Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blind side johnny

Dewsbury 48 Swinton 6 - discussion, highlights

206 posts in this topic

The bike processioin is on both the 5th and 6th.simples ,watch the bikes on Saturday and then the proper sport on sunday

The bike processioin is on both the 5th and 6th.simples ,watch the bikes on Saturday and then the proper sport on sunday

Do you have maps in your house?

That wasn't the point of my OP Chris. i will miss the match if it is on the 6th but, as I'm a season ticket holder, the club won't be worse off and that's OK in my book. My concern is that the club faces hosting a match in front of a very low turnout, which does concern me.

We struggled to attract 700 on Sunday with good away support - in early July with a competing world event on our doorstep and a modest turnout from Swinton fans we would struggle even more. i was simply making a suggestion that the club might consider a pre-emptive move.

I know what your saying mate, and I'm in same boat as you if we play Friday instead of Sunday. Crusaders brought 1 coach load of 50 and about 20 in cars. That's what their fans said in the bar after match because they all stood together at the top side of the southstand and all got behind their team, which proves what we could all do if the supporters at the back of the southstand sang.. wasn't many of them but boy, they made some great noise. They had no fans at all in the north stand. Best away fans by far for noise :) Swinton will bring about 20 to 50, if that. Heres a thing, whatever the club do, why don't we make it bring a friend for free for season ticket holders, or bring a mate for a fiver?? Which ever night we play? We've nothing to lose doing it against Swinton. We had 638 home fans at Sundays match with no curtain raiser that usualy adds about between 80 to 100 on gate and afew faces missing due to holidays or whatever. We ain't batley just yet, but the club should be doing more to get fans in and I honestly believe we will miss out on a few hundred if we don't do bring a mate for a fiver like afew seasons ago. Bring a mate for a fiver v Sheffield got us a crowd of 1100 at home... 700 last season I'm afraid, without the offer...

whats the TdF , am i missing something ?

here's a man who may know what's happening for the Swinton game.. Or could push for an official statement ;) GFDU, over to you..

Depends where your going dont fancy your chances.lol 

I'd guess the crematorium TBH. ;) Having my ashes scattered in the Batley trophy room where I'll get some peace. I await piggy's barbed response. :tongue:

I have the simple solution. Simply move it to another day.

Ok logistically it may be difficult but I am sure the ones organising the Tour would be willing move their event.  :tongue:

3.5 billion? lol how ridiculous. Some quick googling reveals a figure closer to 40 million for the 'peak' stages. I couldn't think of much more boring but each to their own.

Some combination of the words "watching", "dry", "paint" and "prefer" would describe my reaction to an opportunity to see Le Tour De France.  If they planned to ride around my backyard (which is all nicely paved for them in deference to my sciatica) I'd pull the curtains shut.

A R(EA)L RL fan would not even consider it for a nanosecond as an alternative to watching his/her team play. The only guys in hooped shirts he/she will be watching won't be wearing berets, and the only onion rings in which he/she will be interested will be those in the half-time snack bar.

BUT there's no doubt there could be some family pressure for hikes towards the bikes, in which case now is the hour to demonstrate who wears the trousers/leggings. 

Got to go now, SWMBO wants running to the supermarket.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/news/tour-de-france-the-facts

looks like they did BSJ.

sixth bullet point down.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics - Mark Twain.

To suggest 40% of the global population watched the Tour De France is ridiculous and a fiddle of numbers. HALF of the world live on less than £1.50 per day, do you really think they all rush home to watch the Tour De France? Come on, we're talking about 2.5 Billion living in India and China combined. Can you imagine it now, all gathered around a TV watching a European bike race.

