Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

Six Game GB Tour planned for 2015

129 posts in this topic

Sounds like the Aussies are huffing and puffing over agreeing to a GB tour down under in 2015. Mentions a six-game tour with some other rep games.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/a-british-and-irish-rl-team-to-tour-aust-20140510-381oz.html

Be interesting if it did get the go ahead. What about all those NRL players who are eligible for the home nations (Frizell, Linnett, Wallace, McManus etc)? Would they be under consideration for the squad?

It would be bizarre if players from Welsh and Scottish squads were not included if good enough.

Sounds like the Aussies are huffing and puffing over agreeing to a GB tour down under in 2015. Mentions a six-game tour with some other rep games.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/a-british-and-irish-rl-team-to-tour-aust-20140510-381oz.html

Be interesting if it did get the go ahead. What about all those NRL players who are eligible for the home nations (Frizell, Linnett, Wallace, McManus etc)? Would they be under consideration for the squad?

Interesting point about the likes of Frizell, McManus etc. Tier one international representatives cannot play origin once they have been capped, I.e. by England and New Zealand. I wonder if GB would constitute toward that.

Any mention of what those six games might be?

And what's happening in 2016? Are we getting something on these shores? The Aussies best not have a year off again.

Hopefully they say no and we can have a real international tournament instead, not GB v Queensland residents. We should be playing Fiji and PNG instead. 

Step backwards with no benefits as far as I can see, no better ideas than a 2 yr WC hemisphere cycle as yet.

What odds for a GB call up for Irish international Pat Richards ??? Now there is a thought!

IIRC he once said on Super League Supermen that he wouldn't do it. See's himself as Australian-Irish and not British as such.

I'm ok with a GB tour, but the way the rota is going and the fact that the Aussies just can't be bothered with this, why don't we just sack it off and get a decent series over here? Get New Zealand over for a three Test Series, including a Wembley rematch, and bring over 1 or 2 other nations - PNG and Tonga or similar and have a few decent test matches. The NZ Tour should subsidise these other matches if we are going to get serious and invest in the international game.

I'm ok with a GB tour, but the way the rota is going and the fact that the Aussies just can't be bothered with this, why don't we just sack it off and get a decent series over here? Get New Zealand over for a three Test Series, including a Wembley rematch, and bring over 1 or 2 other nations - PNG and Tonga or similar and have a few decent test matches. The NZ Tour should subsidise these other matches if we are going to get serious and invest in the international game.

NZ are due to be to hosting a tour by the French in 2015, so we'd have to tour NZ. If the Aussies can't be bothered, I'd be quite happy to play some games in NZ and then play one off tests in PNG and one of the islands. At least that way it would make it more affordable for the PNGRFL and the whoever else we played. But it is pretty poor that the next time England play in this country could be 2016.

we won't play states....it'll be png,fiji & samoa or tonga plus 3 tests with either oz or nz if the aussies back out.

The same people who have been demanding the return of GB for the last ten years would go bonkers if Frizell or Wallace were selected.

Are Frizell and Wallace et al really necessary anyway ?

The same people who have been demanding the return of GB for the last ten years would go bonkers if Frizell or Wallace were selected.

I'd rather see actual Welshmen like Ben Flower, Rhys Evans, Ben Evans picked. England and a couple of Aussies isn't Great Britain. 

Step backwards with no benefits as far as I can see, no better ideas than a 2 yr WC hemisphere cycle as yet.

Why is it a step backwards?

The decision was made rightly or wrongly to build the brands of the home nations so there now needs to be a resolve to providing meaningful international competition, returning to GB tours is counter-productive IMO resulting in an endless cycle of rep experimentation. The WC generates money now in both hemispheres so the opportunity exists to capitalise on this by repeating the tournament every four years in both Aus and UK. Only tradition holds this back, it's time for a real commitment to change.

We have a successful England rl brand that attracted big crowds in their last matches, I know let's not have them play at home again for 3 years :(

Any mention of what those six games might be?

For traditionalists, only an underwhelming first run-out against the Burleigh Bears will do. ;) 

We have a successful England rl brand that attracted big crowds in their last matches,

It had nothing to do with the 'brand'.

Successful brands are things like apple and coca cola that are omnipresent. England RL is a very weak brand, because they hardly ever play. I agree if they had more games the brand would become stronger. But just as many people would turn out to watch if it was GB as opposed to England, and just as many people would turn out to watch if the branding was completely different.

I think you're wrong geek. Up until the last second defeat in that WC semi against NZ, the atmosphere and 'Enger-land' chanting was noticeably stronger than anything I remember for GB. It was building very nicely but hey, let's go backwards and pretend.

Non-RL but general sports fans (from Football especially) would, I think, find it asier to get behind the England brand more than a GB squad which will be overwhelmingly English.

One day, when Wales, Scotland and Ireland have enough top-class players (without accents from Down Under or the North of England), the Lions concept can be revived for occasional tours, as RU do, and really be something big. For a sport over a century old, that is where we ought to have been for a long time now.

I think you're wrong geek. Up until the last second defeat in that WC semi against NZ, the atmosphere and 'Enger-land' chanting was noticeably stronger than anything I remember for GB. It was building very nicely but hey, let's go backwards and pretend.

The argument about England vs GB has been done to death on here. But any success and increased profile from the World Cup had nothing to do with the 'brand' - it was purely because it was the national team.

The argument about England vs GB has been done to death on here. But any success and increased profile from the World Cup had nothing to do with the 'brand' - it was purely because it was the national team.

I agree it has been done. But I think you are wrong on this. Plenty of people going to the WC games were newbies to whom GB meant little. Unless of course it was actually GB perhaps and not just England under a different name.

The era we are pandering to won't attend if any aspect of the game or tournament or pricing or rules or squad is not to their liking. The concept belongs in the past. It is appalling that England are not playing France, Wales, a pacific nation before they leave these shores to build on the momentum. To muddy the future potential with the outdated GB tour is so retrograde as to be laughable. We have a huge new constituency that bought into England rl, we are abandoning them to pander to traditionalists who thrive on finding reasons to downplay the modern game. Astonishing and reprehensible!