Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ckn

UKIPpery

2,045 posts in this topic

It's quite comical to see the British establishment bending over backwards to try to find ways to discredit UKIP.

Those who have power certainly don't like to let go of it.

So a political party led autocratically by a Thatcher loving, public school educated, expense fiddling, former stockbroker who has been on the EU 'gravy train' for 15 years and is funded by multimillionaires is somehow breaking the British establishment is it Martyn?

So a political party led autocratically by a Thatcher loving, public school educated, expense fiddling, former stockbroker who has been on the EU 'gravy train' for 15 years and is funded by multimillionaires is somehow breaking the British establishment is it Martyn?

Of course!

He wants their power, and they don't want to let it go.

Virtually all the leaders of anti-establishment movements throughout history have come from the establishment ranks themselves.

I could name them all, but I'd be here all day.

Fortunately, for all his faults, Farage doesn't seem to be a homicidal maniac, like many of those who we could name.

UKIP's European group has collapsed.  UKIP used the groups money to fund staff and the group gave Farage priority speaking rights. 

Knock yourself out ...

Fortunately, for all his faults, Farage doesn't seem to be a homicidal maniac, like many of those who we could name.

He doesn't seem like a homicidal maniac. But there are probably many homicidal maniacs who probably came across as your favourite uncle.

He doesn't seem like a homicidal maniac. But there are probably many homicidal maniacs who probably came across as your favourite uncle.

I'm more concerned as to which of the 'establishment' parties (to use Martyn's perspective) is led by a homicidal maniac.

I can only assume he has inside information.

It's quite comical to see the British establishment bending over backwards to try to find ways to discredit UKIP.

Those who have power certainly don't like to let go of it.

Do you not find it funny how Farage and co have convinced people including seemingly yourself that they aren't part of the 'establishment' presumably clacton's new mp is a care worker

James O’Brien makes a very good point in asking what UKIP are FOR rather than against. It's all too easy to be anti this and anti that but being positive and saying what you are for takes a little more thought and a lot more doing.

If you want to know what a party is for, the best thing to do is to check out its website.

I would have thought James O'Brien would have known that.

His problem is that he spends too much time angling to be a Newsnight presenter, which he has already partially achieved after his celebrated interview of Farage a few months ago.

For those who want to know what UKIP is for, here is the relevant page from its website.

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people

We can all point out how and why its policies may be crazy, but we can't really say they don't have any.

UKIP's European group has collapsed.  UKIP used the groups money to fund staff and the group gave Farage priority speaking rights. 

Apparently a Latvian MEP left the group, causing it to be shut down.

It would be interesting to know who persuaded him to do that, and what form the persuasion took.

Stalin was often called 'Uncle Joe' by those who should have known better.

Do you not find it funny how Farage and co have convinced people including seemingly yourself that they aren't part of the 'establishment' presumably clacton's new mp is a care worker

You need to read my posts a little more carefully.

If you want to know what a party is for, the best thing to do is to check out its website.

His problem is that he spends too much time angling to be a Newsnight presenter, which he has already partially achieved after his celebrated interview of Farage a few months ago.

For those who want to know what UKIP is for, here is the relevant page from its website.

We can all point out how and why its policies may be crazy, but we can't really say they don't have any.

Erm, that really wasn't the point of the line of questioning.

we can't really say they don't have any.

Farage has said that.  Why aren't we allowed to?

His problem is that he spends too much time angling to be a Newsnight presenter, which he has already partially achieved after his celebrated interview of Farage a few months ago.

Obrien didn't want to know what UKIP is for. He wanted to know what the people he was interviewing believed the party was 'for'. A different thing altogether

You need to read my posts a little more carefully.

I promise to try harder in future

Stalin was often called 'Uncle Joe' by those who should have known better.

often with a large slice of irony

Of course!

He wants their power, and they don't want to let it go.

Virtually all the leaders of anti-establishment movements throughout history have come from the establishment ranks themselves.

let's start with Hitler and Stalin…oops they didn't did they. 

How about Fidel Castro and Che Guevarra, nope both middle class.

same with marx and lenin

Ramsay McDonald? First labour prime minister, very anti establishment in their day, maybe not now. Nah illegitimate and born in poverty. 

How about Piniochet? Now You're talking

You couldn't get more establishment than Farage and those at the top of his path including his new MP.

often with a large slice of irony

If only!

Roosevelt was the chief culprit.

His admiration of Stalin is difficult to understand, and had very serious consequences for the Poles in particular.

let's start with Hitler and Stalin…oops they didn't did they. 

How about Fidel Castro and Che Guevarra, nope both middle class.

same with marx and lenin

Ramsay McDonald? First labour prime minister, very anti establishment in their day, maybe not now. Nah illegitimate and born in poverty. 

How about Piniochet? Now You're talking

You couldn't get more establishment than Farage and those at the top of his path including his new MP.

I said earlier that: "Virtually all the leaders of anti-establishment movements throughout history have come from the establishment ranks themselves."

There are some exceptions, but the only genuine one you have cited is Hitler.

Lenin, rather than Stalin, was the leader of the Bolsheviks, and he was upper middle class in Russia, which made him part of the establishment there. Castro likewise in Cuba.

If only!

Roosevelt was the chief culprit.

His admiration of Stalin is difficult to understand, and had very serious consequences for the Poles in particular.

Stalin outmanoeuvred Roosevelt and Churchill easily at yalta

In general terms 'uncle joe' wasn't a term to be taken too seriously at the time.

I said earlier that: "Virtually all the leaders of anti-establishment movements throughout history have come from the establishment ranks themselves."

There are some exceptions, but the only genuine one you have cited is Hitler.

Lenin, rather than Stalin, was the leader of the Bolsheviks, and he was upper middle class in Russia, which made him part of the establishment there. Castro likewise in Cuba.

Stalin was a peasant

I know Lenin was the leader of the Bolsheviks Lenin was an academic. Stalin was a major figure in the revolution. You omit Trotsky who really was part of the 'establishment'

Guevara was a doctor, Castro had a doctorate McDonald came from absolute poverty to become a political leader .

And yet multi millionaire privately educated Nigel Farage isn't 'establishment' along with his new MP.

The term establishment seems to become more meaningless just about every time it's used.