Typical of a sport filled with cheats and corruption and I'll be honest - If the Tour De France was past my living room window I still couldn't muster up even the slightest bit of arsedness about it which seems to be the feeling of everyone else I know too.

probably the best example of a sport that the country is only interested in once a year (and then every four years when it's the olympics). rest if the time its confined to eurosport with the sumo wrestling and lacrosse.

an absolute triumph of marketing though. much like the froch-groves fight. live attendance at the event is nothing to do with getting a better view or understanding of the action, because surely if you were interested in the intricacies of the race / fight etc youd be better off watching it on telly instead of getting to watch just a shred of the event or watch the event from a ridiculous distance.

its all about saying you were "there".

unfortunately bread and butter domestic rugby league in this country doesnt have that appeal.

OK, I hear what everyone says.

I'm wrong, it won't affect the gate one iota.

:banghead:

i dont think itll affect the gate any more than half term did. but nobody really knows for sure.

point is that whatever the club does itll be hit by an avalanche of criticism. you may be thinking about the bigger picture, but a lot of dewsbury fans think only about their own preferences. and generally their preference is sundays at 3.00pm, especially those whove already bought a season ticket and booked their holidays around home games.

i dont think itll affect the gate any more than half term did. but nobody really knows for sure.

point is that whatever the club does itll be hit by an avalanche of criticism. you may be thinking about the bigger picture, but a lot of dewsbury fans think only about their own preferences. and generally their preference is sundays at 3.00pm, especially those whove already bought a season ticket and booked their holidays around home games.

Agreed. The other point is, where do you draw the line ? Change the date for the tdf and then what - well there's a footy tournament coming up, and England matches might clash with Rams games, So do we change those ? what about wombledon ? World kabadi championships ? The club will undoubtedly do what they think best.

Sunday for me anyway, dont like missing home games and im on holiday until late saturday night. sunday, bring a mate for a fiver for season ticket holders, dish out free junior tickets in town on the saturday and with a bit of luck wel get  more around 1k for the match. Thats what id do anyway. Big bargain promotions by the club usualy get taken up. ie, the cheap 900 season tickets we sold the year we won every league game in champ one, and bring a mate for free or for a fiver increases the gate usualy by 300 plus.. Lets try make it a positive and instead of talking down the crowd, lets make it a decent crowd.... 

Ever been to a live cycle race such as the TdeF DTID? If not how do you kow it's boring? The 12 million spectators along the route in a typical year's race obviously don't think so neither does the TV audience of 3.5 billion either.

Anybody whos never seen a big tour event its well worth seeing.Its not just a bunch of riders taking 30 secs to go passed.Yove the press and team buses etc. coming through.It takes at least an hour maybe the tour de france will take longer.Just make sure you can get back to the ground for kick off.

If the match is on Sunday, then it will need some extra marketing, bring a friend for a fiver, etc.. To counter those of us who will be missing.

If the match is on Sunday, then it will need some extra marketing, bring a friend for a fiver, etc.. To counter those of us who will be missing.

. Agreed but is anyone from the club listening??? As anyone contacted the club for a statement in case they haven't read the forum? If nothing's announced by tmora il give Angie a ring and ask her if the club can do a statement so we all know what's happening.

The Club will make an announcement once Swinton respond to the proposed change

offered by the Rams. The 2 clubs have to agree before any amendment will be

approved by the RFL.

The original contact was made in early May.

The Club will make an announcement once Swinton respond to the proposed change

offered by the Rams. The 2 clubs have to agree before any amendment will be

approved by the RFL.

The original contact was made in early May.

. Thanks WR.. Will the club be doing any promotions for the match? This match would be an ideal match for bring a mate for a fiver...

OK, I hear what everyone says.

I'm wrong, it won't affect the gate one iota.

:banghead:

now, now BSJ, we know you don't mean it! Youre spot on as ever. I ain't asking the club to move the game. It never crossed my mind, but you know what? Whatever the merits or otherwise of moving the game and I fully appreciate that most don't want it moved we will struggle to get 500 that day. As I mentioned there are 4 of us who won't be at the match.

I'm not interested in it , a sport ridiculously tainted by illegal substances. I'd be happy for the club to move the match but if they are it should have been done months ago to allow people to work around it. I guess it depends on if the main bar or other parts of the stadium are already booked.

A sport tainted by illegal substances................bit like the pot calling the kettle black is it not???