Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

So will Jeopardy - Bradford v Wakefield - see a bumper crowd next week?

628 posts in this topic

So this is one of those defining fixtures of the year - one that is supposed to get the fans excited. Will it result in a big build up and higher than average crowd for Bradford? Or will the home fans stay away (because Bradford are on a horror run) and the visiting fans not travel in numbers?

It is either an attractive fixture or not. How do fans of both clubs feel ahead of this game? This is what we were told fans were asking for - jeopardy.

Been in a similar situation with Cas so I know it can get the pulse racing.

This one, however, feels a bit strange.

Both sets of fans are unhappy, especially the Bulls. With so much of the season left it shouldn't really be a 4 pointer but if the Bulls lose it's hard to see them turning if around based on their last few games.

It must also be tough for both sets of fans to see Cas doing so well without throwing money at it. We've suffered relegation in recent times but learnt lessons from it.

There is hope there somewhere....

No - it'll be absolutely dreadful.

No real jeopardy is there - Bradford are essentially already down - due to points difference we have to win 5 to go above Wakey before factoring in anymore wins they will get. Going on the first half of the season that'll be about 3-5. So Bradford have to win 8-11 from the remaining 13 - so basically playoff form. Bradford won't win 5 more all season, I guarantee that.

Same fixture last year got 10k - bit of a bounce as it was the first game of the season. We'll be lucky to get anywhere near that IMO.

I don't think it says anything for P/R really - Bradford's fate has been decided off the field by the people who have run the club in the past decade.

Been in a similar situation with Cas so I know it can get the pulse racing.

This one, however, feels a bit strange.

Both sets of fans are unhappy, especially the Bulls. With so much of the season left it shouldn't really be a 4 pointer but if the Bulls lose it's hard to see them turning if around based on their last few games.

It must also be tough for both sets of fans to see Cas doing so well without throwing money at it. We've suffered relegation in recent times but learnt lessons from it.

Interesting first point. It appears that both sets of fans seemed so disillusioned with recent performances that this one may be difficult to get pumped up for - even if it is a relegation 4-pointer. Unlike football, rugby is such a brutal game that you can get whacked week-in week-out if you are playing badly. So perhaps it creates a different mind set when battling relegation?

Can't speak for everyone else - but even if we win next week it'll give me zero hope unless we somehow won by 80.

That won't be decided until the week after this game (plus we won't get any back anyway).

If the hearing was before the game, it would maybe have had the chance of getting a bumper crowd.

As it stands now, there's no jeopardy at all. The OP clearly just wants to have a shot at P/R.

If the hearing was before the game, it would maybe have had the chance of getting a bumper crowd.

As it stands now, there's no jeopardy at all. The OP clearly just wants to have a shot at P/R.

That's not true. If you read my second post I added that, unlike football, RL clubs struggling at the bottom can cop some fearful hidings and this tests the enthusiasm of even the hardiest of fans. Both clubs have been flogged over the last few weeks and it could make it hard for supporters to get up for a relegation 4-pointer - even if it is the most important game of the season.

This is why IMO jeopardy doesn't necessarily equate to bigger crowds for basement battle games. Whether we should promote and relegate clubs is a completely different argument.

the problem with this game and 'jeopardy' this season is that one club has essentially got to run on one leg. there isn't much jeopardy in this - bradford are basically relegated.

This isnt what people voted for. People who dislike the new system will use this as a reason to bash it though, no doubt.

It's more to do with hope than anything else. Virtually everyone has none left and the only ones still going are doing so out of habit/loyalty. And that's why the crowd will be poor.

This isnt what people voted for. People who dislike the new system will use this as a reason to bash it though, no doubt.

I am not against two sides going down this season or relegation on principle. It was the premise that this creates excitement for the fans. My experience watching RL over many years tells me that following struggling teams is a miserable existence for many fans and numbers drop away dramatically before we get anywhere near the crucial 4-pointer games. The jeopardy = excitement = crowds idea in RL is flawed.

but this is a flawed argument against it. this is not and never was a real 4-pointer, due to events off the pitch

In any case, this is not what they have voted for. They are looking for jeopordy at the end of the season. Not in rd15 where crowds are average.

I am not against two sides going down this season or relegation on principle. It was the premise that this creates excitement for the fans. My experience watching RL over many years tells me that following struggling teams is a miserable existence for many fans and numbers drop away dramatically before we get anywhere near the crucial 4-pointer games. The jeopardy = excitement = crowds idea in RL is flawed.

but we havent voted this system in. Ill wait and give it a few yrs to judge rather than a game after rd 15 versus teams 8 pts apart.

But wasn't one of the reasons for bringing back P&R to 'make things interesting all year'. As it stands people are still picking and choosing games so what's changed in reality?

