Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Grinder

Next Subday's CC Game v Leigh

55 posts in this topic

Our attacking plays yesterday were dismal compared to those of Leigh. We can get away with that against inferior opposition but against decent teams we are found badly wanting. We struggled in this respect last season, but having replaced Finn with Moore, it seems to have got worse. We must have missed six opportunities to score yesterday, whereas Leigh converted most of theirs into points. Our forwards may well be the best forwards in the league, but they can't win games by themselves. Without some strategy, flair and pace in attack, we will not compete against Leigh next week.

Have to disagree there; We were cutting them apart in the first half, and the turning point came with Ellis's great break upfield, when he couldn't get a pass out to the support on his right and had to give it to Matty on his inside. If we'd had Ryan Brierley he would have been there to streak away under the posts. We then threw the ball away and they came away downfield in a couple of plays and Brierley waltzed through at the other end. What could have been an 18-6 lead turned into 12-12! (Where are our half-backs when Ellis makes a break?). In the 2nd half we were 2 props down, so our forwards tired,and we lost composure, giving the ball away and conceding penalties. The tries scored by Haggerty and Kay looked very soft, but Brierley is genuine class, always on hand to support the break, and capitalising on any chink in the defence. Mendeika wasn't far behind him though.

I would like to see the DVD though, I'm concerned that most of the tries seem to be conceded down our right, week in, week out, but that is also where our main attacking threat lies. Is it that our best attacking players are also the worst on defence? 

I think that is a pretty good summary of the game.

Good to meet a few Fev fans and obviously will be in Fev next Sunday when I hope to borrow some money off one or two. ;) .

Thanks for that Frank, I hope you enjoy my match report in next week's League Express. I will try to be as impartial as possible.

Steve, I really enjoy your match reports, they are always balanced, informative and obviously written by a knowledgable RL man. Only thing I'd like to see added are quotes from the respective coaches if you can, I always enjoy reading their post match analyses on what's just taken place. Got to say the LE reports on Rovers are the best they've been of a long time, keep up the good work Steve.

As for the Leigh game? It was there for the taking with better composure and awareness near their line. Not a fan of these over complicated plays when simple controlled rugby designed to build pressure would be far more effective. Finny would have won us that game on Sunday sorry to say.

I try to include the Coaches' comments Terry, but sometimes its difficult to fit into the 500 words I'm allowed, and the tight deadline makes it difficult to constrict the report in order to leave room for these comments. I also like to check key moments on the DVD, and that takes time, but I'm getting quicker week by week and I'm starting to find time to reduce my word count to allow this.

I think that above all, it was our defence that let us down yesterday, and some of the better performers with ball in hand were also the biggest culprits when tries were conceded. On another day all conversions would have been kicked and Ellis's break a minute before Brierley scored to level would have been converted into a try, and we would have gone into the break 24-6 up.