Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gary Coyle

And just as Zak was getting his act together

347 posts in this topic

Being discussed in the disciplinary thread Gary.

There was a video of it on the other forum.

Basically calls someone an f-ing cigarette (use your common sense to work out what he really said!).

Jamie Peacock also calls someone a bent c--- at some point, also on video.

Not acceptable.

I am not condoning that sort of thing ,but how many times have we seen Footballers over the years do the same thing?

I am not condoning that sort of thing ,but how many times have we seen Footballers over the years do the same thing?

Don't see the relevance of football? Football is about as far removed from being the benchmark for player behaviour as I can possibly imagine.

We can be rightly proud of the way our players have historically behaved, and it's up to referees to ensure that this doesn't continue to slip in future. A penalty for back chat was a regular occurrence when I was young, but seems to be increasingly rare these days as referees seem more inclined to accept backchat. The referees, taking direction from the RFL, need to lead on this and enforce the rules to ensure that mouthing off at every decision doesn't become a permanent feature of our game.

As for the particular language allegedly used by Hardaker, the mind boggles at how he could be so stupid and he should be severely punished to enforce the message that this is completely unacceptable.

Countless times. That doesn't make it acceptable though

I might be wrong but it does seem that since Referees starting calling players by their first and/or nick names

that familiarity started to breed contempt.

I might be wrong but it does seem that since Referees starting calling players by their first and/or nick names

that familiarity started to breed contempt.

Referees have always called players by their first name and I seem to recall Jim Mills giving a referee a lift to the game they were both taking part in! It does seem to have got a lot "chummier" though.

Tough one IMO. Whilst I definitely don't want to see players giving racial or sexist abuse etc, RL is a bloody tough game and the odd phrase might slip out. Can anyone here honestly say they have never had a scenario where insults like bender etc were used between mates? This doesn't mean you are homophobic, its just banter.

Tough one IMO. Whilst I definitely don't want to see players giving racial or sexist abuse etc, RL is a bloody tough game and the odd phrase might slip out. Can anyone here honestly say they have never had a scenario where insults like bender etc were used between mates? This doesn't mean you are homophobic, its just banter.

You shouldn't be yelling anything at the ref.

If I used that kind of language at work, I'd have to find a different career.

Know your audience. Being with mates is different to being on the job.

If I used that kind of language at work, I'd have to find a different career.

Know your audience. Being with mates is different to being on the job.

Effectively he was with mates really though.

He was performing on a public stage, for which he is paid handsomely. It is his responsibility to behave properly in such circumstances or face the consequences.

not at all mate. No way is that an excuse.

Your tongue must be coming through the side of your mouth :-)

All I am saying is that he wasn't in an office or something. Not that he shouldn't be taken to task over it but some perspective applied to the situation.

All I am saying is that he wasn't in an office or something. Not that he shouldn't be taken to task over it but some perspective applied to the situation.

The playing field is his office. I honestly don't see how his work mates being his mates makes any difference. I think it's you that's lost perspective here.

The playing field is his office. I honestly don't see how his work mates being his mates makes any difference. I think it's you that's lost perspective here.

Come off it, very few offices have other members of staff trying to knock seven bells out of each other. Things get said in the heat of the moment. Doesn't mean anything.

Don't see the relevance of football? Football is about as far removed from being the benchmark for player behaviour as I can possibly imagine.

We can be rightly proud of the way our players have historically behaved, and it's up to referees to ensure that this doesn't continue to slip in future. A penalty for back chat was a regular occurrence when I was young, but seems to be increasingly rare these days as referees seem more inclined to accept backchat. The referees, taking direction from the RFL, need to lead on this and enforce the rules to ensure that mouthing off at every decision doesn't become a permanent feature of our game.

As for the particular language allegedly used by Hardaker, the mind boggles at how he could be so stupid and he should be severely punished to enforce the message that this is completely unacceptable.

Countless times. That doesn't make it acceptable though

I said I am not condoning it which also means it is unacceptable.The point I am making now is that the unacceptable is now being enforced.

Come off it, very few offices have other members of staff trying to knock seven bells out of each other. Things get said in the heat of the moment. Doesn't mean anything.

Ah right, so that makes it ok then?

There's pressure in lots of jobs. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I await your acceptance of calling JJB something racist in "the heat of the moment" as they have a hard job.

Lots of things get said in the heat of the moment in offices.  Have you ever worked in an office?  But if anyone called anyone else an effing fag in an office they would be disciplined.  When you consider the number of players playing the sport on the TV each week relatively few are filmed behaving like Hardaker and Ablett.  In fact, we probably all know the players most likely to be caught on camera giving it the verbals, usually to the referee.  So the real problem is that those players are crossing the line, not that they are in a physical job. Those players need to get their act together.

You have a very reasonable point.  The other side of that is that if I said something inappropriate in my office, there would not be TV cameras and 10,000 watching live.  

It is more understandable to have a loose tongue in the circumstances, but also less acceptable.

You have a very reasonable point. The other side of that is that if I said something inappropriate in my office, there would not be TV cameras and 10,000 watching live.

It is more understandable to have a loose tongue in the circumstances, but also less acceptable.

They get paid a hell of a lot more than you or I do, and part of that is being in the public eye and behaving accordingly.

Like I say, if they can't do that, there are other jobs.

Trying to justify calling someone an f-ing f** on television when the governing body are working with communities and LGBT groups is counter-productive to what the game (and society) is aiming for.