Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M Hopkins

Best game of the season so far

60 posts in this topic

As previously stated I like Batley, unfortunately no matter what teams go through to get to the top, there Is always somebody willing to try and knock you down. Last year we all disliked Fev.....

Is that the royal "we", or just you Leythers? No one round here dislikes Fev, I'm fairly sure of that.

Is that the royal "we", or just you Leythers? No one round here dislikes Fev, I'm fairly sure of that.

"around here"

As previously stated I like Batley, unfortunately no matter what teams go through to get to the top, there Is always somebody willing to try and knock you down. Last year we all disliked Fev, this year its Leigh, I was a bit jealous when you guys knocked us out of the playoffs every time over the previous few years.

How times change...................

As previously stated I like Batley, unfortunately no matter what teams go through to get to the top, there Is always somebody willing to try and knock you down. Last year we all disliked Fev, this year its Leigh, I was a bit jealous when you guys knocked us out of the playoffs every time over the previous few years.

I find trolling like this both unnecessary and amusing.

2006. We knock Leigh out of the play offs in ending thier chances of bouncing straight back into Super League after being relegated with a colossal 5 points.

2009. Batley stayed up and sent Leigh down to what is now 'Championship 1' on there last day of the season. Only Gateshead's mismanagement and a more than generous ruling by the RFL allowed them to stay up.

2010. A Grand Final appearance or Northern Rail Cup victory needed to apply for a SL License, Batley pull down Leigh's very expensively assembled underpants in the NRC semi at the LSV ending thier SL dreams.

2013. Batley pull down Leigh's expensively assembled y-fronts yet again at the LSV with a golden point victory to heart breakingly end their season.

Nothing to gloat about yet old sport, still just a small town in Wigan. Just a touch bitter about 'little' Batley I reckon.

Get back to life under your bridge you sorry little troll.

Well done today.

It was a great performance from everybody who wore the shirt.

One or two poor decisions from the man in the middle, but it was in my opinion by far the best performance so far this season.

Onwards and upwards.

Most enjoyable game of the year so far. A terrific effort and so, so close. Need a lot, lot more in the oppostion 20 with ball in hand.

Wishful thinking maybe, although Misi Talapapa - horrible and deliberate cannon ball shot on Alex Brown kidneys. Pushed Griffin out onto the wing and he would have gobbled up the chance Chandler nearly took.

Effort like that for the rest of the season and we should be okay, but we desperately need to sharpen up our attacking execution and do so quickly.

I think we need to further up our attacking game Terry, but this is the closest we've come to beating our bogey side in years. I don't think it's desperate, I think it's naturally evolving, especially with Black back. Getting local lad Keegan on board might have seemed like an odd move, but he's an absolute handful and I'd never properly appreciated his defensive qualities before. I'm massively confident we'll do Swinton next week.

"around here"

Sorry, it's Yorkshire dialect. I know the people on the wrong side of the Pennines might long for that identity and heritage but I can't help that. :)

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.  You need to be made aware that your own punctuation and grammar is not of a standard that entitles you to criticise the English of others. Just for starters, your first phrase should read "As previously stated, I like Batley".  Also, Batley in that context, without further qualification, would automatically be taken, by the proficient reader of English, to refer to the place Batley.  Ironic isn't it?

And...."I will just put it down to you being so angry"....should read "youR being so angry"

It's perhaps not a bad idea to run your response through a spelling & grammar check when you're criticizing someone else's "GOOD ENGLAND" (???!!!!). I'd also suggest a semi-colon, at minimum, between "England" and "I will...", although that's perhaps a bit waspand of me.

And this is a Dewsbury fan defending a Batley fan.

We may spend the bulk of our time knocking, even viciously insulting, one another's teams, but we do tend to come together when some Tudor supporter, from "T'wrong side utt Pennines", starts to interfere in our post-Plantagenet incestuous squabbles. My old French teacher was a Lancastrian, that's why, to this day, I have so many problems conversing with our ungrateful southern neighbours across La Manche, who have such a phobia about speaking England!  No, I'm not xenophobic, I just don't trust incomers.

Swinggg it to the  winggger!

I find trolling like this both unnecessary and amusing.

