Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

Six Game GB Tour planned for 2015

129 posts in this topic

Agreed on the first part. Apparently, the Samoans have have had to cancel a tour to the US because the RLIF funding hasn't been decided yet, and won't be agreed on til after they were due to play in July. You'd hope the funding issues were being sorted out long before the change in Chairman, but for whatever reason it appears to be a slow process. 

On the second point, the RLEF are part funded by the RLIF, so any issues will affect them as well, and the likes of Scotland are heavily reliant on the RLIF now with the RFL funding having ceased. 

The reality is though that £3.7m of profit from the World Cup won't go that far. I know there will be additional income each year from TV deals etc to the RLIF but I think we may be expecting too much for an RLIF to sort out all of our international woes, it does still need each country to attract investment themselves.

When I see Scotland having to play a WC warmup game in Featherstone (IIRC) having played not a single game in Scotland that year it makes me pretty angry, but I'm not sure who I should be criticising tbh!

GB or England - I really don't care. I just want to see us having the chance to whoop the Aussies over a 3-test series. I actually think this is a better chance for us to topple them than playing them on odd occasions in tournament.

A test series is the right team playing with the right form at the right time. If we knocked them off over 3 games there would be no excuses.

Whether it's England or GB, I'm just not interested in test series or tours, as I would be the Four Nations or other multi-nation tournaments. Playing one nation all the time is boring. 

The reality is though that £3.7m of profit from the World Cup won't go that far. I know there will be additional income each year from TV deals etc to the RLIF but I think we may be expecting too much for an RLIF to sort out all of our international woes, it does still need each country to attract investment themselves.

When I see Scotland having to play a WC warmup game in Featherstone (IIRC) having played not a single game in Scotland that year it makes me pretty angry, but I'm not sure who I should be criticising tbh!

The profits won't go very far. £3.7m isn't actually that big an amount when you go through all the countries and tournaments that will be asking for funding, and add on top of that any full time staff that the RLIF might look to employ. And its a good point on individual governing bodies doing more. Maybe the teams that turn up at the World Cups gives us all a false impression of the level some of these nations are actually at. 

The profits won't go very far. £3.7m isn't actually that big an amount when you go through all the countries and tournaments that will be asking for funding, and add on top of that any full time staff that the RLIF might look to employ. And its a good point on individual governing bodies doing more. Maybe the teams that turn up at the World Cups gives us all a false impression of the level some of these nations are actually at. 

Yep, agree with that.

Maybe we need to be a touch more ruthless and really focus on a core of stronger nations and provide logistical support for other nations. Do Scotland genuinely deserve investment for them to stage Test matches? What is the return on this? If the answer is yes, great, if not then they need to prove commitment by getting stuck in and staging what they can.

We have too many fake teams imho, as much joy as Scotland, Samoa, Italy etc gave in the RLWC, if they can't actually stage a game at home, with their own players, then what are we actually doing there? It never feels like there is an actual strategy in place, the post-WC planning has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Yes, yes many did actually.

Only the petty minded ones.

the post-WC planning has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Planning?

Whether it's England or GB, I'm just not interested in test series or tours, as I would be the Four Nations or other multi-nation tournaments. Playing one nation all the time is boring. 

Not only boring, but as I've said before also the mark of a small-time international game which isn't played in enough countries to have more.

Unfortunately, as others have already pointed out the £3.7 million made by the World Cup won't go very far with a dozen or so countries looking for financial help over the four-year period until the next World Cup.  They needed a plan to get World Cup sponsors on board with supporting Internationals for the countries outside the big three in that period, but there's been no sign of them doing that as far as I know.

Unfortunately, as others have already pointed out the £3.7 million made by the World Cup won't go very far with a dozen or so countries looking for financial help over the four-year period until the next World Cup.  

There's about 40 or so nations looking for financial assistance, grants to the RLEF and money towards staging RLWC qualifiers amongst other things. One thing about the Four Nations is that its a good earner for the International game inbetween World Cups. 

The Emperors clothes. Having large numbers of Heritage players in the RLWC may have lent the tournament "competitive" match up games but have stunted the  International growth of League. Where can Italy play the USA when most of the players are Australian? Answer: Nowhere.

I was at Wembley to watch England beat [apart from the end bit] beat NZ. Great day.

Why is there even a discussion about if or if not GB is touring Aus when this should have been set in stone.

Planning?

Sadly, there was actually a plan. It involved no England games in England for two years.

If the RLIF don't have any money, then why don't they have any sponsors? FIFA have stuff like McDonalds, Coca Cola, Visa etc that sponsor any tournament run by FIFA, including youth tournaments. Why can't the RLIF get four/five sponsors to sponsor the international game and bring in some more money to the international game? 

There's about 40 or so nations looking for financial assistance, grants to the RLEF and money towards staging RLWC qualifiers amongst other things. One thing about the Four Nations is that its a good earner for the International game inbetween World Cups. 

Too many countries wanting the RLIF to do everything for them, rather than going out and finding sponsors and partners themselves. 

the problem with the 4nations is its not a RLIF event...its a RFL,ARLC & NZRL event...

the only thing the RLIF gets out of a 4nations is a tax on the gate taking..

According to the interview with Nigel Wood in RLE, the funding for this years European tournament has been sorted out. The Australian players association are the ones not happy about a LIons Tour next year, but it appears that if the Lions don't tour there could be a 'different version of International football' taking place - possibly a World Nines. 

"The Australian players association are the ones not happy about a LIons Tour next year,"

I find that extraordinary …

If the RLIF don't have any money, then why don't they have any sponsors? FIFA have stuff like McDonalds, Coca Cola, Visa etc that sponsor any tournament run by FIFA, including youth tournaments. Why can't the RLIF get four/five sponsors to sponsor the international game and bring in some more money to the international game? 

Because it has no staff to organise it nor any strategic direction or vision for any agencies or staff who might exist to sell to sponsors.

"The Australian players association are the ones not happy about a LIons Tour next year,"

I find that extraordinary …

I don't. These are the same guys that successfully scuppered any international games down under in 2012.

This really gets my back up! Just because it is the end of the season they treat it with contempt. Is Aus v Eng/GB any less important than Canberra v Paramatta for the wooden spoon? A good portion of the Aussie test side - Darius Boyd, Jonathan Thurston, Matt Scott, James Tamou, Jarryd Hayne etc. may not even by playing beyond September (play-offs) in any given year.

What about pointless games like City v Country or the Auckland 9s? If playing for your country is the ultimate accolade then you work from that down - don't you?

Plans for international RL are always implemented before they are ready to be adopted - probably because of greed. Clearly the RFL has been watching the RU Lions and thinks the home nations are ready to come together in a similar fashion, but the fact that most on this forum are referring to it as GB/Eng speaks volumes. Maybe in the future there will be an appetite for a GB touring side, but at present  there isn't enough general RL interest throughout the UK to support it properly (as I reckon some people in Red Hall dream about). Lots of good ideas are thrown around for international RL; my suggestion would be:

1.  France, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland annually during an international window - not easy I know, but workable with the right planning, and an opportunity for some developing English players? [if a new RU pro franchise is started in Scotland, maybe the RFL should negotiate about an RL side at the same club? It worked well in Perpignan, not brilliantly in London - nothing ventured...etc]

2.  Four Nations annually as now, with a WC every 5 years in place of 4N.

3.  In 10-15 years start doing GB tours when it can realistically be called ''GB'' rather than ''England-plus-some-Scots-and-Welshmen-with-suspiciously-Yorkshire/Lancashire-sounding-accents''.

Ultimately, things need to progress slowly from a solid base- we could learn a bit about that from the French; more home-based internationals on the BBC, and then maybe the WC fans from last year would become a fanbase rather than a curious crowd. 

