Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

London Drifter

This Weekends Results 17th/18th May

38 posts in this topic

North East Results

17th NEA-D2 Miner RL 46-18 Consett Steelers 

17th NEA-D2 Gateshead Storm A 38-36 Peterlee Pumas A

17th NEA-D2 Warriors 18-50 Whitley Bay Barbarians

17th NEA-D1 Cramlington Rockets 34-36 Jarrow Vikings

17th NEA-D1 Gateshead Storm 38-20 Wallsend Eagles

10 teams played out of a possible 14

Skolars A should be in The Southern Conference really.

As for the rest, it is really a problem of critical mass - there aren't enough numbers to generate enough teams to give enough competitive divisions. There's a similar situation in the Midlands but we are just about hanging on.

I'm guessing with Skolars A & Hemel A it is the travel that detracts from Confrence League South (and playing on Sundays) they get a pretty good opposition in London Premier - it's just that step from 5 to 8 teams that has always been tough!!

If enough clubs were up for that you could use the old NL3 format where you play the teams in your region twice and out of your region once. I think it's most likely they'll build up London Premier to sit parallel to CLS though. You'd see more of the likes of Medway and perhaps Southampton and North Hertfordshire rather than Staines in such a league though.

I'm prepared to be shot down here, but just wondering,  is there any reason, apart from maybe travelling, that a joint London Prem and Eastern Prem would not work.  Play each team in your own Prem twice and once for the teams on the other premier league.  That would be a sixteen week season, plus a few cup games etc, would give clubs about a 20 week season.  Would they want it, is it do-able.

I'm prepared to be shot down here, but just wondering, is there any reason, apart from maybe travelling, that a joint London Prem and Eastern Prem would not work. Play each team in your own Prem twice and once for the teams on the other premier league. That would be a sixteen week season, plus a few cup games etc, would give clubs about a 20 week season. Would they want it, is it do-able.

Wouldn't work as too many clubs are just a RU kick around. A joint London, SE and East premier in one division with more games on the CLS format may work though

I'm prepared to be shot down here, but just wondering, is there any reason, apart from maybe travelling, that a joint London Prem and Eastern Prem would not work. Play each team in your own Prem twice and once for the teams on the other premier league. That would be a sixteen week season, plus a few cup games etc, would give clubs about a 20 week season. Would they want it, is it do-able.

I think a couple of East clubs could do it - North Herts & Bedford - while the step (at the moment) might be too far for the rest.

Bringing in Medway & maybe another from the South East could be the solution.

This would only work though if Bedford / North Herts / Medway second teams took their current position in their existing league.

Otherwise you strengthen one comp and weaken two!

London & South East Entry League

Eastern Rhinos 'A' 30 - 30 Billericay Rangers

What a great result for two teams in their first outing.

Some good news!!

London & South East Entry League

Eastern Rhinos 'A' 30 - 30 Billericay Rangers

What a great result for two teams in their first outing.

Some good news!!

See that North Herts-Bedford played a double header with 'A' teams in tow. 4 open age sides just has happened recently between Cadishead-Chester and earlier Bolton-Bury. Encouraging.

I think a couple of East clubs could do it - North Herts & Bedford - while the step (at the moment) might be too far for the rest.

Bringing in Medway & maybe another from the South East could be the solution.

This would only work though if Bedford / North Herts / Medway second teams took their current position in their existing league.

Otherwise you strengthen one comp and weaken two!

Bedford A might be ready to step up but I reckon someone like Cambridge or Brentwood would be better than North Herts A perhaps. Medway don't have an A team.

I've had a crazy format idea that might suit everyone's needs without upsetting the current status quo. It's so mad it might just work.

Let me think about it some more before I put it out there.

How can you start a team in Billericay and not call them the Billericay Dickies?  Anybody know who's got that going?

Spot on in my opinion LD. As someone who plays in the East League, I think I have a decent grasp of the standard and North Herts and Bedford are a cut above the other four clubs. St Ives are a decent bunch but massively rely on 2/3 blokes so don't compare to the other sides. Milton Keynes are improving whilst Southend are a slightly unknown quantity but look to be of a lesser standard than those four clubs already mentioned. We (Kings Lynn) on the otherhand can be decent or downright awful and are nowhere near the level of North Herts and Bedford.

How can you start a team in Billericay and not call them the Billericay Dickies? Anybody know who's got that going?

Billericay Rangers Rugby Union Club I believe.

London Entry League sees Hammersmith back in action and Esher's first game for the year.

2 positives.

Another positive is that South London Storm are entering the Brighton 9s, and are in the process of arranging two or three friendlies.  ;)  

Did no one tackle in the Gloucester game. Taking into account a few penalties and knock on's there can't have been that many full sets of 6

I was at the other game in Oxford (it was actually 44-18) but apparently the A team game was played 11-a-side… hence the space on the pitch and the ludicrous scoreline. Lots of players new to RL on both sides.

No excuse for our first team. Our defence was just poor, certainly in the second half.