Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hate the rec

Just a very large "Thank You"

108 posts in this topic

All I care about is the here and now and how we will shock Halifax on Sunday. UP THE TOWN.

Sadly too many Town AND Haven fans only think about the here and now and that's why both clubs are dying. You only have to look at the number of Haven fans who spat their dummies out yesterday and won't go back until the chubby one has gone....

We should all wait and see how this new  "report" comes out before condemning it.

But at least they are a ever dwindling group,I agree let's see what the review brings to the table before deriding it,most open minded fans realise things cant carry on as they are.

The thing is, both camps probably haven't made investigations as to why they are barely getting 1,000 fans between them.

A few opinions on here are a start, but they need the opinions of the hundreds who aren't flocking to DP or the Rec now, even if they don't like the results

The thing is, both camps probably haven't made investigations as to why they are barely getting 1,000 fans between them.

A few opinions on here are a start, but they need the opinions of the hundreds who aren't flocking to DP or the Rec now, even if they don't like the results

good points shaun.some of the hundreds and even thousands who turned up for the RLWC games must be some of the stay away fans from both sides. Fans who put the WC attendances down say it was the same people went to both games which I dont think entirely is true. So take the say 7k who allegedly attended both games remove the 1400 that attended the recent derby thats still 5.6k that attended to watch a higher standard of rugby. I am personally not 100% convinced on a merger yet but am willing to let the review bring its findings and see if and whats possible.

Even with a merger I don't see them giving us a superleague place now that promotion,relegation has been brought back but maybe a competitive championship team with a fully funded youth system,a 5 year plan to help us develop a stadium,sponsorship,lotteries,improve links with the amateur clubs,expand the support base which could then lead us into superleague place might be a better result of the review and would be better for the merged team in the long run as it would then be based on strong foundations.but hey what do I know I'm only a supporter.

Really fair points . With the franchise system out for promotion and relegation, parachuting a new franchise in would go against the new grain ... And they're reducing numbers , so to put Cumbria in will take a hell of a lot of negotiation and persuasion , and if numbers are set then someone has to vote themselves out! Do you want a merger with the lure of SL only maybe down the line ? Building a strong base first seems sensible , but not being in SL will make it a harder sell , and Cumbria being in the championship would pretty much put the kibosh on any future for the separate clubs . For such a big change I'd want a SL place as part of the bargain .I agree that it's yet to be fully convincing , but looking into everything is fair enough . There is an awful lot to look into though the more you look at it !!

Even with a merger I don't see them giving us a superleague place now that promotion,relegation has been brought back but maybe a competitive championship team with a fully funded youth system,a 5 year plan to help us develop a stadium,sponsorship,lotteries,improve links with the amateur clubs,expand the support base which could then lead us into superleague place might be a better result of the review and would be better for the merged team in the long run as it would then be based on strong foundations.but hey what do I know I'm only a supporter.

Davo5, that is more or less how I have always envisaged it. We could become a very strong force in the Championship and building towards SL. The stadium has always been the stumbling block but I'm sure ways could be found to get one built mid-way between the two towns but in the meantime use both grounds for the first and Under 20's teams alternating. I do believe that the tide is turning in favour of one team despite what one or two at each club shout. Players, current and past, coaches, current and past, supporters mainly past all see it as the way forward so why are we being held back by a noisy minority?

I'm not sure we could sell a merger to watch what we're already watching . If the will is there locally and the snowball grows , we need the RFL and SL to join the party and provide the incentive . A county side would enhance their comp . Everyone needs to pull for us . With SL funds we could get one competitive squad of ex - pat Cumbrians , overseas , British players and the cream of the club and local talent .

I think a merger would be better than a new seperate team as I couldn't see familys or even single attending fans going to watch a seperate club and then haven or town on the sunday due to cost. The thing with a competitive championship side is would the required standard of player move up here or commute to play RL alongside our better locals.

This is all good craic . There's no right or wrong . We're talking about it , and that shows the way the wind is blowing . No doubt all these things and many more will get discussed behind the scenes if the scene is set ... More to the point in the short term ,can we win some matches please this year and give us some hope with the set up we have now !!!! And hopefully we'll hear some news about town again sometime soon ...

They also serve who stand and wait ................

This is all good craic . There's no right or wrong . We're talking about it , and that shows the way the wind is blowing . No doubt all these things and many more will get discussed behind the scenes if the scene is set ... More to the point in the short term ,can we win some matches please this year and give us some hope with the set up we have now !!!! And hopefully we'll hear some news about town again sometime soon ...

Sounds like the game is more important to you all than the club.

