Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Havenwarrior

Photographer

53 posts in this topic

Well I got a positive reply from the RFL, and hopefully can get sorted.

Even got an email from John Ledger who mailed me after reading this thread.

So the RFL do read what us fans think and say.

HW

Wilkinsons are official RFL photographers and have 3 guys at the big games with one of them specifically looking for "arty" type photos for use by the RFL in future ad campaigns, even i had taken that photo no one would ever have bought it so whats the point.

Wilkinsons thmselves are partly responsible for other guys struggling to make a living, a few years ago during the 4 nations over here with Aus and Nz wilkinsons got the blessing of RFL themselves to gve away every image they took free of charge, Wilkinsons were happy, the RFL paid them, the papers were happy, they got every single image they printed free, guess who were the only ones to lose out

So the RFL pay Wilkinsons to take photos and distribute them free of charge to the media, in turn giving the game and the competition more and better exposure than you would imagine it would otherwise get, and that's a bad thing because it affected your ability to make money.

I can appreciate that perspective, and maybe that whatever the RFL thought they'd get from it didn't work out as well as they'd hoped, but I don't understand why you fault Wilkinsons for the situation and not the RFL - the organisation that agreed to it. Were the RFL blackmailed by Wilkinsons? No. The RFL agreed to it of their own free will. How is anyone but the RFL responsible.

Why slam Wilkinsons and not the RFL?

Read it again, i said Wilkinsons were only "partly responsible" and did even mention the RFL in my post as well, nothing like being one eyed i suppose, the very first thing any budding or even established photographer has drilled into his head when he takes up covering RL is to never give anything away for free as it devalues yours and everyone elses work, theres little enough money in the game as it, how the hell do you think the trade papers have been able to drastically reduce what they pay for photographs, theyve dropped down from £30 an image to a measly £12. they wont even pay for stuff from Championship or Amateur games because johnny on the sidelines gives it away for free, thats the same Johnny who in a few years time will be wondering why theres no money in the game.

One thing the Wilkinsons deal didnt do was to give the game and the competition more and better exposure than you would imagine it would otherwise get, it did exactly the opposite, every newspaper ran with exactly the same images, theres nothing like sifting through the papers on a Monday morning to see everyone is exactly the same, to be fair, i dont think it's something that will be done again, even the big agencies were up in arms over it as they had to pay some guys who work on commission for covering a game without the agencies standing even the smallest chance of trying to make a few quid

Cest la vie