Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

The Magic Weekend Match Thread

How many games will you watch?   48 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will you watch at the stadium or on TV?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • None

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

564 posts in this topic

Discuss all the games taking place in the First Utility Super League Magic Weekend at Etihad Stadium, Manchester, here:

SATURDAY 17th MAY

London Broncos v Catalan Dragons KO 12:30 (TV)
Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils KO 14:45 (TV)
Hull Kingston Rovers v Hull FC KO 17:00 (TV)
Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:15 (TV)

SUNDAY 18th MAY

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats v Castleford Tigers KO 12:30 (TV)
Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls KO 14:45 (TV)
Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 17:00 (TV)

Looking forward to a great weekend of League, unfortunately on tv. C'mon the Robins.

Hope we get a decent video ref!

London Broncos v Catalan Dragons - 2 underachievers (with Catalans not at home), so me might get a high score on both sides.
Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils - Wides looking to bounce back, Salford looking for a decent result.
Hull Kingston Rovers v Hull FC  - Hull derby, 'nuff said.
Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos - a peach of a fixture to finish the day.

I'm going for Saturday and will be cheering for Catalan Dragons.  I'll pick a side for each of the following game and go for Widnes, Hull FC and Leeds

Is anyone else wondering why the majority of amateur leagues have given clubs a free weekend to encourage players and supporters to attend the weekend, then in the same breath play Championship games in direct conflict with the competition?

Am I missing something, or is this yet another example of 'how not to run a competition?'

Is anyone else wondering why the majority of amateur leagues have given clubs a free weekend to encourage players and supporters to attend the weekend, then in the same breath play Championship games in direct conflict with the competition?

Am I missing something, or is this yet another example of 'how not to run a competition?'

I would suggest you are not missing something!

To make matters worse, the Championship clubs are all playing on the day that is proving less popular and therefore could have most done with a bit of a boost.

Last ear there were no Championship 1 fixtures so it meant that I could have attended both days. The previous year there were CH1 games on the Sunday.  There doesn't seem to be any consideration of conflicting interest at all. If they want to make it a showpiece event that the Magic Weekend should be the only games on.

Lee Radford's announced the Hull FC squad for this weekend...

Hull FC Squad: Carvell, Colbon, Crookes, Ellis, Hadley, Heremaia, Horne, Houghton, Miller, Paea, Paleaaesina, Rankin, Shaul, Talanoa, Thompson, Watts, Westerman, Whiting, Yeaman

He seems intent on destroying Ben Crooks' confidence whilst showing blind faith in Kirk Yeaman. Some players play only every other week and seem to be in rotation with other players who might have a slight dip in form.

Somebody asked me the other night if I'd take a derby defeat this weekend in exchange for Radford getting the sack.

I didn't even hesitate to think about it.

Wonder which team will get the "ref blunder" this time out?

I assume it's a marketing ploy now or something

Wonder which team will get the "ref blunder" this time out?

I assume it's a marketing ploy now or something

Which game is bentham doing?

Which game is bentham doing?

I think he's doing ours against Warrington but I'm not 100% sure.

More relevantly where is Ganson throughout the weekend.

Lee Radford's announced the Hull FC squad for this weekend...

Hull FC Squad: Carvell, Colbon, Crookes, Ellis, Hadley, Heremaia, Horne, Houghton, Miller, Paea, Paleaaesina, Rankin, Shaul, Talanoa, Thompson, Watts, Westerman, Whiting, Yeaman

He seems intent on destroying Ben Crooks' confidence whilst showing blind faith in Kirk Yeaman. Some players play only every other week and seem to be in rotation with other players who might have a slight dip in form.

Somebody asked me the other night if I'd take a derby defeat this weekend in exchange for Radford getting the sack.

I didn't even hesitate to think about it.

Radford reckoned he would drop out of form players regardless of reputation. Yeaman is a legend at hull but has been poor all season. Crooks should be given a game on the right wing he is at least quicker than crookes and colbon. I fear the worst and hope for the best. On the up side our pack is streets better than rovers

In hiding somewhere if he knows what's best for him!

I'm unlikely to be attending either day now. The only other one I have missed was Edinburgh in 2010. No one is free to go and Manchester isn't that far away to warrant staying over. Shame as at one point it was a must go, especially in Cardiff.

Watching the F.A. Cup Final.

can those voting none on the poll explain why  , out of interest?

In the London League, we've got the cup this weekend. No consideration for us down here!

Watching the F.A. Cup Final.

If only that were true. What harm could he do there?

Last ear there were no Championship 1 fixtures so it meant that I could have attended both days. The previous year there were CH1 games on the Sunday.  There doesn't seem to be any consideration of conflicting interest at all. If they want to make it a showpiece event that the Magic Weekend should be the only games on.

Its not as if they dont have loads of dates to play Championship matches. Clubs have lots of blank weekends.

I'm just recovering from the shock of learning that Nathan Brown has listed the same halfback pairing in the 19 for three consecutive weeks.  I can't remember the last time that happened ...

I wonder if we'll see a real increase, this year, in the number of fans who come into the stadium early to watch the match or matches on before their own club plays?

And/or, fans staying on after their club has played to watch the teams that follow their own.

It would be great if so.

Makes such a difference to the whole feel of a match; creates the `big occasion' atmosphere match; and not only in the stadium but for people watching at home.

Surely that must be one way we can help to persuade people new to the game, who have only ever experienced it on a TV screen, to take that next important step and get down (or up) to a Super League stadium at least once, on a sunny summer afternoon  or evening this season to experience the real thing.

Can't be beaten!

:yahoo:   :yahoo:   :yahoo: