Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LordCharles

Salford sign 4 more!

92 posts in this topic

Fair enough John, but bear in mind the RFL's academy ratings on a score of 1-4, 1 being the best, 4 being the worst, Salford scored a 4.

It would depend on when the rating was made. Prior to the apocalypse of 2012-13, we weren't too bad. Then the club imploded. The academy suffered badly, with them having to drop out of the top flight.

It would depend on when the rating was made. Prior to the apocalypse of 2012-13, we weren't too bad. Then the club imploded. The academy suffered badly, with them having to drop out of the top flight.

This last summer so i take the point.

Heard strong rumours that Darrell Goulding is on his way to Salford next season. He apparently has rejected Wigan's contract offer and told club he is not staying as he has been offered much more elsewhere, hence him being put on bench last week.

Note above the disaster the Calder area has become, just a nursery for true Superleague clubs.....

Calder area?

Brighouse, Rastrick, Todmorden are really just towns that are a nursery for Superleague clubs?

Surprise surprise, the effective academies you name belong to the clubs who have been winning the cup and league for many years past and are set to hog those trophies for many years onwards.

They do it by developing the important resource of professional players, not by Mr. Rich chucking money about, yet every time a club gets access to a few quid the fantasists think the order of things is going to change overnight. Meanwhile the fans who aren't daft don't get that excited hence 2,900.

I'm interested in your snippet as regards a possible academy reduction to eight, it would not surprise me in one way (a tacit acceptance there are too many academies, and useless ones at that)  in another way it would surprise me (A lack of an acceptance the future of top class RL is not recreating the past)

Here's the best academies, as scored by the RFL. 

Bradford 

Hull FC 

Leeds 

Les Catalans

St Helens 

Warrington

Widnes

Wigan 

Seven of the eight were suprise suprise, also the best supported clubs in Super league last year.

If Koukash really has any designs on being a real Superleague club and not just one of the also rans "outside the eight" then the academy needs to come first.

Note above the disaster the Calder area has become, just a nursery for true Superleague clubs.....

don't let RSN see that he reckons widnes have no academy players coming through 

don't let RSN see that he reckons widnes have no academy players coming through

No I stated you don't produce any who are good enough to play fot England. Show me any this century who have come from Widnes who have played for England.

No I stated you don't produce any who are good enough to play fot England. Show me any this century who have come from Widnes who have played for England.

think there's only Ritchie Myler from the Widnes Academy.

This century is only fourteen years old ... just over one generation of players. For most of that time the club wasn't in Superleague so you can't expect it to develop top notch teenage players when those boys also have St Helens and Warrington on their doorstep.

Anyone over fifty will remember Reggie Bowden, Tony Myler, David Hulme, Paul Hulme, Mick Adams, Stuart Wright, Andy Currier, Keith Elwell, Joe Lydon  etc.  All played for Great Britain via Widnes.

Ritchie Myler - England RL

Steven Myler - England RU

(Not related)

This century is only fourteen years old ... just over one generation of players. For most of that time the club wasn't in Superleague so you can't expect it to develop top notch teenage players when those boys also have St Helens and Warrington on their doorstep.

Anyone over fifty will remember Reggie Bowden, Tony Myler, David Hulme, Paul Hulme, Mick Adams, Stuart Wright, Andy Currier, Keith Elwell, Joe Lydon etc. All played for Great Britain via Widnes.

32 years off 50 so I'm going to struggle.

Every club has produced top drawer players. Widnes proclaim they have a top drawer youth system yet but no international players have been produced.

In 2017 I still don't think Widnes will have any of their products playing for England.

Every club has produced top drawer players. Widnes proclaim they have a top drawer youth system yet but no international players have been produced.

In 2017 I still don't think Widnes will have any of their products playing for England.

Alex Gerrard is looking the best bet at the moment (not Widnes-born but came through the Academy there). 

Anyone over fifty will remember Reggie Bowden, Tony Myler, David Hulme, Paul Hulme, Mick Adams, Stuart Wright, Andy Currier, Keith Elwell, Joe Lydon  etc.  All played for Great Britain via Widnes.

In the 1980's and 1990's Widnes had a long run as a top club, in the "noughties" they got back to superleague for a couple of seasons.

The list of Internationals is impressive and the town is a Rugby league town so why exactly did the junior game seemingly die a bit of a death. It would be interesting to know.

It's not as if the club were that bad outside of Superleague? It seems on the face of it the local kids maybe aren't as interested when their club isn't in Superleague. Whatever happened to Widnes Tigers?? 

Money talks and often lads sign for the highest bidder. Mark Percival at Saints for instance is from the well known RL playing Widnes family.

richie myler i rest my case you know sweet FA about what you are talking about 

if you knew what the you were talking about then you would know that on the current academy gradings that widnes were graded in the top six academies in the country. just keep spouting  

richie myler i rest my case you know sweet FA about what you are talking about 

Richie Myler slipped my mind probably due to him only playing for Widnes first team twice and making the majority of his younger first team appearances for Salford.

if you knew what the ###### you were talking about then you would know that on the current academy gradings that widnes were graded in the top six academies in the country. just keep spouting ###### 

My point is about producing international players not super league ones. The RFL grade the academies on lots of things, not entirely on whether international players are produced. I'm not sure how the grade is relevant to counter arguing the point I made. You can have a top graded academy but that doesn't mean you have produced international players.