Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattyb

Magic Weekend - Advice Please!

21 posts in this topic

Hi

My boyfriend and i are coming to the magic weekend for the first time this year. We are there for both days and are pretty much newbies when it comes to rugby league.

We got very much into the world cup and so decided we'd try and keep watching but living in Bristol doesn't give us much opportunity so we thought the magic weekend would be a wicked thing to go to.

Can anyone give us any advice on where to go in Manchester over the weekend e.g. where the best places are for going out after the games and finding other fans?

Also, any other useful advice about the weekend in general would be great!

thanks!

Don't get a hotel too near the ground. Even if you have done, go somewhere else for your nights out. That area is rough!

If you drive to the ground, use the official carpark. However, there is a tram stop right next to the ground.

I worked on a couple of jobs there, next to a large council estate. In the shopping precinct, there were steel grates on the shop windows and only one flash shop frontage ... a 24hour solicitors'. A police van drove around all day, just to let the locals know that they were about.

I would think there will be hundreds of fans milling around the city centre pubs etc. Great curry houses in Rusholme ... a whole street of them.

I would think there will be hundreds of fans milling around the city centre pubs etc. Great curry houses in Rusholme ... a whole street of them.

The Rusholme Curry Mile.

It's not quite the Damascus-type situation as portrayed above! There's a big supermarket just by the ground if you want to stock on on snacks, and the velodrome's next door too. I assume there'll be a fan zone outside, lots of people milling about.

I'd recommend staying in the town centre and getting the tram out - it should be a good party in town on the Saturday night. Enjoy, I wish I was going :)

You're technically not allowed to take food into the ground and your bags may be searched for this. Some will let you through with food, others won't. I'd advise putting any food/drinks in a coat or jacket pocket (if practical!).

There's plenty going on around the ground too, and its great atmosphere both inside and outside the stadium. Enjoy!

I'd recommend having a good breakfast in advance, and maybe even taking some lunch along and eating that in the fanzone right outside the stadium before you go in. This should mean that you would only have to buy one 'meal' in the stadium which can help bring costs down.

The fanzone outside is decent, good atmosphere with live music, games and fans mingling and having a beer (although the bar area is a ringed off area - quite cramped). They also have a big screen so you could have your lunch sat outside watching the first game if you don't want to be in the bowl for the whole day.

Don't forget you can go in and out of the ground too throughout the day.

Probably my biggest recommendation if you are going as a neutral is to pick a team for each game and go and sit with their fans (if you are in unreserved seating) as the atmosphere can be brilliant as fans are generally really up for it.

Enjoy your weekend!

Manchester is absolutely packed with real ale pubs and restaurants of every description. You are spoiled for choice. All the pubs will be full of Rugby League fans. Get the tram to the ground. I go out in Manchester fairly regularly. What are you particularly looking for?

BBC weather forecast for Saturday looks good. Sunday's forecast isn't up yet.

Manchester is absolutely packed with real ale pubs and restaurants of every description. You are spoiled for choice. All the pubs will be full of Rugby League fans. Get the tram to the ground. I go out in Manchester fairly regularly. What are you particularly looking for?

HI

we are just looking for a good night out and to make the most of the atmosphere. i've heard that canal street is quite a good area to go out in but we are staying central so quite flexible. any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Never rated Curry Mile myself, after living here nearly 9 years, pretty much everything I’ve had there has been a bit underwhelming (especially compared to Bradford!). That doesn’t mean there aren’t any decent curry spots in Manchester, but I’ve found you have to venture a little bit further for a bit more quality. Still plenty of good spots to eat central mind.

As for a night out, depends what you fancy but there is something for pretty much every taste. The Northern Quarter has a bit more of an indy bar vibe if you are into that sort of thing (a lot of decent food around there as well). But I think most RL fans will stick to the main pubs in town – around the town hall/deansgate area there should be a fair few of them. Enjoy it, it’ll be a cracking weekend for you guys I’m sure.

Last year we stayed at yha in deansgate/castlefield which is a cracking area down by the canals and railway arches, some nice pubs round there too....i work near canal st, not my cup of tea really but the northern quarter is very nice

try the mandarin chinese restaurant in the northern quarter 

What's the deal with drinking inside the fan zone outside of the stadium bowl? Can we bring our own alcohol into that bit?

Canal street is probably the most vibrant area. It is also in the middle of the gay village. Have a walk around. Across the road from the Gay village is Chinatown and if you like to eat Chinese I recommend the New Emporer. I like real ale myself and one of my favourite pubs is the City Arms, with the Vine right next to it. Look for the Oast house as well. Great selection of drinks and a really unusual building. A lot of the best pubs are hidden in side streets like the two I mentioned. Look for Sams chop house as well and maybe The Vine, Nags Head too.

Rusholme for a curry.

Deansgate Locks for bars.

Northern Quarter for hanging with the hipsters (Soup Kitchen a personal favourite - or Home Sweet Home for food and people watching)

Deaf Institute, Band on the Wall or  the Roadhouse for bands. Or go see Embrace at the Academy on Saturday night (same end of town as curry mile) - or the big punk night at the Ritz with the Damned, UK Subs, Angelic Upstarts and Goldblade.

Factory or South for clubbing (Clint Boon Djs at South).

Cinema/retail chain bars at the Printworks (though it's a bit 'Kev & Sharon' for me).

Or give this a go http://www.lovethedogs.co.uk/bellevue - always a surprisingly good night out!

What's the deal with drinking inside the fan zone outside of the stadium bowl? Can we bring our own alcohol into that bit?

yes, just had an email the top tier has been opened for the first time due to a surge in demand probably because we are set for a hot weekend.

Get yourself in Satan's Hollow on Saturday night. Amber will be in with the other emo kids.

Congratulations to you and your boyfriend for deciding to attend the Magic Weekend. I’ve been fortunate enough to attend the last 2 Magic Weekends with my family and it was a fantastic experience on both occasions, watching a whole round of Super League live, enjoying the fan zone and meeting fans from other parts of the UK. I’d recommend staying in a budget hotel, travelling to the ground early by tram and supporting the underdog if it’s not your team. You’ll both have brilliant time. I’m a bit jealous though as I can’t attend this year because of work.

Going to be busy this weekend in Manchester with the great run and street games plus the RL.