But wasn't one of the reasons for bringing back P&R to 'make things interesting all year'. As it stands people are still picking and choosing games so what's changed in reality?

this is not what they voted for. They voted against this system.

this is not what they voted for. They voted against this system.

Well whatever Dave. The point is we have relegation this year and the argument was that people would be more likely to attend as every game means something. There are still one sided boring games that aren't pulling in big crowds so I aren't sure it has made any difference.

With London v Hull FC also on the same weekend, it could start giving clues as to who will be nervous towards the season end.

Sometimes there are foregone conclusion relegation scenarios like this year. This will not lead to increased attendances because of jeopardy because there is no jeopardy this season. The Bulls and the Broncos are toast and no other team is in jeopardy.

If there were four teams separated by 6 points and two were going down, then fixtures between the four and between the four and other teams in the division would have huge repercussions for the relegation struggle and then there should be some decent attendances especially towards the end of the season when every result and every league point lost or gained would have a bearing on who stayed up and who went down. The jeopardy of the teams involved should have a bearing on these attendances.

Sometimes there are foregone conclusion relegation scenarios like this year. This will not lead to increased attendances because of jeopardy because there is no jeopardy this season. The Bulls and the Broncos are toast and no other team is in jeopardy.

If there were four teams separated by 6 points and two were going down, then fixtures between the four and between the four and other teams in the division would have huge repercussions for the relegation struggle and then there should be some decent attendances especially towards the end of the season when every result and every league point lost or gained would have a bearing on who stayed up and who went down. The jeopardy of the teams involved should have a bearing on these attendances.

Maybe, provided like football you have a lot of fans to begin with and plenty who will turn up to see an unpredictable game. But who besides a totally mad for it RL fan will turn up to watch a poor team get 50-60-70 put past them? It's totally boring even for a RL fan. It's completely and utterly pointless to say 'soccer does this or that' 'not the British way' etc etc because RL has its own unique challenges and problems.

After the Warrington game Bradford should have been locking them out for the next game against Saints. But they weren't, I don't envisage the turnstiles wearing out against Wakey either 

I'm not against P&R but I don't believe abandoning it will advance the game either, it should have been done properly.

Maybe, provided like football you have a lot of fans to begin with and plenty who will turn up to see an unpredictable game. But who besides a totally mad for it RL fan will turn up to watch a poor team get 50-60-70 put past them? It's totally boring even for a RL fan. It's completely and utterly pointless to say 'soccer does this or that' 'not the British way' etc etc because RL has its own unique challenges and problems.

After the Warrington game Bradford should have been locking them out for the next game against Saints. But they weren't, I don't envisage the turnstiles wearing out against Wakey either 

I'm not against P&R but I don't believe abandoning it will advance the game either, it should have been done properly.

Bradford are doomed. As you say the speccies won't turn out to watch a hammering, thus the lack of a decent crowd against Saints. There will be a poor crowd against Wakefield also because of the lost cause spectre haunting the Bulls. If Trinity and the Bulls were only 2 points apart I would bet the crowd would be better than it will be with things as they are.

I agree totally that proper p and r would have been better, but we have to play the hand we are dealt. The other side of relegation , of course, is promotion and I think , next season, the games between the top teams vying for promotion will see increased attendances, so it's swings and roundabouts.

The other side of relegation , of course, is promotion and I think , next season, the games between the top teams vying for promotion will see increased attendances, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Will it though? Personally I think the promotion race is so loaded in favour the teams that will be in Super League come the end of 2014, that although there may be a rise in 2015, I soon think fans will figure out it's an exercise in maintaining the status quo very quickly. People say the Bulls will bounce back straight away, but I think we have no chance of that personally. If other current Championship clubs think they might prosper, that's fine. Personally I'm sceptical any of them will (not because I don't want them to, mind)

That's not true. If you read my second post I added that, unlike football, RL clubs struggling at the bottom can cop some fearful hidings and this tests the enthusiasm of even the hardiest of fans. Both clubs have been flogged over the last few weeks and it could make it hard for supporters to get up for a relegation 4-pointer - even if it is the most important game of the season.

This is why IMO jeopardy doesn't necessarily equate to bigger crowds for basement battle games. Whether we should promote and relegate clubs is a completely different argument.

No, it is true. You're clearly using this game as some way to springboard your opinion on P&R and jeopardy, as the rest of your post clearly shows.

This game isn't jeopardy. When one club is the poorest club SL has ever had and the other club have had 6 points taken off them and are adrift by 8 points, the rest of the clubs aren't in jeopardy. They're safe.

Any arguments about jeopardy this year are clearly by people that want to have a pop at it. No one with a balanced view would claim that there is any significant jeopardy involved anymore to be able to prove a point.