Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

So will Jeopardy - Bradford v Wakefield - see a bumper crowd next week?

628 posts in this topic

So far on t'other messageboard it's a bit of an in-house mud slinging contest over which side is the most rubbishest. Both supporters are sticking to their guns that the other team will win.

It's cute really; "you'll win", "no, you hang up".

:wub:

Anyone coined the term "a real four pointer" yet??!!. 1st chance for Super league in many a season to show off the "Jeopardy" that it wants to bring back to our game.

There is no jeopardy in operation in SL this season - the existence of the two basket-case clubs (London and Bradford) who are an acute embarrassment to the sport has ensured that. Good riddance to both.  

On the topic of Wakefield's dwindling home attendances, what appears to have been overlooked is the cost of their season tickets in 2014. Wakefield averaged around 8K in 2012 and 2013 which just happened to coincide with their season tickets being heavily discounted at between £100 and £125 for adults and considerably less for oap's/concessions and juniors. Season tickets were also available for £50 for young adults up to the age of 21. It's therefore no coincidence their attendances in 2014 should witness a dramatic decline (currently below 4.5K) in a year where huge discounts on season tickets were withdrawn and the cheapest adult season tickets were priced at £205.

The same happened at Bradford. Their home attendance average was almost 14K in 2011 on the back of selling adult season tickets for the knock-down price of £60. Crowds were down to under 12K in 2012 when they were priced at £85 to be followed by an even bigger decline down to 8.5K in 2013 when the massive discounts were withdrawn and season tickets priced at £180. 

The bumper crowds at the RLWC last year were built on a cheap pricing structure which had a plethora of 50% discount codes applied to them so that fans were paying no more than £5 to £10 for tickets.

Having said all that, I doubt the Bradford/Wakey fixture on Sunday could entice a bumper attendance on Sunday even if admission was FREE! 

Anyone coined the term "a real four pointer" yet??!!. 1st chance for Super league in many a season to show off the "Jeopardy" that it wants to bring back to our game.

Problem is that it needs to be an 8 pointer to become interesting!

Actually, one question that may be more relevant.

If Bradford hadn't been punished and were on 6 points, and Wakey on 8 - do people think this would attract a bigger crowd than it will?

Actually, one question that may be more relevant.

If Bradford hadn't been punished and were on 6 points, and Wakey on 8 - do people think this would attract a bigger crowd than it will?

Almost definitely! Not by loads though.

Although without the points deduction I think we’d be on more than 6 points, purely because such it’s created such a negative atmosphere around the club and I think negativity breeds negativity especially as it’s been hanging around in spades for over two years.

Can never say for sure, of course, but had the RFL deducted no points we wouldn’t have lost the previous owners for one and who knows who we may or may not have brought in playing wise (or crucially, not lost – Scruton maybe for one).

I’d also like to say at this point that I'm not saying we shouldn’t have been punished, I’m just looking at the what ifs (I have a feeling us Bulls fans will be looking at the what ifs for decades to come).

To make things simple though – if we presume we hadn’t been docked points and everything else panned out exactly the same, I don’t know if I’d expect a “bumper” crowd. Certainly a boosted one, but both sides have been playing so shockingly it’s hard to tell. You’d hope Bradford at least would have put up some more fight in a couple of recent games, but maybe – mentally – they have already relegated themselves.

But wasn't one of the reasons for bringing back P&R to 'make things interesting all year'. As it stands people are still picking and choosing games so what's changed in reality?

This was exactly what was meant to happen.  Every game to mean something.

This was exactly what was meant to happen. Every game to mean something.

Big difference between this year and next year for particular cases were a SL club wins few if any games. This year, a club could be mathematically down by the last quarter of the season. Next year a club is not defo down and has the 3x8 to look foward to

This was exactly what was meant to happen. Every game to mean something.

it will make many more games mean something in theory. As things stand, it is a foregone conclusion at the bottom, but next year the 9th and 10th placed teams are dragged into the relegation issue. As are 7th and 8th.

You then have the top 6 or so of the lower division battling.

This may not work and may be seen as too manufactured, but it is very clear why the point has been made for more meaningful games.

Both sets of supporters are as disillusioned as each other, were Bradford on 6 points rather than 0 it wouldn't make Sunday's game any more appealing, well not to me. It's no fun watching Trinity at the moment, to compound that by watching them play a team equally terrible isn't something I'm desperate to witness.

Loads of jeopardy next season and not just for the bottom two clubs in sl

what i cant get my head round is that wakefield were threatened with relegation if they went into admin again and yet bradford have been given a lifeling by the right of appeal against the points deduction 

Plenty of opportunity for jeopardy if Bradford get their points back on Monday. Only played out in court not on the pitch as the lawyers from the bottom few clubs make their move. Will they won't they be gifted their points? More fun than a meaningless league game as it stands just now.

Hopefully this weekend Bratfurt will stuff Wakey and London will beat Hull - then London will snaffle a win a Belle Vue next week

Hopefully this weekend Bratfurt will stuff Wakey and London will beat Hull - then London will snaffle a win a Belle Vue next week

You think that would make a difference?

what i cant get my head round is that wakefield were threatened with relegation if they went into admin again...

