Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robins up north

Commonwealth Games Rugby League 9s

159 posts in this topic

The lead up to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow will feature rugby league as an exhibition sport, with an U19s 9s Championship involving five of the six Commonwealth Regions.

The Rugby League Commonwealth Championship 2014 will be contested by South Africa, Canada, Jamaica, England, Scotland, Wales, Australia and Papua New Guinea, with the teams split into two groups.

The matches will take place over the 27-28th June as the 9s format looks to continue to spread the sport on the international stage.

The Rugby League International Federation presented to the Commonwealth Games Sports Review Committee in Kuala Lumpur in May 2011 and their decision to accept rugby league as a category three sport was ratified by the CG General Assembly in November that year.

The matches will take place at the Broadwood Stadium, North Lanarkshire and Mike Hooper, CGF Chief Executive Officer, commented: "The Commonwealth Games Federation wishes all participants every success, the advent of these Championships is a true demonstration of the RLIF's commitment to further developing the sport across the Commonwealth."

RLIF Chairman Scott Carter added: "Since becoming a member of the CGF in 2011, rugby league has remained true to the message that shaped our application, that it is truly a sport of the Commonwealth".

"We are committed to working to develop the sport in these regions. Our grassroots work continues at a steady pace in Africa, for example, and it was important for the RLIF to bring together teams from all corners of the Commonwealth in what promises to be a true celebration of rugby league."

The next Commonwealth Games in 2018 will be held on Australia's Gold Coast - a stronghold of the sport - where the plan is to again run a pre-Games exhibition, most likely at U23 level, with a view to 9s becoming a category two sport and eligible for full inclusion in the Commonwealth Games thereafter.

Rugby League Commonwealth Championship 2014 - Format

Pool A: Australia (ranked 1), Wales (6), Scotland (11), Jamaica (23)

Pool B: England (3), PNG (7), Canada (16), South Africa (25)

Day 1 (27th June) - Pool games
Day 2 (28th June) - Semis and Finals (5 matches per nation total)

Does anyone have information regards the above? Theres nothing on the games website or the RFL. Hoping to attend if it goes ahead.

That post of yours the most information I've seen to date. It should certainly be worth watching if you can get there.

We volunteered to help out on the day. They didn't seem interested despite advertising for help, so we have given up trying.

That post of yours the most information I've seen to date. It should certainly be worth watching if you can get there.

I have to admit I cut and pasted it from the Rhinos page on here. I,m 15 miles from Broadwood and keen to attend. I,ve e-mailed the RFL requesting details and did not get a reply.

If it goes ahead and programmes are produced, if anyone wants a copy send me a PM.

I have to admit I cut and pasted it from the Rhinos page on here. I,m 15 miles from Broadwood and keen to attend. I,ve e-mailed the RFL requesting details and did not get a reply.

If it goes ahead and programmes are produced, if anyone wants a copy send me a PM.

I'm hoping to get along too, again, if there are actually any plans in the public domain.

It is the Rugby League International Federation which is running the event, not the RFL. There will be a wave of announcements starting very shortly, but you can start to get involved by following on Twitter @RLCommChamp

Squads will start to be announced about a month out from the tournament, with plenty of other news starting shortly.

It is the Rugby League International Federation which is running the event, not the RFL. There will be a wave of announcements starting very shortly, but you can start to get involved by following on Twitter @RLCommChamp

Squads will start to be announced about a month out from the tournament, with plenty of other news starting shortly.

Thanks for the info. I e-mailed the RLIF on Wednesday. No reply yet. I,ll log ont Twitter.

The lead up to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow will feature rugby league as an exhibition sport, with an U19s 9s Championship involving five of the six Commonwealth Regions.

This sounds great and exactly the sort of thing which might help spread the international game. Be nice if there was a bit of television coverage

Does anyone have information regards the above? Theres nothing on the games website or the RFL. Hoping to attend if it goes ahead.

I don't think there will be anything on the Games' website as it isn't an official pre-games event (The Commonwealth Games doesn't have exhibition games like the Olympics). This is the RLIF using its initiative for once and tagging on to a major event, as other sports are doing. I took part in a pre-Commonwealth Games orienteering event yesterday in Glasgow - it had absolutely nothing to do with the games.

The England squad had its first training session on Monday 5th may with a 2nd session on the next bank holiday Monday after which a final 15 man squad will be named.Admission to the games is free,so it should be a good 2 days of rugby.

Received info back from Scotland RL, stating that tickets will be free of charge at the gate and the times are being finalised. Also stated a programme will be available.

Why haven't NZ got a team entered?