Sounds like the game is more important to you all than the club.

the club is important but no one can deny there real problems with semi pro RL at the moment. Need I mention the last home attendance and really everyone should welcome a review of whats going on. I would be more worried about the club if the RFL sat back and watched the decline going on and did nothing.

451 watched us play the double league champions ... 451 . I think that's chilling . We'd be struggling to have a club if things slide on like that . No one is saying jump in feet first - but it costs little to explore avenues and take soundings , and maybe save rugby here rather than see it disappear into the lowest rugby anonymity if struggles continue ? It's worth having a debate , if you didn't care about the club you wouldn't be bothered .

The best i can see or us is being a Batley type club finishing around 5th or 6th with gates of around 1000, and i'd be happy with that, maybe others wouldn't.  The main reason we had 451 is because people feel let down for whatever reason by the directors not delivering signings needed to make that achievable. If we do that and keep signing good amateurs like we have in the past 3 years that's where we should be.

There's no need to chuck in the towel yet.

But we aren't going to be finishing 5th or 6th. At the rate were going well be extremely lucky to finish 5th from bottom. Then what? If we get them numbers for Sheffield what's it going to be like against Gateshead, skolars and Hemel?

The best i can see or us is being a Batley type club finishing around 5th or 6th with gates of around 1000, and i'd be happy with that, maybe others wouldn't. The main reason we had 451 is because people feel let down for whatever reason by the directors not delivering signings needed to make that achievable. If we do that and keep signing good amateurs like we have in the past 3 years that's where we should be.

don't think anyone is chucking in the towel yet but we have to be a bit realistic. If we go down so will the standard of rugby and crowds will drop again. We won't have any traveller's and yeah in an ideal we would have 17 good cumbrians but remember the top amatuers are rumoured to be wanting daft money to sign on. Will fans want to give a sunny afternoon up to stand with 300 others watching Gloucester all golds or hemel Hempstead? I know fans who are very frustrated at the moment and don't intend to be part of that 300 or so fans next season if it happens

The best i can see or us is being a Batley type club finishing around 5th or 6th with gates of around 1000, and i'd be happy with that, maybe others wouldn't. The main reason we had 451 is because people feel let down for whatever reason by the directors not delivering signings needed to make that achievable. If we do that and keep signing good amateurs like we have in the past 3 years that's where we should be.

Rubbish

The main reasons for that crowd were the fact we'd thrown away a big lead the home game before, the fact that Sheffield never bring any supporters and the fact that Liverpool v Man City was on TV.

Don't try and twist it into a not delivering on signings debate.

remember the top amatuers are rumoured to be wanting daft money to sign on.

A rumour propagated by the deluded ones down the road as the reason for a lot of locals not wanting to sign for them

This has developed into a merger debate and the reasons you've given plus mine ,whether you agree with it or not , back up my argument that we don't have to cosy up to them down the road just cos things aren't going our way.

If you're more interested in quality live rugby or if it's not possible to be a top 6 team on gates of 1000 then we'd want to go down that road ,but i know diehards who aren't getting off the sofa to go to DP at the moment and that's the reason they give.

with regards to signing more local amateurs there is a very similar similar thread to this on havens forum and they are talking of going back to basics with local amateurs too. Just how many of these top local players is there to go around.

This has developed into a merger debate and the reasons you've given plus mine ,whether you agree with it or not , back up my argument that we don't have to cosy up to them down the road just cos things aren't going our way.

If you're more interested in quality live rugby or if it's not possible to be a top 6 team on gates of 1000 then we'd want to go down that road ,but i know diehards who aren't getting off the sofa to go to DP at the moment and that's the reason they give.

I don't think the review is solely about a merger. the review might say its simply not possible for a merger or it finds that getting some investment into the county to improve the grounds and strengthen the cumbria academy may be an option with ideas to encourage better links with the amateur game and stop the talented youngsters heading of for SL academies.

Even the derby matches nowadays don't attract much interest. If Scotland can attract such crowds imagine what a Cumbrian SL team could do. Town isn't and never has been full of just Workington players so such allegiance to Town or Haven is just an old habit really which is gradually losing relavance as it ain't go to lead anywhere ever. Time to move on.

If we had a 12 strong BOD who each had a bit of time to put in  ( maybe money would help too) and a marketing expert to guide them as Peter Deakin did for Warrington and turned them into a sustainable top team,  then there is no reason why we couldn't be a top Championship side. But the truth is that despite repeated requests people are not prepared to step up to be a director, and we have no expert in marketing. So we are where we are, and it doesn't look likely to change in the near future.