Both ANZ and Allianz look awful on TV with banks of empty seats. I'd love to see more games at the old suburban grounds like Leichardt, Belmore, Redfearn etc.

Sadly I doubt this will return as clubs are more concerned with chasing the dollar. They prefer the guaranteed money (regardless of crowd size) received for playing the games in these stadiums.

This leads to the crazy situation whereby the Western Sydney derby this weekend between Parramatta and Wests will be played at ANZ with all the inconvenience that causes the fans, and the crowd will probably be less than the capacity of Parramatta stadium.

Back on topic, I enjoy both leagues but would probably edge towards the NRL. Both leagues provide brilliant games but the teams are far more evenly matched in the NRL. People say that SL has a more attacking ethos but I'd disagree with that. The difference is the Aussies put a big emphasis on defence as well.

Sadly I doubt this will return as clubs are more concerned with chasing the dollar. They prefer the guaranteed money (regardless of crowd size) received for playing the games in these stadiums.

Can you explain this please.

Who pays?

Both ANZ and Allianz look awful on TV with banks of empty seats. I'd love to see more games at the old suburban grounds like Leichardt, Belmore, Redfearn etc.

This leads to the crazy situation whereby the Western Sydney derby this weekend between Parramatta and Wests will be played at ANZ with all the inconvenience that causes the fans, and the crowd will probably be less than the capacity of Parramatta stadium.

Back on topic, I enjoy both leagues but would probably edge towards the NRL. Both leagues provide brilliant games but the teams are far more evenly matched in the NRL. People say that SL has a more attacking ethos but I'd disagree with that. The difference is the Aussies put a big emphasis on defence as well.

Agree with this

Having just returned from Australia, the eperience of a game at a traditional ground was way better then a game at the Olympic stadium

Went to Wests v souths first of all - 20k in an 80k stadium gave little atmosphere. Chose that game in order to see how the Burgesses were going - not too well in that one. Wests had lots of banners about makng it a fortress, but how can they when they play at 2 other grounds in the year as home games, and then 2 weeks later Souths were at home at the Olympic stadium.

It all felt a bit sterile and forced. However, cheap tickets.

2 days later went to Manly v Parramatta at Brookvale. Even though the attendance was only 2/3rds of the previous game, the atmosphere and experience was great. More expensive but more than worth it.

Why do the clubs have to play at Olympic and Allianz stadium when there is no chance of filling it (and have to reduce ticket prices) instead of Leichardt, Wollongong, etc all the time?

I remember reading an article about Lee Briers' visit to Sydney earlier this year where he trotted out the old line about the NRL being all about completions, five drives and a kick, whereas in SL the ball gets thrown about a lot more. It's become a bit of a cliche really, and doesn't really reflect reality, As you say, there's more of an emphasis on defence in the NRL, but it doesn't mean its simply 'five drives and a kick'. Both competitions have their good points and bad points. 

Having watched an awful lot of NRL up close this last couple of weeks, its general intensity, speed and and baseline skill level come across as greater than Super League. The lack of atmosphere isn't helped by playing games in vastly over-sized arenas. Was at the SCG for a humdinger between Souths and the Dragons and, at 20 thousand+, was the biggest crowd I was in during my time there - but the ground was half full and the fans were a very long way from the action (we were sat on half-way on the back row of the bottom tier and struggled to see the far side of the pitch).

If you want 'atmosphere' at the big stadia, you have to get a ticket in the Burrow, the Kennel or the Chook Pen.

Conversely, I was at Leichhardt to watch Wests Tigers batter Manly in the rain and the place was bouncing with 16,000 on. In terms of emphasis on defence, I was at Easts two weeks running (0-8 v Manly and 8-9 v Bulldogs) and both contests were compelling.

My view is that NRL only looks like 'five drives and a big kick' because of the regularity with which they actually get to the kick.

On a footnote, the new laws in the NRL ('7th tackle' from kicks gone dead/taps from 40/20s) have speeded the game up noticeably I think.

Why do the clubs have to play at Olympic and Allianz stadium when there is no chance of filling it (and have to reduce ticket prices) instead of Leichardt, Wollongong, etc all the time?

I was told by an ANZ Stadium member that the ANZ stadium pays each club  $1m dollars to play their games there (£550,000). The incentive is so attractive to clubs that even Parra are taking a couple of games there this time! But - as you say - give me Leichhardt or Brooky bursting at the seams any day.

In terms of emphasis on defence, I was at Easts two weeks running (0-8 v Manly and 8-9 v Bulldogs) and both contests were compelling.

Yet it sounds like you didn't enjoy the defensive grit of Whitehaven after reading your last blog post  ;)

Good luck over the border tomorrow, could be on the verge of the top 9 with a win at NWC.

I was told by an ANZ Stadium member that the ANZ stadium pays each club  $1m dollars to play their games there (£550,000). The incentive is so attractive to clubs that even Parra are taking a couple of games there this time! But - as you say - give me Leichhardt or Brooky bursting at the seams any day.

Hmmm, I may have found Oldham a new ground :)

PS. My missus prefers the NRL "Coz the blokes are hunkier". nuff said..................... :(

Yeah, the "wife".......

;)

This isn't really crazy. Homebush is Western Sydney, and actually geographically about halfway between Parramatta and Balmain/Ashfield. Both teams have a huge number of fans spread throughout all of Western Sydney. It's not really the great inconvenience you make out. All public transport to the game that day will be free due to the Easter Show. There'll be many fans who'd rather make their way to Homebush than Leichhardt.

I agree with your overall point that it's a shame to see huge stadiums mostly empty, but you probably picked a bad example to make that point. There should be a pretty good crowd there on Monday.

EDIT: Ticket sales indicate this game should pass 40k fairly easily. If no rain, this could be very big.

Yet it sounds like you didn't enjoy the defensive grit of Whitehaven after reading your last blog post  ;)

Good luck over the border tomorrow, could be on the verge of the top 9 with a win at NWC.

It wasn't so much their defensive grit, rather their slow-motion cluelessness that drove me nuts ha ha.

Cheers for the good wishes - should be a close one tomorrow: game on!

EDIT: Ticket sales indicate this game should pass 40k fairly easily. If no rain, this could be very big.

50,688. Just a tad more than Parra's capacity B)