Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

audois

Carcassonne view Super League 2

54 posts in this topic

So Castleford might as well be called Wakefield ;)

I am sure Castleford benefit from Pontefract and Knottingley. 

...which are both in Wakefield as well.

Well we keep defaulting to narrow definitions of potential customer bases. As you say concentrating on the idea only people living in Castleford will support Castleford is quite wrong. I pick up on any anecdotal evidence I can on this sort of thing. Castleford benefit from people living in North West Leeds.

I wonder how many people living in Castleford do not come from Castleford? I wonder how many died in the wool Castleford people no longer live in Castleford? The big anecdotal story I remember came from years ago when we used to declare Fev the best supported club ever in terms of the percentage of the population that watched the club. One in seven Featherstone people supported Featherstone, better than Manchester United's support. 

But a poster called Cas Vegas once explained that he knew a number of Cas fans he'd meet at the ground and was hard pressed to think of any of them who actually lived in or came from  Castleford. That got me thinking as regards Hunslet and over the years I've bumped into many fans who have never lived or come from there. 

In recent years it's good to ask some fans at Leeds where they come from, where they live? Selby, York, Barnsley, Harrogate come to mind. But it's nothing to the anecdotal evidence of coachloads of North Wales people who arrive at Goodison Park every other week in the soccer season.

This clashes greatly with anecdotal evidence offered that suspiciously takes an unrealistic line like I don't know anyone from Keighley/Halifax who supports Bradford.  

I suggest if the facts were known and the circles were drawn they would all overlap each other to a massive extent, and I feel we would then see how many RL clubs along the M62 are chasing the same fans....

Well we keep defaulting to narrow definitions of potential customer bases. As you say concentrating on the idea only people living in Castleford will support Castleford is quite wrong. I pick up on any anecdotal evidence I can on this sort of thing. Castleford benefit from people living in North West Leeds.

I wonder how many people living in Castleford do not come from Castleford? I wonder how many died in the wool Castleford people no longer live in Castleford? The big anecdotal story I remember came from years ago when we used to declare Fev the best supported club ever in terms of the percentage of the population that watched the club. One in seven Featherstone people supported Featherstone, better than Manchester United's support. 

But a poster called Cas Vegas once explained that he knew a number of Cas fans he'd meet at the ground and was hard pressed to think of any of them who actually lived in or came from  Castleford. That got me thinking as regards Hunslet and over the years I've bumped into many fans who have never lived or come from there. 

In recent years it's good to ask some fans at Leeds where they come from, where they live? Selby, York, Barnsley, Harrogate come to mind. But it's nothing to the anecdotal evidence of coachloads of North Wales people who arrive at Goodison Park every other week in the soccer season.

This clashes greatly with anecdotal evidence offered that suspiciously takes an unrealistic line like I don't know anyone from Keighley/Halifax who supports Bradford.  

I suggest if the facts were known and the circles were drawn they would all overlap each other to a massive extent, and I feel we would then see how many RL clubs along the M62 are chasing the same fans....

Keighley are not on the M62, Bradford are. Keighley's catchment area runs to the north of the town into the Craven area as far as Skipton. Any fans here are not overlapping with anybody. Keighley, like York, are actually somewhat removed from the M62 corridor. Anecdotal or not the numbers of fans from Keighley going to Bradford will be minimal and next season there will not even be the lure of SL as a ruse to get them to travel as both teams will be in the same division.