Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

londonrlfan

James Graham: "Trent Hodkinson for England"

45 posts in this topic

No the worst Northern accent is Blackburn by a mile.

This is the first post I think I've ever disagreed with you.

Bury or Wigan for me, blooody horrible

I believe that any Australians without pre-Captain Cook ancestory should be ineligible to play for Australia.

They should all be available for England.

This simple adjustment to international eligibility would I believe transform the fortunes of the England national team even with loose forwards playing at half back. Even with SackNamara as sometimes when he feels like it coach.

Whilst on the one hand I really don't like flags of convenience players who sign for different countries (as happens in RU and cricket) I also believe that nationality is a far more complex thing than many on here appreciate, and it is possible to consider yourself as both and Aussie and a Brit.

I don't know if Trent falls into this category, but I do recall Maurie F talking really positively about how he was proud to represent GB and England in 2007-2008 as he felt he had been adopted by our country.

Someone who was very close to me was born in Switzerland of Scottish parents and lived all over the world in Australia and USA before settling in England. She was brought up Scottish and her parents even wrote 'Scottish' on her birth certificate, and being fantastically talented she ended up representing Scotland in the 1994 and 2002 Commonwealth Games. But when Scotland stiffened their eligibility criteria in 2004 she was no longer eligible and was told she had to represent England - which she would never do as she didn't consider herself English. Eventually she got an exemption after much petitioning, and common sense prevailed.

This experience illustrates both points pretty starkly to me - nationality is far more complex than just birth, and that choosing national representation isn't something that should ever be taken lightly.

Looks like Hodkinsons representative ambitions lie elsewhere-

http://www.nrl.com/barrett-calls-on-duo-to-press-for-nsw-spot/tabid/10874/newsid/77978/default.aspx

City coach Brad Fittler has named an 18-man squad with Canterbury halfback Trent Hodkinson the extra player included as cover for Gold Coast playmaker Aidan Sezer who's carrying an ankle injury.

However, he said there was a real chance the in-form Bulldogs star could be involved in the game despite Adam Reynolds being the first-choice No.7.

"(Adam) Reynolds was there last year and I wanted some momentum but if anything did happen to Mitchell Pearce, Trent Hodkinson is right in contention to replace him at halfback for State of Origin," Fittler said.

or just play a young skillful ENGLISH scrum half instead!!!!!!!!

I don't think he's good enough for England anyway, if 18th man in City v Country is the best he can do, he's no improvement to what we already have. Watch McBanana select him in the Four Nations squad anyway...

I don't think he's good enough for England anyway, if 18th man in City v Country is the best he can do, he's no improvement to what we already have. Watch McBanana select him in the Four Nations squad anyway...

He's better than Chase and Sinfield.

Neither of whom should be in the squad anyway

but not as good as powell, o'brien, mellor etc etc etc 

but not as good as powell, o'brien, mellor etc etc etc

If you think those three are better than Chase and Sinfield, you're deluded.

I'd rather have Mellor in my side than both of them. I wouldn't put Chase ahead of any of them three though.

For the 2017 world cup we have time to develop a partnership with Widdop, Sneyd, Hampshire, Matty Smith, Mellor or whoever it may be.

We don't need this Aussie.

If you think those three are better than Chase and Sinfield, you're deluded.

and they are all better than miller 

you support hull don't you? the club who are doing a lot for developing young players..............from australia like miller and rankin 

and they are all better than miller 

Why mention Miller?

you support hull don't you? the club who are doing a lot for developing young players..............from australia like miller and rankin 

I really don't follow what any of this had to do with Miller at Hull FC. Am I missing something?

you support hull don't you?

Yes I do. Not quite sure what that has to do with the thread...

the club who are doing a lot for developing young players..............from australia like miller and rankin

Let's forget the young English players in the side shall we...

Not very good at this arguing lark, are you?

I really don't follow what any of this had to do with Miller at Hull FC. Am I missing something?

Usually when people don't have a point or are losing a point, they subtly try and divert to another or attack the messenger. Wasn't very subtle though!

Viking Warrior the only young English player that is probably going to play for England at Widnes is potentially Joe Mellor and even then he came from Wigan. Hull have Jamie Shaul, Ben Crooks, Tom Lineham, Danny Houghton and Joe Westerman who have the potential to play for England.

I don't see your argument although I agreed with your points about your original players being better than Chase.