Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

11/05/14 - The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

29 posts in this topic

Discuss all the games here:

SUNDAY 11th MAY

The Kingstone Press Championship

Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers     KO 2pm
Barrow Raiders v Batley Bulldogs KO 3pm
Dewsbury Rams v Leigh Centurions KO 3pm
Halifax v NW Crusaders KO 3pm
Keighley Cougars v Swinton Lions KO 3pm
Rochdale Hornets v Workington Town KO 3pm
Whitehaven v Doncaster KO 3pm

Sheffield v Fev, Dewsbury v Leigh, look tasty 

Sheffield seem to have found some form and Fev will be hurting and with a new coach. A tight pitch and rain will make that anybody's game

Dewsbury have some big scalps on their tight uneven pitch, again the weather will be a leveller and I feel whoever adapts quickest will take the honours here

Cougars coach P.March has been given a 2 months stadium ban for saying sumat to an official .

Seems a bit steep for me,bad news for Keighley

Cougars coach P.March has been given a 2 months stadium ban for saying sumat to an official .

March has got a history of saying things to match officials

It would appear to be steep. He took two witness with him to back up his side of it.

I dont know the full facts. It would be interesting to find out the full facts.

The officials are probably sick of him, every game he's at the refs constantly, moaning and whinging. Only player I have ever seen take a proper dive with a scream in an RL match too, which had the crowd in stitches.

Off to the Shay on Sunday for Halifax v NW Crusaders and a pint or 2 in the 3 Pigeons!!  Lets hope the Cru are back up off the canvas after last weeks pummelling and we get the form they showed in Whitehaven.

It would appear to be steep. He took two witness with him to back up his side of it.

I dont know the full facts. It would be interesting to find out the full facts.

Here's part of it, I think.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?5028

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?4964

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?4965

Off to the Shay on Sunday for Halifax v NW Crusaders and a pint or 2 in the 3 Pigeons!!  Lets hope the Cru are back up off the canvas after last weeks pummelling and we get the form they showed in Whitehaven.

I'm hoping to get to the game tomorrow, work commitments permitting and maybe even early enough to have a couple of libations in the Three Pigs.

With only 4 points separating 5th. from 12th., the race for SL2 could be very interesting. Pleasantly suprised at the Crusaders' result - after last week I was slightly dreading what might happen - held Halifax out for the last half hour as well :good:

Disappointing game for Rochdale today with Workington running out 10-6 winners. Scoreline flattered Hornets as Workington dominated for long stretches. Their defence smothered Rochdale who struggled to make metres all afternoon. They only managed to threaten at the end of each half but defended their own line stoutly for the first 40. Particularly impressive as they repelled three (could have been 4) dropouts in a row. Pressure told eventually with Town scoring twice wide on the left after the break. Late consolation from Hornets as Workington's fullback, who was immaculate other than this effort, spilled a bomb under a lot of pressure from English who scored beneath the sticks. I believe he was one of the Wigan DR players, anyone know he was, missed the teams being read out.

First poor result for a good few weeks though so hopefully Rochdale keep their heads up for a tough one against a rebounding Halifax next week. Today's results show anyone can beat anyone in this league with maybe the exception of Leigh so here's hoping for a return to winning ways in a week's time.

He was Murphy, the only dr player for town today.

Big Cumbrian day full stop, that battle for the nine will get very tasty

what's happening at Halifax?

Disappointing game for Rochdale today with Workington running out 10-6 winners. Scoreline flattered Hornets as Workington dominated for long stretches. Their defence smothered Rochdale who struggled to make metres all afternoon. They only managed to threaten at the end of each half but defended their own line stoutly for the first 40. Particularly impressive as they repelled three (could have been 4) dropouts in a row. Pressure told eventually with Town scoring twice wide on the left after the break. Late consolation from Hornets as Workington's fullback, who was immaculate other than this effort, spilled a bomb under a lot of pressure from English who scored beneath the sticks. I believe he was one of the Wigan DR players, anyone know he was, missed the teams being read out.

First poor result for a good few weeks though so hopefully Rochdale keep their heads up for a tough one against a rebounding Halifax next week. Today's results show anyone can beat anyone in this league with maybe the exception of Leigh so here's hoping for a return to winning ways in a week's time.

Hornets fanblog report here http://theseladscanrunfor80mins.blogspot.co.uk/

With regards to the Paul March incident, I spoke to the club officials at the match yesterday and two interesting points were made.

1). At the end of the match, the match officials had conflicting stories. At the tribunal, all the stories were in line. When questioned about this they wouldn't comment.

2). The comments attributed to March actually came from a fan. The fan came forward and admitted this and offered to appear at red hall. An independent witness also came forward to confirm what the fan said. Both statements were discounted by the tribunal.

Whether it's intransigence, or they are determined to send out a severe message to all those SL coaches and directors who have been slating officials and the rfl of late I don't know, but it seems like past reputation makes you guilty until ............ assumed guilty.

Maybe if Paul March kept his opinions to himself he wouldn't get banned.

Maybe if Paul March kept his opinions to himself he wouldn't get banned.

Maybe you should read point 2) above.

Maybe we match going fans who have had to put up with his cheating and constant harassment of refs feel he has got what he deserves, finally.

Maybe you should read point 2) above.

And how many times has March been banned, sin-binned and sent off for exactly the same offence? He was serving a 4 match ban at this time for comments made as a player. Presumably those comments were made by a fan as well?

Why does he think all match officials are conspiring against him? What reason would referees have to go out of their way to pick on him? DKW is right, he constantly harasses refs and has for years. His ban is of his own making.

I see, so you two are condemning him by his past behaviour?

I have to say that when he first came to Keighley I was aghast, but he cleaned his act up under Jason Demetriou and although he has been a bad lad of late, in this instance I think there is some good cause for doubt.

From the Keighley site:

Simon Harrison of A1 Stairlifts view of the Paul March ban

Simon Harrison, major sponsor and lifelong supporter of Keighley Cougars, has asked us to post this statement on his behalf.

I attended the disciplinary panel last Thursday and told the panel what happened just after the Leigh match. There was a lot of booing and shouting at the match officials and I decided to make my feelings known to them so I went down to the tunnel. Just as I shouted what I felt Marchy pushed past me. The match officials turned to look and saw him. They clearly assumed it was Marchy who questioned the referee but it wasn’t. It was me. Immediately afterwards I went to Neil Cullen, the CEO, and apologised stating that I feared I had got Marchy into trouble. Marchy shouldn’t have been found guilty of the allegation in my view.

Posted on: May 12th, 2014

I've watched rl for long enough to know there are many in SL and the championship who are more than happy to partake in foul play and influencing the ref and that includes Workington and Dewsbury!

So it was the major sponsor of the club abusing the match official then?

Brilliant. Suggest next time the clubs major sponsor decides to abuse a match official he shouldn't do when stood next to someone already banned for abusing a match official and with a long track record of abusing match officials. A credit to his club.