2006. We knock Leigh out of the play offs in ending thier chances of bouncing straight back into Super League after being relegated with a colossal 5 points.

2009. Batley stayed up and sent Leigh down to what is now 'Championship 1' on there last day of the season. Only Gateshead's mismanagement and a more than generous ruling by the RFL allowed them to stay up.

2010. A Grand Final appearance or Northern Rail Cup victory needed to apply for a SL License, Batley pull down Leigh's very expensively assembled underpants in the NRC semi at the LSV ending thier SL dreams.

2013. Batley pull down Leigh's expensively assembled y-fronts yet again at the LSV with a golden point victory to heart breakingly end their season.

Nothing to gloat about yet old sport, still just a small town in Wigan. Just a touch bitter about 'little' Batley I reckon.

Get back to life under your bridge you sorry little troll.

Mainly correct on the facts except 2013's squad being expensive - it certainly was not and probably less than yours, that's the year our owners sold our soul and went with a tiny squad on the basis that to get out of the mess from 2011 saving money was the only option.

The great news is that this years expensively assembled squad still has cap space if needed, and we have well over 2000 paying to watch, thats about 4 of your current home gates btw

You, the town of Batley, really need to back the efforts of that very honourable chairman of years in greater numbers before its too late

I agree we do need to get behind our chairman, coach, and players.

Mainly correct on the facts except 2013's squad being expensive - it certainly was not and probably less than yours, that's the year our owners sold our soul and went with a tiny squad on the basis that to get out of the mess from 2011 saving money was the only option.

The great news is that this years expensively assembled squad still has cap space if needed, and we have well over 2000 paying to watch, thats about 4 of your current home gates btw

You, the town of Batley, really need to back the efforts of that very honourable chairman of years in greater numbers before its too late

Your right Craig, we dont need to get involved with other teams arguments about your game, good luck but onwards and upwards for the Bulldogs.

Very pleased with the effort and commitment of the players, but the lack of finishing ability is still a bit worrying - Sheffield were very poor and there for the taking but we seemed pretty clueless as usual near the line.

Is Scott Leatherbarrow as bad a scrum half as he appears, or does he just lack confidence?

Overall very pleased as its that kind of effort that could keep us up, but our lack of quality near the line could prove our undoing.

Massive 6 pointer next week, lets hope for more of the same effort.

Is Scott Leatherbarrow as bad a scrum half as he appears, or does he just lack confidence?

If he didn't lack confidence before, he will now.  I often feel some sympathy for your views, BTJ, but the kind of comment quoted above is simply self-fulfilling and cannot help in any way.  Naming someone as a bad player can hardly fill them with self-confidence or motivation.

much improved performance in terms of intensity thought every player gave his all in sweltering conditions. it felt good to be a batley fan again and the players looked fitter and more aggressive in defence. keep up the good work lads performances like that will bring wins and much needed points to climb back up the table. 

If he didn't lack confidence before, he will now.  I often feel some sympathy for your views, BTJ, but the kind of comment quoted above is simply self-fulfilling and cannot help in any way.  Naming someone as a bad player can hardly fill them with self-confidence or motivation.

cant see the point bulling players up if there  not putting in the effort,i wernt sure on leatherbarrow as at the keighley game end a last season when he knew he were coming to us he should have had a blinding game but he looked well out of sorts, his constand dinks over to nobody in some a the games got tiresome and he looked naff at times, BUT hes starting to come along and try different things now blackies back to aim him a bit so i think he will be ok, also they looked a lot better yesterday as a unit and really put 100% into the game so that will do me, i doubt whats said on here gets players down and to be fair best way to shut folks up is to simply go out and have a massive game, i did hear a lot a fans shouting that we rubbish up near the doghouse and dont know were that came from after the effort put in by the whole squad, only thing missing was a couple a decent plays in the 20 to have a players deeper and more pace so as to score,i know keegan had a decent game but his fairure to play the ball correctly gave eagles the ball and they scored 2 plays later,all little things that if they stay together now might just kick on once jc is back am sure we will be ok,one minute were told dont look as were not getting nobody else in this season then were told another ball handlers on his way back to us so who knows what the nest few games will bring,  proud to be a dog fan yesterday and winning aint everything. :bb::download:

Well said Olddoggy. We need to be backing the players, not trying to humiliate them on a public forum.