They didn't want to. Anyway it's supposed to showcase the spread of the sport in the Commonwealth, not just focus on Oceania and GB. I'd have preferred to see Ghana over South Africa, but either of them is great. 

Hi reply I received from the R.L.I.F.

Sir,

I was passed your email. The competition is an official event of Homecoming Scotland but not part of the Games (it is an official Commonwealth Championship though).

It is free entry on both days, 27 and 28 June. https://www.facebook.com/pages/2014-Rugby-League-Commonwealth-Championships/486447188151452

If you require any further information please let me know.

Regs,

Danny Kazandjian

General Manager

The Rugby League European Federation

First floor, Whittington House, 19-30 Alfred Place, London WC1E 7EA

Only 6 Scottish born lads in the Scotland squad,surely it can't be right to use the grand parents qualification rule at U19 level.

I hope the event is well supported and grows.

Only 6 Scottish born lads in the Scotland squad,surely it can't be right to use the grand parents qualification rule at U19 level.

Better that they have enough scots born to be credible but are competitive on home soil

Hopefully the RLIF lock this concept in every 4 years, regardless of whether or not RL is made an official sport of the Commonwealth Games.

We do very little for our sport below the open age adult level (outside of the occasional international involving Aus, Eng, NZ or Fra) and something like this provides a great carrot to encourage a young up and coming athlete in countries with not a huge RL history to play our sport and try out...

JUNIOR KUMULS CHOSEN FOR SCOTTISH ADVENTURE

Papua New Guinea will bring 15 teenagers from all over the Pacific island across the world to North Lanarkshire for the inaugural Rugby League Commonwealth Championship later this month.

After the final trial in Lae last week, the PNG selection committee decided on players best suited to the speedy Nines game that will test the Junior Kumuls against England, South Africa and Canada in Group B on Friday 27 June at Broadwood Stadium.

“We need to get away from the practice of picking players based on regions, trying to keep a balance for the four regions, to represent PNG in international competitions” said chairman Sandis Tsaka. “We have to pick players based on merit and whether they fulfil the selection criteria to give us sides that we believe will be competitive at international tournaments. This is the only way forward for PNG to improve internationally and I’m very happy the national selectors have done just that.”

The team, which goes into camp on June 15 in Port Moresby, includes one player from the PNG Hunters side making a big impact on the Queensland Cup – 17-year-old prop Stanton Albert and two Digicel Cup players in Warren Glare and Nickson Borana from Lae side, Snax Tigers.

The squad departs on June 21 for Glasgow and is scheduled to get there three days before the two-day tournament kicks off on June 27 for further training in the vastly different conditions of Scotland and on the artificial turf of Broadwood.

PNG have appointed Dennis Miall from Lae, as head coach. Miall is currently the Schoolboys Development Officer for the Lae region and Deputy Principal at Lae Secondary School.

“Dennis has been involved at this level for three years now, knows most of the players, and has set up a rugby league academy at Lae Secondary School,” explained Tsaka. “He has successfully coached schoolboys teams on International Tours to Brisbane for the last two years. We believe he deserves a chance at this level and has now been given that opportunity. We need to identify new people and more importantly people who will maintain the high standards and code of conduct we have implemented in all of our programs.”

He also has very experienced personnel on the coaching and management team, which includes Toksy Nema and former international Philip Boge as trainers and Shane Morris as Tour Manager. Team official is former Kumul coach Joe Tokam, a director on the PNGRFL Board.

PNG squad: Bill Paul, Warren Glare, Stanton Albert, Gahuna Silas, Solomon Nandepe, Josiah Jimmy, Lavax Ketauwo, Bali Las, Joel Kapia Kee, Toware Kaneke, Ereman Ken, Anderson Benford, Dickson Amea, John Ragi, Nickson Borana.

The RLCC2014 tournament at Cumbernauld’s Broadwood Stadium in North Lanarkshire is part of the Homecoming Scotland festival of events. The action starts on Friday 27 June at 1pm and finishes at 6pm. All eight teams will return the next day for the play-offs and semi-finals stage from 2pm-6pm. Entry on both days is FREE.

See more on Twitter @RLCommChamp
Facebook – Rugby League 2014 Commonwealth Championships

Looking forward to hopefully two great days at the games. Only 15 miles from my house.

Davo5 - I'm a Clyde FC fan and Broadwood is our home (for now) - unfortunately I was too young when I moved down South to experience a bevvy in the pubs but most do their drinking at the pub across the roundabout from the stadium (Broadwood Farm).

If you want an in town recommendation you could do worse than hit up Pie and Bovril and the Clyde fans board.