"Apparently".

...and yet bradford have been given a lifeling by the right of appeal against the points deduction 

Let's save that for next week at least!

what i cant get my head round is that wakefield were threatened with relegation if they went into admin again and yet bradford have been given a lifeling by the right of appeal against the points deduction

Well the RFL have never officially said anything about Wakefield being threatened with relegation not surprisingly. I'm not entirely sure from Wakefield's POV, but there is a lot gone not officially reported about Bradford's administration and the RFL, and it wasn't exactly them giving the club a helping hand. Consistency is hardly a word associated with the RFL when it comes to administration - look at the docked Sky money.

The right to appeal is actually in the bi-laws I believe, hardly special dispensation. Also it was the administrators who applied for it, not the current owners, as it was believed it would help make the club more attractive to buyers - that's how "quickly" this whole thing has come to pass. Personally I don't think we'll get anything back, but if you are going to have the process at all, why drag it out. You come a crucial game like Sunday's and have no idea what either side is playing for.

Yes! Cheer up - plenty time left this season

Have you seen Bradford play once this year?

have twice and they were  

Well the RFL have never officially said anything about Wakefield being threatened with relegation not surprisingly. I'm not entirely sure from Wakefield's POV, but there is a lot gone not officially reported about Bradford's administration and the RFL, and it wasn't exactly them giving the club a helping hand. Consistency is hardly a word associated with the RFL when it comes to administration - look at the docked Sky money.

The right to appeal is actually in the bi-laws I believe, hardly special dispensation. Also it was the administrators who applied for it, not the current owners, as it was believed it would help make the club more attractive to buyers - that's how "quickly" this whole thing has come to pass. Personally I don't think we'll get anything back, but if you are going to have the process at all, why drag it out. You come a crucial game like Sunday's and have no idea what either side is playing for.

I thought that too until I read the Whitcut statement.  If what he is saying is true, and believed to be true by the panel, then it's possible we might get all the points back.  The panel can only come to one of two conclusions:

1. The points deduction is not valid = all the points back

2. The points deduction is valid = a. level of punishment correct so no points back, or b. too harsh, so some points back

As I understand what is being said by Whitcut, and I accept I might have got it wrong as it's getting dastardly complex:

Allegedly the RFL essentially instructed the last board to go into admin for them to avoid paying monies to OK even though they didn't really need to.  On acting on that instruction the RFL then suddenly 'pulled the rabbit out of the hat' re the six points / special measures on the new board, neither of which were mentioned at the time of the admin instruction.  Had these two 'hidden' penalties been revealed at the point of instruction then the previous board may have decided not to go into Admin.  If this is true, or the panel believe it to be true, then we should quite rightly get all six points back together with an investigation into the handling of this by the RFL.

As I see it at the moment people at the RFL could be in quite a bit of bother if the above is correct. Plus, if we do go down then, they will have created a situation whereby they own the remainder of a long lease at Odsal with potentially no tenant.

I thought that too until I read the Whitcut statement. If what he is saying is true, and believed to be true by the panel, then it's possible we might get all the points back. The panel can only come to one of two conclusions:

1. The points deduction is not valid = all the points back

2. The points deduction is valid = a. level of punishment correct so no points back, or b. too harsh, so some points back

As I understand what is being said by Whitcut, and I accept I might have got it wrong as it's getting dastardly complex:

Allegedly the RFL essentially instructed the last board to go into admin for them to avoid paying monies to OK even though they didn't really need to. On acting on that instruction the RFL then suddenly 'pulled the rabbit out of the hat' re the six points / special measures on the new board, neither of which were mentioned at the time of the admin instruction. Had these two 'hidden' penalties been revealed at the point of instruction then the previous board may have decided not to go into Admin. If this is true, or the panel believe it to be true, then we should quite rightly get all six points back together with an investigation into the handling of this by the RFL.

As I see it at the moment people at the RFL could be in quite a bit of bother if the above is correct. Plus, if we do go down then, they will have created a situation whereby they own the remainder of a long lease at Odsal with potentially no tenant.

Was it not Marc Green who put the Bulls into administration?

I do believe the RFL's hands are dirty in this sorry tale.

It could turn out to be an error strewn bottom end table clash!! Which is what it is, both clubs are still suffering from previous regime's failings and will continue to do so for many a year.

Was it not Marc Green who put the Bulls into administration?

I do believe the RFL's hands are dirty in this sorry tale.

That is certainly one version of events, and the one Konkrete posted is another. Both have elements of truth around them, but I don't think we'll ever know "The Truth" and that's the most frustrating thing of all.

I've said before there is a massive story there - perhaps with the RFL, I too believe their hands are dirty - just waiting to be uncovered. Sadly I don't think we'll come close to knowing it for decades, and by that time no real justice will have been done. This isn't paranoia or bitterness - I've accepted what will be will be in terms of the club - but I don't believe the RFL are whiter than white, and I think previous employees of the club have gotten away with murder.