If he didn't lack confidence before, he will now. I often feel some sympathy for your views, BTJ, but the kind of comment quoted above is simply self-fulfilling and cannot help in any way. Naming someone as a bad player can hardly fill them with self-confidence or motivation.

I wasnt aware we were no longer allowed to debate the form of individual players any more.

When did this rule change?

This thread is about the game yesterday and IMO he was by far the weakest link in the team yesterday, and as i pay my money im entitled to mention it.

So far this season Its unclear to me whether he is simply low on confidence or not good enough at this level, so i was merely opening it up for discussion.

I cant be the only one who's noticed this.

Well said Olddoggy. We need to be backing the players, not trying to humiliate them on a public forum.

How is that 'humiliating' anyone? Its merely an observation.

I agree with much of the thread. We looked aggressive all game, got in their faces, and felt that we had somebody in control on the pitch (Blacky). It was much, much better. However, I never really saw us winning, and had that familiar Sheffield feeling when we took the 2 points in the first half - did we knock on from the restart too?

We are so frustrating near their line, we threw it out wide once and scored, and on another occasion Breth looked to have dropped a real chance. Otherwise, it was just the usual down the middle. Our high kicks looked dangerous yesterday, but after weeks of rain and wind and the kicks into space, the bomb looks a lot less threatening in sunshine.

Its going to take some big performances quickly to avoid the relegation scrap come August time. Nearly every side got a point yesterday, and every game has the look of a real battle. Looking forward to another trip to LSV though next week, 3 points and no bonus points allowed please.

i thought Leatherbarrow played ok this week. he took the line on more than usual. I think he will be ok now Blackie is back..

I also heard an old guy moaning that we deserve to go down if we stand by Kear and his team, and that he was glad he doesnt pay in anymore?? what is that all about? We dont need fans like that especially when they dont even pay their way (and clearly didnt watch the game and/or see the effort).

and dont give me that rubbish that he might have payed for 40 years. My grandad still pays his way (Home and Away) and he's 85 and been watching batley every year since he was about 6 years old.

If we play like we did this sunday every week I believe we could be looking at maybe 6 wins out of the next 7 games?

BTJ - on most of your threads  you are criticising somone , not saying you aren't allowed a debate... but the lad will come good now Blackie who has plenty of experience at side of him is back plus with forwards starting to dominate which allows the half backs a bit more space to weave some magic as until last two games in most games our forwards were getting monstered.

BTW would your confidence be on the positive if there was a public forum that allowed your workmates or anyone that could see what work you were doing and was critical of your every move and saying you shouldn't be in the job and that you was ######  ... think on

Thank you Redditch bulldog...my sentiment exactly.

BTJ - on most of your threads you are criticising somone , not saying you aren't allowed a debate... but the lad will come good now Blackie who has plenty of experience at side of him is back plus with forwards starting to dominate which allows the half backs a bit more space to weave some magic as until last two games in most games our forwards were getting monstered.

BTW would your confidence be on the positive if there was a public forum that allowed your workmates or anyone that could see what work you were doing and was critical of your every move and saying you shouldn't be in the job and that you was ###### ... think on

Id argue that it comes with the territory of being a professional sportsman and if you look on all the forums of other clubs in all sports, you'll find numerous threads discussing the ability of players.

Id also argue im not over critical, just a realist and say it how i see it and am honest and forthright in my views.

My opinion is based on him as a rugby player, not as a person, im sure hes a nice lad - i think you are confusing this somewhat.

Anyway back to the actual topic - Pleased we are showing signs of improvement and hope Leatherbarrow gets better as the weeks go by.

Was talking to someone today who heard touch judge shout 5th and last before sheffield scored there 3rd try. Merrick chose to ignore the call and allowed them a extra tackle to score what turned out to be the winning try.best perormance of the season unlucky not to win effort and comitment in a plenty just let down by poor officals again the only down side to a excellent performance .

It isn't up to the touch judge to shout what tackle it is. The ref will have known what tackle it was.