Plans for international RL are always implemented before they are ready to be adopted - probably because of greed. Clearly the RFL has been watching the RU Lions and thinks the home nations are ready to come together in a similar fashion, but the fact that most on this forum are referring to it as GB/Eng speaks volumes. Maybe in the future there will be an appetite for a GB touring side, but at present  there isn't enough general RL interest throughout the UK to support it properly (as I reckon some people in Red Hall dream about). Lots of good ideas are thrown around for international RL; my suggestion would be:

1.  France, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland annually during an international window - not easy I know, but workable with the right planning, and an opportunity for some developing English players? [if a new RU pro franchise is started in Scotland, maybe the RFL should negotiate about an RL side at the same club?]

2.  Four Nations annually as now, with a WC every 5 years in place of 4N.

There is a massive appetite for an Ashes series though Dave regardless of the badge on the chest (Eng or GB). It doesn't need to go down under - that's what winds me up so much - we are gagging for home tests in the UK. The RL Ashes could be played on consecutive weekends Nov 8, 15, 22 - the RUWC will be done and dusted before then.

Are we too scared to book out big venues and challenge ourselves to sell out big stadia in the autumn of 2015?

Well if we are we absolutely shouldn't be - regardless of last year's successes, Ashes tours to this country would sell out, I've no doubt. There's always an appetite in this country to support national sides, whatever the sport may be.

However frustrated we may be by management of the game at all levels, you can't help feeling a pang of sympathy for the administrators. Do you accept that RL (beyond 3N + France) is really just heritage players under a different flag, and go back to 3N and Ashes tours (which idea would be attacked mercilessly by NZ and even France nowadays), or do you forget about traditional tours and fixtures and keep pushing ahead with developing 2nd and 3rd tier nations? Clearly there has to be a mixture of both, but as has been mentioned already, the Aussies won't shift their season for anything, which comes back to the time factor.

Ultimately, the RLIF needs to sit with its members and sort out a long-term intl programme that suits everyone (as far as possible). And this should definitely include plans for Ashes/Lions tours which are 5 years apart and not 4N tours.

In the meantime, a domestic intl comp would attract increasing interest if it was annual and on terrestrial TV, and improvements to the standard of the game would be inevitable - look at how much Fiji, Samoa and Tonga have improved in RU since they started playing an annual tournament in the South Pacific.

Scubby, I am not sure the interest and demand is that big; it is pretty clear the Aussies don't give a flying hoot...

Scubby, I am not sure the interest and demand is that big; it is pretty clear the Aussies don't give a flying hoot...

I meant here mate. The Aussies won't care until someone knocks them off their perch. If we beat the Aussies across a 3 test series they would want a return PDQ.

I think we have a good precedent in looking at what happened in the cricket. Between 1989 and 2005, Ashes matches sold out here but were modestly attended down under as it wasn't a contest. As soon as we knocked them off the 2006 series sold out as it did again last year. 

the problem with the 4nations is its not a RLIF event...its a RFL,ARLC & NZRL event...

the only thing the RLIF gets out of a 4nations is a tax on the gate taking..

No wonder they don't have any money then, too much is going to people that don't need it. 

According to the interview with Nigel Wood in RLE, the funding for this years European tournament has been sorted out. The Australian players association are the ones not happy about a LIons Tour next year, but it appears that if the Lions don't tour there could be a 'different version of International football' taking place - possibly a World Nines. 

I'd rather watch that then a 'GB tour'. 

Are we too scared to book out big venues and challenge ourselves to sell out big stadia in the autumn of 2015?

Yes, because of the RU world cup.  I read in one of the RL publications over the last couple of weeks that the RFL (not the RLIF) has written off a UK based home nations because of the RU world cup.

I think that's extraordinary myself.  The RFU didn't write of their international series because we had a world cup.  Why can't we just go for it anyway?